Hilton Head - Savannah, Georgia

Old Mar 12th, 1997, 09:43 AM
Ron

Hilton Head - Savannah, Georgia

I plan to spend some time in early may in the Hilton Head / Savannah, Georgia area. Would appreciate any suggestions for local attractions to see while there as well as economical restaurants in the area.

Old Apr 23rd, 1997, 05:36 PM
Goose

It has been awhile since I have been to either, but I use to spend a lot of time down in the area when I was in college. Savannah is such a pretty city. Definitely go to the waterfront, the best budget meals are along the waterfront. Try the early-bird dinner specials at Corky's 407 E. River St, and the happy hours discounts at Kevin Barry's Irish Pub, 117 W. River St. with live Irish folk music Wed. thru Sun. after 9 pm. For good barbeque try Mammy's Kitchen 5794 Ogeechee Rd. They also have tours in Savannah, you can probably get a brochure at the visitors center on the way into SC, in Savannah or check with the hotel you stay at (the locals can always be alot of help). Hilton Head is a plenty with restaurants and to my understanding the nightlife scene is always changing. Check out Harbour Town in Sea Pines and Crazy Crab for dinner. There is a place called the Salty Dog, it is very laid back and outside in Sea Pines. Once again your best bet is to check when you get down there. They have boat rides that can be a dinner cruise, a mystery cruise or a dance cruise. There are so many things to do, jet skiing, skiing, fishing, ect. Oh, there is this restaurant, I forget the name, it sits on the Marsh and has glass for walls facing the marsh. Check it out for happy hour, it used to be a well kept secret of the locals. Well, I hope this has helped you out a little.

Old Apr 23rd, 1997, 05:38 PM
Goose

It has been awhile since I have been to either, but I use to spend a lot of time down in the area when I was in college. Savannah is such a pretty city. Definitely go to the waterfront, the best budget meals are along the waterfront. Try the early-bird dinner specials at Corky's 407 E. River St, and the happy hours discounts at Kevin Barry's Irish Pub, 117 W. River St. with live Irish folk music Wed. thru Sun. after 9 pm. For good barbeque try Mammy's Kitchen 5794 Ogeechee Rd. They also have tours in Savannah, you can probably get a brochure at the visitors center on the way into SC, in Savannah or check with the hotel you stay at (the locals can always be alot of help). Hilton Head is a plenty with restaurants and to my understanding the nightlife scene is always changing. Check out Harbour Town in Sea Pines and Crazy Crab for dinner. There is a place called the Salty Dog, it is very laid back and outside in Sea Pines. Once again your best bet is to check when you get down there. They have boat rides that can be a dinner cruise, a mystery cruise or a dance cruise. There are so many things to do, jet skiing, skiing, fishing, ect. Oh, there is this restaurant, I forget the name, it sits on the Marsh and has glass for walls facing the marsh. Check it out for happy hour, it used to be a well kept secret of the locals. Well, I hope this has helped you out a little.

Old May 2nd, 1997, 01:07 PM
Stephanie

By any chance did you go to SCAD? I lived in Savannah for 4 years and I went to SCAD. It is a great city. I always look forward to going back to visit. My favorites are Shrimp Factory, Fishermans Wharf, and those great Savannah Sweets on River Street. The pralines are the best.

Old May 2nd, 1997, 07:35 PM
Bob

Ron,
My wife and I spent 6 days in March in the Hilton Head area. In addition to spending time at Hilton Head and Savannah, I would suggest that a day set aside for a trip to Charleston would certainly be worth while.
Bob