Yellowstone Itinerary and other Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to finalize my Yellowstone itinerary for next year because I understand that they will open up reservations for the hotels for next year soon.

We are 40-something couple that enjoy outdoors, photography and wildlife - although we are not campers. I am very excited about finally getting to Yellowstone and have been reading all of the posts but have a couple of questions that I am hoping you all can help with.

What I have come up with so far--
Fly into Jackson with 2 nights at Grand Teton Nat'l Park - Probably Jackson Lake Lodge.
2 nights each at Old Faithful Inn, Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Mammoth Hot Springs Lodge.

I'm not sure 2 nights at each is too much moving around although I wanted to be able to see all of the different areas of Yellowstone Park. Also, is there a suggested order? I was thinking OFI, Lake Yellowstone and then Mammoth Spring.

We've never done Nat'l Park lodging before but from what I read - it is nothing fancy but far better for the location. Are these good choices? or should I be looking at other alternatives? From posts here I haven't seen much about Mammoth Hot Springs - has anyone stayed here?

All thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 01:27 PM

If you don't want to switch every two nights (and I agree), you'll be fine doing 3 nights each in Old Faithful Lodge and Lake Yellowstone Hotel.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Howard! That will be a lot less moving around for us - now just to see if I can get the hotels for the dates that I want.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 05:56 AM

We split our time in YNP just that, half the time at those two hotels and found they were geographically convenient.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 06:03 AM

I have stayed at a few NP hotels and they are rustic. Some of them you here a lot of what goes on in the rooms next to you and hallways. The Lake was newly renovated and was very nice. I didn't stay at Jackson Lake. Old Faithful was great. The location can't be beat. At this one noise from the hall if people were not quiet. Remember no air conditioning. Some of the resturants are very good and some are just okay.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:47 AM
AlJ

Splitting time between places is a good idea but splitting it every 2 days is a personal thing. To me, moving every 2 days has its own set of headaches. This June, we're spending 4 nights in Canyon and 3 nights in Roosevelt. Our last night is at Lake Jackson Lodge.

We stayed at Old Faithful last summer we're checking out other places this time.

Don't be afraid to get up early to see the wildlife. This trip is also a good excuse for a new zoom lens.

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone! I have decided that we will do 3 nights each at Lake Yellowstone and Old Faithful Inn. I still wanted to do at least 2 days for Grand Teton.

Issue is - best flights for us seem to be to Bozeman.

I've been looking over the map and trying to determine the best route. Originally had been thinking a loop but that was flying into/out of Jackson.

Suggestions as to the best route? We are looking at 9 days/8 nights for our total trip.
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:17 AM

Why not fly into Bozeman and out of Jackson? You can see the Mammoth Hot Springs area on your way into Yellowstone from Bozeman.