Yellowstone/Glacier - a cabin with a view

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2017, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip for late June to Yellowstone and Glacier NP's. I would love to be able to sit on the porch of my cabin and enjoy a nice view of the mountains ( I am from Louisiana - completely flat). If I can enjoy mountain view AND water, like a stream or lake, even better. I also like peaceful surroundings.

I was thinking about staying in Roosevelt because it is closest to two activities I really want to do - horseback ride and wildlife, but the cabins don't look like they are in a scenic area.

I know Yellowstone is big, but I would prefer not to have to pack and move every day. So...how scenic is staying at Roosevelt? What about the Lake area or Grant? Old Faithful area just seems like it would be so crowded and noisy and busy. I am thinking West Yellowstone would be kinda busy as well - in my mind, I am thinking it would be like Gatlinburg.

Out of park options - Silver Gate???
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Oh yeah...I would appreciate any insight into Glacier NP as well. Would like to stay in the Many Glacier area.

Thanks
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 08:34 AM

Snorklecat,

Its hard to find scenic cabins to check all your boxes inside tha parks. I usually camp at the Grant campground which is huge, but i think very nice. The do have a lodge there but the one Im thinking of is more like motel rooms. Otheres can probably report about cabins there.

Honestly the first thing that came to mind is the Signal Mountain lodge in Grand Teton. If you reserve a lakeside room, you will the one of the best views on earth. The Tetons aceoss Jackson Lake. It was expensive even off season on a warm Memorial Day weekend years ago, but worth every penny for the rather simple suite small kitchen.
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 08:45 AM

I stayed in a Lake Lodge cabin in September. There really isn't a view from the cabins themselves, but the lodge has a nice big porch overlooking Lake Yellowstone and the mountains beyond. I didn't get up to Roosevelt, so don't know about the cabins there.
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 03:31 AM

Your best views in the Many Glacier area will be at the Many Glacier Hotel. They have rooms with balconies that overlook Swiftcurrent Lake and the scenery is spectacular!
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 05:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
For Yellowstone, try to get one of the cabins at Mammoth. If you can't, get lodging in Gardiner Montana. There are float trips on the river starting in Gardiner.
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 07:55 AM

Some spots in Gardiner have lovely views, and it's especially nice if you are on the river. Very close to the park, but with more dining and lodging options.
Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the replies and the great suggestions!!
Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 02:04 PM

I'm bookmarking for good info. Thanks!
Old Oct 24th, 2017, 08:59 AM

We stayed at Riverside Cottages in Gardiner earlier this month and there are river and mountain views from some of the rooms. The two Balcony Suites and also Mountain Lion Efficiency have balconies that are perched over the river. The other units are either set back or face the parking area. There's a common area deck overlooking the river as well.

We also stayed at Signal Mountain Lodge this trip and agree it ticks all the boxes and is a great place to stay but not for visiting Yellowstone. You should however allot a few days to see Grand Teton too.

Roosevelt cabins are in the forest so I don't think they would have much of a view. We've never stayed there as we only go in off season when they're not open. It would be a very convenient location to cover both Lamar and Hayden Valleys for wildlife watching and I wish their season was longer.