COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Yellowstone and Tetons in June?

Old Mar 26th, 1997, 01:15 PM
Bob Levy

Yellowstone and Tetons in June?

Is June a good time to visit Yellowstone & Tetons?
Is it warm enough for river rafting?
We have 10 days. How should we split them
up between the two areas? Should we stay in different
parts of Yellowstone?
We are looking for nice (but not super expensive)
accomodations. I would appreciate any comments or
suggestions. Thanks.

Old Mar 31st, 1997, 07:55 PM
Lisa Davis

June should be great for rafting. We were there in September and the water was too low. Everyone said we should have been there during the spring.

Yellowstone is too big to stay in just one place.The canyon area was our favorite, although the geyser basins are also fascinating.

If you like hiking, split your time 50-50 between the parks. Yellowstone has the oddball features, geysers, hot springs, limestone terraces. The Tetons have spectacular mountain scenery. Our favorite trail in the Tetons was the canyon (Cascade?) which you reach by taking the little boat across Jenny Lake. There are also wonderful hiking trails around Colter Bay where you can rent boats or go on guided boat trips.

Have fun!

Old Apr 27th, 1997, 06:26 PM
James

We were last year the first of June. The snow melt made the Snake River swell its banks and made a our rafting trip exciting. Spend at least 3 or 4 days in the Tetons at Jenny Lake Lodge or Signal Mountain Lodge. If you have not make reservations yet it may be to late. The nights are brisk and days warm. Take plenty of hiking gear and comfortable shoes. Stay at different locations in Yellowstone. We liked the Lake Lodge and Old Faithfull Inn. Plan plenty of picnics and hikes. This is nature at its best!!!!

Old May 19th, 1997, 04:47 AM
Larry

Try the Yellowstone NP site - lots of info. Expect large crowds. Park so plan on 2-3 days, minimum. Lots of 'cute' animals but all are WILD and potentially dangerous. Film but do not pet or feed. http://www.nps.gov/yell/
Larry

Old May 19th, 1997, 10:38 AM
Sheri

My husband & I did an 8 day Tetons/Yellowstone trip last year; here's my opinion. Yellowstone definitely had some interesting & bizarre scenery (geothermal landscapes, etc.) but the Tetons were absolutely gorgeous (we were married on the shore of Jenny Lake during our trip). I'd do the whole Yellowstone loop but I'd spend the majority of my time in the Tetons. The Cascade Canyon hike IS fantastic - a definite must. Also, Jenny Lake lodge is expensive but very nice; Signal Mtn is a lot less expensive but not as nice either (although it was clean). Enjoy your trip; it will be crowded but worth it.

Old Jun 7th, 1997, 11:21 AM
Jeff

Went a few years ago with wife and daughter (about 9). The crowds can be large but we avoided much of this by starting our day at or before daylight. It was tough but worth it. No crowds and a lot of wildlife. Had the afternoon to relax at whereever we were staying. Need to make reservations many months in advance of your trip. We stayed at a nice cabin at the Jackson Lake Lodge. Also stayed at a tiny cabin at Old Faithful. Very basic but it was in the park (again helped up beat the crowds). Lked the Tetons more than Yellostone. Favorite hike was the Casades after the boat trip across Jenny Lake. The snake river raft trip was a mild adventure (no white water). Enjoyed several horsebak trips (make reservations before your leave home).

Old Jun 15th, 1997, 11:01 AM
Melissa

Bob, my husband and I went to the Tetons/Yellowstone last year and had a great time. You might want to stop at Jackson Hole if you're coming in that way. I liked the Tetons the best just because it is so beautiful. Yellowstone is interesting but not quite as majestic. In the Tetons, we stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge--it was nice. We took a raft ride down the Snake River--lots of fun. In Yellowstone, we stayed at the Old Faithful Inn and the Lake Yellowstone Hotel. Lake Yellowstone Hotel was more expensive but I really liked the Old Faithful Inn the best just because it had such great character and interesting history. I would recommend doing some cooking on your own. We didn't, we ate at all of the lodges and restaurants in the parks. The food is the same everywhere--institutional-like. When we got out of the park in Montana, we had the best breakfast we had had in days. The park food got old! We went in June also but it was not that crowded. We saw lots of wildlife in Yellowstone. You are more likely to see moose in the Tetons than Yellowstone. E-mail me if you have questions about our trip. Have fun!!!