Yellowstone & Grand Teton - Convince Me I'm Wrong

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

After taking trips that included Zion, Bryce Canyon, G.C. South Rim, Page, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Lower Calf Creek Falls, etc Fodorites suggested Yellowstone & Grand Teton.

Until I got distracted by other issues I started to research and plan.

However, I have to say that the photos I've seen of these two locations don't seem to get me as excited as the previous places I've been to.

Is it me or . . . . .
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellowstone is awesome. The variety of things to see is unrivaled in any of the other parks. We went in late June and there were lots of bison and baby bison and elk and baby elk and we also saw a moose and a bear. Then there are the geysers, not just old faithful, but the bubbling mud pots, and the mammoth hot springs and colored pools. Then if you are in to hiking, the park is huge with tons of opportunities. The waterfalls are much more impressive than anything I've seen at Yosemite or Zion. There is fishing in the rivers if that floats your boat. I consider this as one of the "places to see before you die" . We did a quick drive by of Grand Teton so I can't say much about the particulars there but what we saw was very beautiful. Go and you'll want to return again and again, I can't wait to visit in another season to see how it changes.
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:05 AM

Myer,
I have to agree with you on this! When we went I just knew I would not love it as much as other National Parks I had visited! But after going, it is worthwhile to visit both! There are so many interesting things to see, like emalloy pointed out! Although,Yosemite is still my favorite NP!!

Happy Planning!
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:11 AM

I have been to all the places on your list other than Page and Lower Calf Creek Falls, and I can't imagine missing Yellowstone and Grand Teton. The Tetons are the most spectacular mountain range I have ever seen. They simply rise up from the valley floor like no others. The actual landscape at Yellowstone is not as unusual as the Utah parks you list, but the geysers, etc and the wildlife make it a must see. It is like being on safari--only in America. As the previous poster mentions, Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is a fantastic waterfall. Don't miss these parks! I have been three times, and I would happily return again.
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:26 AM

I totally agree with Digbydog about the Tetons. They are the most spectacular. It's our favorite all the NPs.
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:27 AM

I have also been to several national parks (Yosemite, North Cascades, Olympic, Ranier, Glacier, Grand Canyon, Banff, Yoho, Jasper, Yellowstone and Grand Teton) and you will not be disappointed in either of these two parks. They are my personal favorites because of everything that they offer (animals, waterfalls, historic lodges, hiking, rafting, kayaking, horseback riding, etc.) I love the town of Jackson and there mountains are spectacular. Yellowstone is so big that it is really like multiple parks because of the landscape. If you ride a motorcycle, you should consider renting a BMW or Harley in Jackson and riding through the park. It is one of the best travel experiences that I have ever had.
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:38 AM

Do check the Yellowstone park site if you are thinking about going this summer as I think I heard about road work that was going to be done with some road closures. We did go in June so driving through and finding parking spots at the pull offs. This would mean planning on where to enter the park and what routes and times would be best to get the best experience. I know that this makes a difference as when we visited Yosemite in April a couple of years ago, the upper areas were closed and so all we could visit was the valley and it was crowded with people and traffic and the park service trolly was slow and crowded. The waterfalls were lovely but the total experience was underwelling.
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:55 AM

I don't know what photos you're looking at, but have to agree with others for the reasons they've given - these two Parks are some of the most amazing anywhere and are VERY different than the other places you've mentioned, both in physical attributes and especially wildlife.
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:57 AM
maj

Can' add too much to the other posts except that I agree with them. I'd kind of compare it to seeing pictures of the Grand Canyon and then seeing it in person. See each area of Yellowstone -- they are all different and appeal in different ways. Most of the people who return many times have fallen in love with the animals there -- who roam the park at will (you are the visitors). Don't go with the idea that you want to see (for example) a bear. Depending on the time of the year and the right place/right time you may not see certain animals. You will see plenty of animals though.
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody.

I guess I needed this to get re-engergized.

It cannot be this summer but I'll get back onto it soon.

Thanks again.
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:53 AM

I'm a little late to this discussion but I agree with the other posters. There are some places in the world to which photography cannot do justice. Many places in Alaska come to mind but Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons are definately on this list.
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:50 PM

I'm not that keen on Grand Teton, but there is nothing like Yellowstone in the world. THe only two places that come close geologically would be New Zealand and Iceland - not places most Americans ever visit.

There is something wonderful to stepping outside the Old Faithful Lodge Cabins and seeing a lone buffalo graze a dozen yards away next to a stream surrounded by stem vents.
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM

The scenery of the Southwest is quite a bit different from the scenery of the Rocky Mountains in Wyoming. Zion, Grand Canyon and Bryce are photographers' dreams come true. Every vantage point has a different picture to take and every hour lends a different lighting.

In Yellowstone, you do have very dramatic scenery such as Yellowstone Lake and the Canyon of the Yellowstone. But, the real attractions here are the amazing geothermal features and the wildlife. There is no place else like it.

And the Grand Tetons are one of the most beautiful Mountain ranges I have seen. If you haven't seen great pictures of them, you can not have been looking very hard. Just rent a copy of Shane and I think you will be convinced.
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:18 PM

I just have to chime in. As a resident of Jackson Hole for the last 13 years, I look on the Tetons every day. I never cease to be moved by their beauty. I am able to go into the parks regularly, and they only get better with familiarity. That said, each time we get a visit from relatives (which is often, living here), the first thing we do is head into the Parks. You can't go wrong visiting, no matter what activities you love!
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:22 PM

I'm pretty well known around here for my love and advise on the Utah National Parks but when asked what is my favorite National Park, I have to say Yellowstone. We have been to every major National Park in the west and nothing IMHO beats Yellowstone. Grand Tetons is just icing on the cake. You won't be sorry!

Utahtea
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:33 AM

I have to agree Yellowstone is a must see. I have been to almost all the national parks you mentioned and all are beautiful in there own way. Yellowstone has so many different aspects to offer all being so unique. The tetons are truly beautiful pictures do not do them justice. Another reason to go to Yellowstone would be to include a drive on the Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highway.Jackson hole and Cody are also great towns to visit. I don't think you will be disappointed in any of these places.
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Yellowstone was the first and its the Best. We have visited most of the National Parks in the US and they are great but nothing is like Yellowstone. You might want to take a float trip down the Snake when you are in the Tetons, they are fantastic. Whenever you go I am sure you will enjoy it.
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:39 PM

I have been to all of the parks you have been and LOVED Yellowstone, also. It is unique. If you were only going to Grant Tetons, I may have a different response but. of course, it fits nicely to do both.
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:25 PM

When and if you plan your trip to the Yellowstone area try to incude a drive over the Beartooth Pass Hwy Hwy 212 from Red Lodge, Mt to the NE entrance of the park a really great drive.
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I'm probably convinced.

Last year I started to look for the next destination and was researching a trip to Yellowstone & Grand Tetons.

Then I got derailed by a hip (part of the body) issue. I expect that will be taken care of soon and I'll get back on track.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -