Boston this weekend - suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Boston Saturday and Sunday, have been to Boston many times, to most of the usual destinations. We love walking around the different neighborhoods, down by the river, have done the Harborwalk. Weather predicted for high 40s. We're looking for any offbeat suggestions that wouldn't be totally reliant on a lovely sunshiney day. Anyone have any ideas?
Gail
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 06:30 AM

Have you done the freedom trail? It's well worth it.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 08:41 AM
yk

Hi gailw,

take a look at this "off the beaten path" thread for suggestions:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...and-beyond.cfm
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Yup, did the Freedom Trail long since.
YK's off-the-beaten path thread has provided some interesting new sites, however. Thanks very much. I can see a few possiblities that would be perfect for the weather and the company this weekend. I printed it off and will also save it in my "Boston" folder for the future.
gail
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 10:56 AM

Keep in mind that there is a winter storm watch for Thursday night into Friday. Right now its tracking for Central and Western MA projected for up to 15 inches while missing Boston. But if it turns at all, it could hit Boston. Most storms the past couple of years haven't missed Boston. Roads / sidewalks will be messy if this happens. Probably a longshot but something to track. Ground is warmer so it will probably not stick around too long (hopefully)

Have you gone to the top of the Prudential?
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

tchoiniere: yes, we're keeping an eye on that storm! we're very disappointed about the weather. We'd found a great deal on a Boston hotel a couple of months ago, but this coming weekend was the last weekend it was available, otherwise we'd have planned a later date. We were hoping to beat the NH spring by going south for the weekend, alas no such luck. Current forecast for Boston seems to be rain on Friday while we get snow (and maybe lots of it)up here.
yup, we've been to the top of the Pru (and enjoy the Legal Seafood in the Pru).
On yk's thread, I found the JFK library, which we've never been to before; the Mapparium which I've been to but the others in the group haven't; I was already hoping to hit the Athenaeum for the Edward Gorey show; and I never knew of the Ayer Mansion til I read through yk's list. Although the regular tour is for the following weekend, there's a phone number to make an appt and I'll give it a shot to see if someone could let us in this weekend.
The Forums are great, aren't they?
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 03:51 PM

How about the Mt Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge? Lovely walking on a clear or rainy day (the rain could add atmosphere!).

See http://www.mountauburn.org/

Mt. Auburn is incredibly beautiful!

And, it's not your typical Boston tourist site.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Mt. Auburn looks very beautiful and reminds me of the cemetery in Savannah, but I think we'll save that for a trip to Boston we have planned the last weekend of April. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 11:17 AM

yk knows the area with tips but tchoiniere is right about dire predictions...but so far mid-afternoon on 31st nothing.

Maybe indoors such as Boston Fine Arts Museum with newly opened wing? Or certainly Aquarium or some music or theatre. As for Mt. Auburn Cemetery we just did the audio tour a few days ago. This is a unique garden type cemetery with famous people buried. Shucks, we could loan you the CD!

Bill in Boston
[email protected]
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 12:03 PM

Here is a cite I came upon that might have some information on what's happening now. Click on the state then the area.

www.visitnewengland.com/
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 12:10 PM

If you are interested in art, my daughter, an art student in Boston, loves the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Also all the galleries at 450 Harrison av (see www.sowaartistsguild.com) and the ICA (www.icaboston.org).
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

The Aquarium is a good possibility. The admission price has always put me off in the past but this might be just the time to bite the bullet. We do love art, have been to Isabella's place many times. Never heard of the galleries at 450 Harrison Ave, so I'll check out the website above tonight, and also the visitnewengland site. Thanks a lot.
gail
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 03:32 PM

There is a discount for the Duck Tour (very touristy) on BuywithMe.com ($23 with the deal). I think I saw a segway tour discount somewhere too, but don't remember where anymore.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 02:22 PM
cw

I'd also recommend the new American wing at the MFA, if you're interested in museums and art. I also think if you haven't been to the JFK Library, it's worth the trip.

The Athenaeum is a good idea, and if you're interested in photography, you can see a small exhibit at the Massachusetts Historical Society on Saturday (closed Sundays). www.masshist.org

Enjoy the weekend--the snow here should all be melted though it might be a little slushy.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Just a quick follow up. We stayed at the Omni Parker and were given two king deluxe rooms that were very nice. Thanks to a tip here on the Forum, we signed up in advance for the Select Guest program and had delivered to our room coffee in a thermal carafe and juice of choice at our selected time in the morning. Very decadent and appreciated. Lobby area of the hotel is lovely, high ceilinged, full of carved wood. All staff were helpful and pleasant. All in all a very enjoyable visit.
The weather was ok: no snow, sun came out but quite windy, low 50s warmest. The folks we were with weren't too interested in doing any of the options I lined up, so I'll save the Fodorites' tips for another trip. We walked Newbury street, checked out some art galleries that had very interesting photography and ceramics, ate dinner in Chinatown, walked around Beacon Hill and down Charles Street, had lunch in a little place on Charles Street, tried to walk along the river but it was too cold/windy. A nice getaway.
Woke up today to more snow!
Thanks again to everyone who offered suggestions. We'll take you up on them on our next trip to Boston.
gail