Search

Xmas in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 12:59 PM
alan

Xmas in NYC

Our family is considering spending Christmas in New York City. Besides the obvious activities of shopping, window displays, sightseeing and plays, are there any special Christmas events? Any special church services on the Eve or Day? Places serving traditional dinners? How is the Radio City Christmas Show for a six year old? Suggestion and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 01:33 PM
Howard

I can't answer about the church services, but just being in New York at Christmas time is great! A wonderful, wonderful time in the city. And yes, a 6-year-old will love the show at the Radio City Music Hall!

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 10:38 AM
Bernard

I agree with Howard. Radio City Music Hall is perfect for a six year old. St.Patrick's Cathedral has an excellent midnight mass on Xmas eve. As for traditional dinners....It's been my experience that many of the better restaurants in NY close early on Xmas eve or are reserved for private parties. Even if you did find one open, it won't match a traditional family at-home dinner. Maybe someone else can help with the dinner part. But being in NY during Xmas is a great experience!

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 12:03 PM
ilisa

Does your family like the ballet? The New York City Ballet's production of The Nutcracker is the most spectacular production ever. An absolute fairy tale.

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 02:40 PM
Beverly

The Nutcracker ballet is a very special event for Christmas. I live in NY but I, myself, haven't been able to see it because of annual procrastination. Try to get your tickets soon or you will find out, like I have over and over, that it will be sold out. I believe many of the ballet dancers are children which makes the performance that much more special.

Old Jun 12th, 1999, 05:18 AM
Cira

I was in NYC for Xmas last year and it was just breathtaking and spectacular. One special warning this year...it might be even MORE populated due to the year 2000 celebration. Have fun!

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 10:30 AM
alan

Thanks to everyone for the comments. We will definitely book tickets to the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Show. The midnight mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral and the Nutcracker ballet are also great suggestions we were not aware of and will look further into it. Aloha.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 11:31 AM
Howard

Check back here in a couple months or so, and I'll post info on getting tickets to the NY City Ballet's production of Nutcracker. It's the best. You and your 6-year-old will be enchanted.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 08:03 PM
Vicki

Christmas time in NYC - the only time to go. It is absolutely breathtaking. Be sure to stay near Central Park and enjoy the scenery. Rockettes are amazing, as well as Rockefeller Center all decorated. Be sure to go to the top of the Empire State Building, or World Trade Center at night for the fabulous views.