Reload this Page >

Free Parking in D.C.

Search

Free Parking in D.C.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 1999, 12:17 PM
Dennis Spencer

Free Parking in D.C.

A few years ago, you could park for free on Ohio Drive on the weekends and holidays. Is that still the case? Are there other free areas around the Mall as well. What time do you need to arrive in order to still find a spot?

Old Jun 12th, 1999, 01:27 PM
bigthinkers

We just got back from D.C. and the only free parking (in fact, the ONLY parking) we saw were reserved spaces for people with a pass of some sort. We had a terrible time finding parking anywhere near the Mall, and by the grace of God happened upon a metered space that had just been vacated. We had to pump quarters into it every two hours. I hope you have better luck than we had.

Old Jun 13th, 1999, 08:04 AM
Jud Compton

In our two extended trips in Washington, we had NO car. We used buses. Some people use the Metro, but we liked having a driver who could answer our perplexed questions. It's a good way to get around. Good luck on parking!

Old Jun 13th, 1999, 11:42 AM
Jess

Dear Dennis,
A word to the wise.....on one of our trips to the "district" we parked at a street close to the metro that had a sign that said "NO STANDING FROM HERE TO CORNER". Fair enough. There was only one space left and we parked there and made sure that we didn't "stand".
After visiting the mall area we returned at the end of the day to no car. It had been towed. In the "district", " no standing" means no parking during certain hours. That lesson in "district speak" cost us much time and about $60.00. we are still furious about it today, but what can one expect from a city where the mayor snorts and the city is operated by the Federal Government. Thus beware of the unannounced tax system of parking tickets used in D.C. I'll take a speeding trap anyday cause at least I can understand why I got a ticket!

Old Jun 13th, 1999, 12:26 PM
Phyllis

20 years ago I could park right in front of the main Smithsonian building. Did not notice much parking at all on my last trip in March. Take the Metro; it's not expensive, it's fast and clean and safe. When it was late or we didn't feel like walking blocks to the Metro stop, we just took a cab. It will probably be cheaper than parking lot fees or a tow.

Old Jun 13th, 1999, 12:38 PM
Howard

Here's some general advice to Jess: Whenever you see any sort of "No Standing" sign, it inherently also means "No Parking"! I've never found it to be different in any city.

Old Jun 13th, 1999, 02:18 PM
ilisa

Yes, you can still park on Ohio Drive. Additionally, there is parking on the Ellipse that is free. However, you have to be there very early on the weekends to get a space. Even then, Ellipse parking is difficult to come by because many spaces are often taken by White House staffers. But it does exist and it is free. Do you really need to have car? Downtown is so accessible by metro that is really isn't worth the aggravation of trying to find parking.

Old Jun 13th, 1999, 04:34 PM
Jess

Thanks Howard,
But I must say none of our party of six, all having traveled extensively in the U.S. and Europe, have ever seen a "no standing" sign before OR SINCE this tax scheme caught us in '87. Then again, maybe that is why none of us are trapped in concrete jungles and usually deal with folks who mean what they say..and say what they mean! However, we all know that does not go on in the "district". That's too bad because we would all be better off.
By the way, are there any other signs that say one thing and mean another that we should be aware of? ("district speak").

Old Jun 13th, 1999, 06:12 PM
charlie> j

Yo Jess, sounds as if you got a problem with D.C.--lighten up fellow that was a while ago.Sounds to me like you're dissed over your own mistake,forget it,go back to D.C.enjoy yourself and leave your wheels at home.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 05:12 AM
martha

Jess--were you and your fellow travellers all from the same area? I'm amazed you'd never seen a "No Standing" sign before. I grew up in the Northeast in a town so small we couldn't even have our fireworks display on the Fourth of July--no firworks company would bother with us on the actual day--but I saw plenty of "No Standing" signs even before I moved to the big city, and I recall, I had to know what it meant to get a learner's permit.
Why were you even in DC if you have such contempt for it?

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 05:26 AM
Joe

The problem isn't Washington but cars and big cities. In fact there's more unmetered parking in downtown Washington than in other large cities. The problem is that here, like everywhere else, there are more cars than spots. Use common sense, and if you're not willing to risk tickets, find a lot (there are plenty of empty spaces on weekends) or park in the burbs and use the Metro. Washington is a gracious city to visit but it is, after all, a city.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 06:19 AM
Howard

I echo what the last few posters have said in response my earlier comment on "No Standing" signs. I can't ever remember being in an American city that did NOT have these signs! Also, as previous posters have said, "Lighten up, Jess!"

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 08:26 AM
Neal Sanders

Dennis, there are three streets that offer two-hour free parking. One, as you point out, is Ohio Drive between Memorial Bridge (roughly 23rd St.) and the Jefferson Memorial (roughly 15th St.) This is the road through the Mall area that hugs the north shore of the Potomac. The other two streets are Jefferson and Madison, the two streets that define the north and south boundaries of the Mall between 14th St. and 4th St. Parking is intermittent, with lots of red zones. A final area is up by the Ellipse, roughly at 16th St. and Constitution.

As Ilisa points out, however, it is a great way to burn gas and raise your temper. Most of the spaces are gone by 8:30 a.m.; and they turn over infrequently thereafter.

Metro and the tour busses go where you need to go, so remote parking is far and away the best alternative. By the way, downtown garage parking is roughly $18 a day.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 06:03 AM
Paul Rabe

I had to read "Buckhorn Bunch" twice before I figured out that he really DID park his car in front of a sign saying "No Standing" and was then surprised he got a ticket. But what do you expect from someone who thinks Marion Berry is still the mayor of Washington D.C.? (It's Anthony Williams, BTW)