WW 2 monument visit with family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help with any suggestions from what airport to use (Reagan or Dulles) from Chicago to where to stay in the Washington D.C. area. Will be traveling with my 12 year old son and his grandparents to visit the WW 2 Veterans' Monument among other museums, etc. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Will be traveling in late October.

Thank you.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:46 AM

definitely National airport if you can. it's worth paying extra to not have to take a 35 mile taxi ride, each way.

you are coming at a nice time of year, weather wise. sunny, not too hot. October last year was by far the nicest month we had!

what is your budget for hotels?
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Budget is generous as we are giving this trip as a gift for my parents' 55th wedding anniversary. Again, any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:54 AM

I'm going to disagree with Flygirl, and tell you that Reagan (DCA) is the best airport if prices are somewhat close. But go for the BEST airfare you can get, and don't overlook Baltimore-Washington International (BWI) either. Southwest flys from Midway to BWI and you can get from there to DC pretty easily, and cheaply, using public transportation. My preferences for the 3 airports are DCA, BWI, then IAD. I'll provide BWI/DC transit info if you need it - no sense cluttering your thread if you've no interest in BWI.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Would prefer the most convenient way to travel as my parents are both in their late 70's and my father uses a cane for walking. I, again, appreciate the information.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 06:04 AM

Hi

BWI may be an option, but it would have to be a very cheap ticket for me to consider it, even when I lived downtown (personal preference).

If your parents are in their 70s, the extra time & public transport hassles may be taxing. maximize your time in DC, not on the train. I'd pay a lot extra to come into National actually, to visit DC. It's right across the river, 15 minutes to get into town if you WALKED, you can see all the monuments as you fly in, etc. (something you can't do other than with a commercial aircraft anymore)
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Great input. Any suggestions on where to stay? The Four Seasons will be going through renovations at the time that we will be visiting. The Willard Intercontinental was recommended by the Four Seasons. Again, being somewhat close to the monuments, etc.; would be great.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 07:08 AM

Hi,

Can't help with hotels, since I live here! How about the Mayflower, it's nice, and it's close to the White House?

there's also a lot of stuff down in Penn Quarter, which bustles. But it's more nightlife and all, which my guess is you won't care about with your parents.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My own personal preference would be the Willard as it is a bit closer to the monuments and the mall musuems & galleries than the Mayflower. But both are wonderful luxury hotels. Given your dad's mobility issues and all the walking involved in touring, you may want to catch a cab to the mall.

Consider adding a visit to Arlington Cemetery to your itinerary. You can ride the Tourmobile through the cemetery; it leaves from the Visitor's Center.

October is a wonderful time to visit DC.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:36 AM
hpl

Given mobility issues, a cab will be appropriate regardless of hotels. I've never stayed in the Willard but it's location is great.

I'm a big fan of the Mayflower and cabs are always available; be aware however that the halls are long for walking. The Mayflower takes up most of a city block.

You might also consider the Hay-Adams, just reopened after what appears to have been a substantial renovation. It's right next to the White House.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

These are all great suggestions. Thank you, as I have never visited Washington DC and am very much looking forward to it. How about any restaurant suggestions? We are very flexible with our culinary desires.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 10:34 AM

for restos, I would say check out

www.washingtonpost.com

and hit the entertainment link up top

there is a really cool search function on restos. it is by 'hood and by cuisine. also price, and editors picks.