WVA Trip Report for BayouGal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trip was great even though I waited too late to get adequate rooms in one of the parks (would have loved Hawks Nest and called every day for a week hoping for cancellations!) We ended up staying two nights in one of the 'name' motel chains in Beckley.

Day 1:

Took Skyline Drive from our home in MD 'burbs of DC to Beckley. Hazy mountain view (I'm convinced these mountains are a part of the Smokey Mountain chain as hazy is the only way I have ever seen this route!). Wildlife and wildflowers all along the way. Nice drive.

Day 2: Drive up #19 to New River Bridge with side trip to Thurmond (slightly disappointed with Thurmond...sigh...and don't recommend it). New River Bridge is just as incredible as photos depict. There is a wonderful visitors center with film strip presentation of the ecology and history of the area as well as the construction of the bridge. There are two overlooks of the bridge: One without steps which gives a very obscured view and another (down 187 steps...yes, to get out, you have to come back UP those same steps...sigh!) Wonderful view from the latter.

Then we took the drive described in one of the park brochures that goes to the old bridge. That side trip (about 30-45 minutes) yielded other incredible views of the bridge, views that my handicapped mother was able to enjoy since she could not do the steps. This is a "must do" if you go to the bridge.

Then a drive to Babcock State Park to see the Grist Mill...water too low for the mill to run, but scenic (which is what we travel for) and a nice man working there to tell us all about the area. We were astonished that in early August there were still some very fresh blossoms on the rodendedrum plants.

Back to I-64 for return to motel with the stop that capped the day: Grandview Overlook. Just an incredible almost panaromic view of the area! Some haze had burned off by then and the 5 mile ride was well worth the diversion!

Day 3:

Tamarak (West Virginia Craft showroom and shop). These incredibly talented people do collector's quality work: paintings, quilting, woodwork, blownglass, etc. Also included there are products from their wineries and processed food businesses.

Stop at overlook about 5 miles south of I-64E to see Sandstone falls. Again, river too low to make it spectacular enough to continue the additional 30 miles roundtrip (on narrow winding roads) to see the main, ground level falls overlook.

Then to Charlottesville, VA for overnight. Drive around UVA campus.

Day 4:

Tour Montecello followed by a drive up VA route 231 (scenic; reminiscent of Kentucky horse country)

Back home

This was a quick getaway, enough for us to escape the blistering heat that inundated the DC area while we were away. We saw numerous deer and wild turkey in the park areas while on this trip. There is much more to do in these areas if one is fit enough for hiking, but for the drive-by tourist, this was exactly what we were looking for.

Thx to all who had imput in helping motivate me to put this together.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Some of my photos are posted here:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/308353/index.html
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Too bad you directed this posted only to one poster.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

I assumed when I posted to her

a. it would more likely grab her attention and

b. anyone who was interested in WVA would also read it.

Please see the post titled: How many Fodorites does it take to change a lightbulb?

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Pollyvw, I sincerely appreciate the kindness you have shown me in the title of this thread, especially after the mess up with the original thread where you asked questions about W. Virginia. [Talk about run on sentences!] But as you can see, there are going to disgruntled people no matter how good our intentions.

It sounds like you had a great trip! I am so glad you posted a trip report, and your photos really capture a lot of that West Virginia beauty. Between those and your report, a lot of travelers to this area will be helped.

My father's family is from W Va, and I have a special fondness for that area - even more so now, since he recently passed away.

Isn't it nice to have places like this nearby to get away from it all and enjoy those "drive-by tourist" types of trips? Glad you had a great time!

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Polly, I read your report and was sad to see nobody responded to it. I concluded because it is directed to only one person. I apologize if I did something wrong by responding to your post and bringing it to the top.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Earlxx, thanks for bringing this post to the top. Don't worry, I have no doubt that anyone traveling to West Virginia will find it and find it most helpful! Thanks, again, Polly!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Polly,
Glad you had a good trip. Hope next time you get "haze free" weather. It really isn't like that all the time.

This summer when it has rained there have been major storms but it has been so-o-o-o hot... part of the reasons the waters are low.

Did you eat at any of the good "non - chain" restaurants?

I've been all over WV and don't think I've ever been to Thurmond, was curious as to why you chose it as a place to visit, so I looked at their website. Looks like maybe it is a place a train enthusiast would enjoy.

To put on your list of places to take your mom: I think I told you about Canaan Valley, WV before. Wanted to let you know that it is beautiful in the fall when the leaves change colors. Normally it is about mid-September. They even have a Leaf Peepers Festival.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Lvsun, actually I chose Thurmond because I was just following the webposted 'trail' around the area. And since I was starting from Beckly, it was enroute to 'the Bridge.' Really, the route to Thurmond was interesting...very narrow, winding road (one lane in some places), scenic and passed through sparcely populated areas where people had beautiful flowers in their yards. Can't remember now exactly what guide books said about it except 'visitors center open 9-5 daily'...of course, when we arrived around 10 AM it was deserted with 'closed' signs that looked as if they had been in place for months. No worries, I have had less enjoyment from a much greater expenditure of time and money.

TY for recommending Canaan Valley. I have been trying to think of a place close by to take Mother to enjoy fall foliage. I fear that will be too early for me to get away as we have a committment in late September in another part of the country (a family thing, you know ). Will file it away for another another year. TY so much.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 07:34 PM

I spent the night in Thurmond on my visit. An old hotel right in the middle of town. I felt like we had stepped back decades in time.

Your train enthusiast may enjoy the view of a loaded coal train rumbling down the tracks just yards from the window! Actually, the entire experience was one of the most memorable travel memories ever.

We went in order to whitewater raft in wild and wonderful West Virginia.