Wrightsville Beach - Shell Island Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any reviews or input on the Shell Island Hotel, 2700 N. Lumina Avenue, Wrightsville Beach, NC would be appreciated.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 08:50 AM

Don't know much besides the fact that it's built on top of an inlet and threatens to fall into the ocean every time there's a storm due to all of the erosion. They've been shoring the place up to keep that from happening for years.

I wouldn't stay there because I'm from there and remember what an ecological disaster it was when the put that big ole' ugly place up. (Dune preserves destroyed, etc.)

You could check tripadvisor.com
There are usually quite a few reviews on most every property.

May I suggest a nice condo or beach house instead?
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

I am only there for 3 nights so I feel a hotel will be better. I am also considering Blockade Runner. Holiday Inn sounds great but there rate is
219.00 for oceanfront with balcony. That's way too much for an October stay.
Blockade Runner is about 150.00.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 09:55 AM

HOliday Inn is the newest and nicest. Blockade Runner is in the middle of the beach. Shell Island is nice--and it is an ecological disaster waiting to happen but probably won't in the 3 days you are there. BR "may" be a bit on the old side I have heard.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:12 AM

I thought Shell Island was privately owned condos.

If you like the sensation of "Oh my God, the building is going to fall into the ocean within an hour" you might like Shell Island.

You might want to check with a real estate office to see if they have rentals of less than one week.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 12:36 PM
cfc

Hi, we're very fond of Surf Suites, which is a ways away from the commercial interests but next to the Oceanic Restaurant and pier. It's not plush, but has been renovated.

You might get a better deal with the Holiday Inn via the web or AAA. The BlockadeRunner is the traditional favorite -- and click on the link to their webcam that you can find on their website -- my FAVORITE live webcam, of the surf out front of the hotel.

Avoid Shell Island. I'm sorry for the owners inevitable loss, but on the other hand, tax money has already bailed them out once (or more?) -- never should have been built there. You just don't want to stay at a place where your ability to enjoy the beach depends on the sandbags holding off the inlet. If you are there after or during a big blow, you might not have a building to go to.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 03:32 PM

I stayed at Shell Island many times years ago and this past October returned. The rooms are a living room with full kitchen, two baths and a nice sized bedrooms. End units have two ocean view windows and all rooms are ocean views with small balconies. The decor, etc is a bit faded but clean. The location is quiet. The beach was in pretty good shape.

I share the sentiments that it is annoying to see tax dollars used to bail out some private owners...they should not have built there in the first place.

The Holiday Inn is high because it is a brand new hotel, rebuilt after one of our bigger storms. The Blockade Runner is generic hotel with some oceanview rooms, some get the parking lot and the Waterway.