Reload this Page >

Would you do Cooperstown from NYC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Shirley

We're family of 5 and we're all very avid baseball fans, taking 10-day trip to NYC in August. Would it be worth our while to take a day trip to Cooperstown? That's where the Baseball Hall of Fame is located, right? I hear it's about a 5-hour drive one way.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Jan

Shirley, if you enjoy baseball it's worth it, but you do planon staying overnight don't you? 5 hours to get there, 5 hours back and at least 3 hours through the museum, plus time for lunch and or dinner...

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 03:46 PM
suzanne

I don't think it's 5 hours, it's roughly 4. I wouldn't recommend doing it all in a day - it's a bit much. I went a couple years ago and spent 2 hours in the Baseball HOF one evening, then came back the next day for 3 hours. I really liked it, even though I'm not really a huge baseball fan. I stayed at the Otesaga one night and the Inn at Cooperstown the next night. Both are very good, though the Otesaga (a grand old golf resort on the lake) is pricey.

Actually, some major exhibits (?) have been moved to the Museum of Natural History (in NYC) for the summer, so you may not need to haul yourself all the way up there, if it's the HOF that you're interested in.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Geoff

Would I do Cooperstown as a day trip in only one day? Not a chance. But as a side trip of a couple of days, absolutely. Not only would I stay over night, I would make a two day overnigter out of it. There are very nice places up the Hudson like Hyde Park and Old Rhinebeck that warrant a trip there, and then go on to Cooperstown by staying somewhere in between. Do Cooperstown the next day, and again stay outside the city returning the day after.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:48 PM
JON -NYer

HI,
I've done NY to cooperstown and back in one day - its perfectly doable but you're in the car atleast 8 hours - not counting heavy city traffic getting in and out.
There is an Exhibit at the museum of Natural History in NY that has brought some Cooperstown displays to NYC which I have seen. It gives a nice Flavor of what Cooperstown has in store, but obviously not nearly as many as actually going there.
JK