Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Would we be crazy to rent a car to drive from New York to Boston area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family (2 adults and 2 teens) are planning an east coast trip next summer. I had orignally planned for us to train to Boston, stay a few days, rent a car to visit Concord and Salem for a few days, return to Boston and fly home. I am now wondering if it would make more sense to rent the car from New York, visit the outlying Boston areas first, and then end in Boston. We would save the cost of the train fares and the need to go and come from Boston.
Am I making sense?

I guess the question is: How crazy is it to rent a car and drive out of New York? Where should we pick up the car to avoid the worst of the traffic? Is the driving really that bad? We live in San Francisco and have driven in Europe (including England and Paris) so have some experience with demanding driving. Any advice will be appreciated!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 01:51 AM

Hi
We are an English family, we flew into New York, stayed a couple of nights, picked up a rental car from the airport and drove up to stay with friends in Maine (Falmouth).
We didn't find it crazy at all! However, we did have an overnight stay on the way up (pre-booked). Our destination was a good couple of hours drive further on from Boston.
Yes, the traffic was busy, but a good map and a decent navigator to see you out of New York will be fine. We found the roads well sign-posted, and the traffic certainly no worse than England. It also gave us a flavour for the places we drove through, and we stopped whenever and wherever we fancied. Like you we did have 2 teenagers with us, and it wasn't a problem - I'd say go for it.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 02:21 AM

I am usually in the minority when this question is asked, but I do not think you are crazy. Things to keep in mind - parking in Boston is very expensive, even at hotels and your options for trying to cut that cost are rather limited. Once you park the car, leave it there for touring inside Boston, and just use it for your other day trips.

It sounds as if you are planning to fly into NY and out of Boston - check on prices of this, since it could really negate any savings you made on not taking the train. If you plan to leave NYC around 10 AM and drive straight to Boston, you will avoid the whole northeast rush hour, which is really 3 hours in the AM and 3 hours in the PM.

You could stop for one night in Concord and then head into Boston for the remainder of your trip.

We always prefer a car - I guess we are just used to being glued to that seat. Especially with our teenagers since they always bring so much junk, like to spread out in the car, and need to stop to be fed quite frequently.

Let us know where you are staying, etc. and we will all be happy to get in an argument here about best routes to take. Driving around Boston is always an adventure. I guarantee you will get lost several times and people will beep at you and gesture in non-friendly ways. If you can tolerate the frustration of getting lost and ignore the other, you will be fine.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 03:19 AM

I agree with gail -- the car does make sense financially and logistically, especially if you do your suburban things first and then return the car to do the things right in Boston. Or, you could stay in a suburban hotel that offers highway access, free parking and a shuttle to the nearest subway ("T") stop -- there are several in Quincy and Braintree, on the T's Red Line. Quincy and Braintree also hav their fair share of historic sites -- presidential birthplaces and shuch.

The only detail on which I differ with gail is that I would leave NYC earlier. At 8 or 9 AM, you'd be heading out against the main rush-hour traffic. It would also eat up less of your day and put you in the Boston area safely before their rush hour, which seems to start earlier and earlier these days.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:34 AM

You're not crazy. But I think there is a surcharge if you rent a car in NYC. Are you renting at the airport or in Manhattan?

To avoid traffic, you could take a train from Grand Central Station to Stamford Conn., a 45 minute ride and rent a car there for your drive to Boston. Definately Hertz, Avis and maybe National. The RR station is right off Interstate 95 in Stamford exit 7, so it would be easy to get right on the highway and cruise to Beantown. Have fun!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:44 AM

I have to agree with Lewis... it makes it much easier!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:04 AM

Are you crazy? No, but I wouldn't do it. As someone else mentioned, there is a big premium to rent a car in NYC. You can expect it to cost approx. $100 a day, with taxes and basic liability insurance. The traffic up 95 is awful at virtually any hour of the day and any day of the week. And parking in Boston will be hellish and expensive.

The only sane way to do it would be how gail suggested.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:17 AM

No - you're not crazy. the drive to Boston is easy unless the weather is bad - and there's some pleasant scenery on the way.
the whole trip takes about 3.5 hours - less if you're going to stop to see things before Boston.

Car rentals are expensive in NYC - but so is train travel for 4 people - and IMHO going by car is way more pleasant. Not sure if it costs less to rent at the ariports or not. My suggestion would be to rent on the upper west side and then jump on the west side higway - you can easily do this at 8 am and traffic will be minimal.

Then follow the WSH as it becomes the Henry Hydson Parkway, then the Saw Mill River and - as soon as you get to Westchester take the Cross County Parkway to the Hutchinson River Parkway. Follow the Hutch until it becomes the Merritt in CT and then proceed from there. This avoids the whole issue of 95 - which is quite unpleasant - millions of overloaded trucks. And the parkways are much prettier scenery and more fun driving (lots of hills, curves, cute little streams - and no nasty trucks to defend against.)

And if you drop the car as soon as you reach Boston you will avoid any hotel parking charges (also not sure why anyone would think these are to awful - we;ve done it a bunch of times and I think it's only like $25 per day.)

Car is definitely the way to go - especially for 4 people.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:50 AM

The Amtrak train ride is scenic and may be easier and more enjoyable for you. I would compare costs of renting vs. the train and time. Amtrak from Penn Station to Boston should be about 4 hrs...Acela would be faster.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. With your encouragement (mostly) I think we'll bite the bullet and try the car rental. Thanks for the advice about the NYC surcharge -- I'll check out various options. We'll drop off the car as soon as we get to Boston as I don't think we'll need it while we're in the city. Gail, I liked your mention of those delightful hand gestures! Thanks also, nytraveler, for the scenic route suggestions -- sounds like 95 is to be avoided and I'd much rather take a more pleasant route.

As always, you guys are great!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 09:47 AM

If you want to save some money on car rental, rent from Enterprise in Hoboken, NJ. It's much less than NYC unless it's a holiday weekend, in which case it works out to be close.