Would this trip be overwhelming?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2003, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please let me know if this is biting off more than we should chew. We were going to go to Steamboat springs and see the natural springs and camp there one night, or should we do two? Then go to Rocky Mtn. Nat Park and Camp at Timber Creek the next day, then go down to Glenwood Springs and take the bike trail(18 mi) down the canyon and stay the night there. Go to Black Canyon next with a stop at Maroon Bells to sightsee on the way. Stay at the South rim of Black Canyon 1 night then travel to Durango and see Mesa Verde spend the night in Durango then take the Durango Silverton train and stay the night in Durango again. Leave for Alimosa and sightsee the Great Sand Dunes then camp at Alimosa that night then go up to the Royal Gorge the next day and ride the train there and sightsee. Camp at Royal Gorge then see Garden of Gods and camp there 1 night. Go to Denver then home. We would get to Steamboat Springs May 30th and Leave Garden of Gods the June 7th. Is this trip doable in 10 days, 9 nights with 2 small children in the motorhome? We were thinking of taking the coyote trail in RMNP. Would it be worth it, and doable with the kids? Should we skip Maroon Bells? Is Wolf Creek pass scary? How long would it take to get from Rocky Mtn N.P. to Glenwood springs? How long from Alimosa to Royal Gorge? On the map it looks doable, but we are from Iowa and don't have those Mountains to go around. Thanks for any help you could offer. We leave in 4 days...May 27th, 2003
Old May 24th, 2003, 08:50 AM

A lot of people will tell you it is too much and to slow down but we like to travel like you and see a lot of things. I think it is doable.

Even though you can spend more time, most of the places you are going can be seen in a few hours.

Wolf Creek Pass is not bad but will be slow in your RV. People do it all the time though all over mountainous areas.

We are flatlanders too and have learned that it takes longer to get places in the mountains than it looks on the map. The drive from Ouray to Durango will definitely take longer than it looks.

Be sure to give yourself a little time to stop in Ouray. I would say the same about Silverton but you will be going there by train. I would suggest doing the train one way, especially with small children. They have buses that take you back down.

A great web site for RV travel info is www.rv.net/forum
Old May 24th, 2003, 09:33 AM

I agree with Connie, and it sounds like a great vacation! We too, try to see as much as possible, sampling a taste of all the grandeur of the west, instead of focusing on only one or two areas.

For example, the Great Sands Dunes are really cool, but after you walk out on them, theres not much else left to do. (and watch your little ones closely there as you can easily get lost). Or you could spend lots more time at Mesa Verde, but one night was enough for us too, we loved the "Cliff Palace Tour' and then moved on to explore something else.

Having said that, we will return again to places we find especially thrilling, but still continuing to see as much as possible in our 3-4 week wild west adventures. Its totally a personal preference, but it works GREAT for us and i'm sure you'll have a blast, too. You're going to some incredible places!
Old May 24th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Ellen and Connie for letting me know that it is doable - so we'll go for it then. Your encouragement makes me more confident and thanks for informing me about Ouray and about taking the train to Silverton then the bus back. That is probably a good idea with the kids. Do you know if you still have a lay over in Silverton if you take the bus back? I know that we will take more trips to Colorado in the future because there is so much to do...Thanks again you've been a big help!
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:17 AM

Don't miss the Maroon Bells. It's one of my favorite places in the world. Only problem is that in the summer you have to take a bus it, they do not allow cars, so you better find out what time of year they start that program. From the parking lot you can go for a short loop hike that takes in lots of streams, bridges, wildflowers, great for kids. I think the drive from Rocky Mtn Park to Glenwood Springs would take 4-5 hours but I am not sure. Like the other posters said, you have to allow a lot longer in the mountains. Distances that look close can take forever( ie 6 hours from Aspen to Denver) Chris
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ChrisCal, You've answered some more of my questions. I was thinking of maybe skipping Maroon Bells but now you've changed my mind. The hike sounds nice too! Greatly appreciated.
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:29 AM

BTW, we spent a night at Glenwood Springs which for us, might have been one night too many. We stayed at the historic Hotel Colorado, not worth the cost, imho.

We didn't do the bike trail, but wished we had....instead we spent the afternoon at the HUGE springs pool. While it may be world renowned, it was jsut ok. Fun for awhile, and the water slide was okay, but very crowded and it of course, it rained off and on.

Be sure to check into Royal Gorge before you go. When i was there as a kid, you could park and walk across it for free. Now i think its somewhat of an amusement park too, with a higher admission fee...? I'm sure someone here will know.
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:37 AM

It would help me give you a realistic opinion if I knew whether or not you are an experienced camper. Also, are you tenting or using a trailer or a van? Are you mixing in motel stays?

If you are going to Rocky Mountain NP and NOT driving over Trail Ridge Road, you are missing the best part of the whole trip.

Also I think you are underestimating travel times. For starters, how do you propose to drive from the Bells to the Black Canyon? There is a dirt road, but are you planning on taking it?

Also having done those kinds of camping trips when I was 30, I realize now that a lot of effort went into setting up each day and tearing down the next morning.

As the Mom of the family, you will have your hands full. You will have extra chores to do in a less than idea setting while taking care of two children who probably will be of little help.

Old May 24th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

ChrisCal, I looked up about the bus tours in maroon bells they don't start til June 8th and we will be there around June 2nd, does this mean we can drive in ourselves?
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Ellen,
We are going to stay at Glenwood Springs campground it looks fun and we are going to stay at Royal Gorge campground. I believe it is KOA. Thanks for your imput on what might not be the best to do.
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Bob,
we camp every year. I don't know how experienced we are but we are learning more and more each year. We are camping in a mini motorhome and we are taking the trail ridge road and camping in the Rocky Mtn. Nat. Park. Hopefully, I believe we are going to try for Timbercreek. Yes, I was wondering how to get from Maroon Bells to Black Canyon.. What is best?.. this is why I was thinking of skipping it. Thanks for relating, and I don't want to bite off more than I should chew. I don't want it to be stressful, but I think everything sounds so wonderful. I don't know which place to skip.
Old May 24th, 2003, 11:35 AM

To get from The Bells near Aspen to the Black Canyon, I suggest looking at route 133 to Hotchkiss and then route 92 to the north rim. To get to the south rim you need to go around. I think you will do little more than walk along the rim.
I have never been to the north rim, but I think you will see the same canyon from the north as you do from the south. (That is not a true statement about the Grand Canyon!!)
Route 92 will join route 50 slightly west of Gunnison, not far from the turn south to Ouray. (US 550)

I think you can do it if all you need to do the next morning is close the door and start the engine.

I tent camped until 1983 when my wife said any more tent camping would not include her. We got a little too much liquid sunsbine one summer in Colorado and that was the end of our tenting career.
Timber Creek is the best of the camping areas in Rocky Mountain NP.
If you cut out anything, I would say that the Garden of the Gods, while interesting, is not mandatory. Of course that is a personal view not shared by everyone.

From Ouray to Durango is a spectacular drive. And the best camping area on that route is called South Mineral.
There is one above Ouray called Amphitheater, but I just about had to nail my sleeping bag down. It is perched on the edge of the mountain.
It is also very popular!! Too much so.
Mesa Verde to me is fascinating, rewarding, and well worth the effort.

Good luck. I hope all goes well. I remember fondly those camping days, getting drowned and all. But what was fun at age 32 is not fun at age 70.
Our son, however, now 43 remembers a lot of those trips and has gone back over the same ground with his son.
I think he opted out of camping in a tent about a year ago, however.
But he still loves those hills.
He is going over a similar route in July.
My last suggestion is this: Play it by ear. If you get road weary, lay over a day and enjoy the view.
Old May 24th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob, for taking the time to share some wisdom.
We were thinking of camping in the South Rim of the Black Canyon would that be too hard to get to from Maroon Bells? Or should we just look at Maroon Bells and camp in Ourey or Durango?
Old May 24th, 2003, 07:57 PM

If you drive over Wolf Creek Pass, I'd recommend a short detour to Big Meadows reservoir for a picnic. It is a lovely mountain lake. The reservoir turnoff is a gravel forest road a couple of miles to the east of the pass. I think I've seen RVs on this road before. The only concern would be whether the road wil be clear, or snowed in. You can check on conditions at a forest service information center.

I'll second Bob Brown's recommendation for the forest service campground between Silverton and Ouray in the South Mineral area. The campground is at the very end of the 2WD road, just before it turns to the left and becomes 4WD.

There is a KOA campground in Durango, along the Animas River, just north of town, if you're looking for more amenities.

Given your plans, I'd strongly recommend getting the deLorme Atlas and Gazetteer for Colorado. We use it for all our trip planning in Colorado. It really helps when you're looking for obscure turnoffs, campgrounds, and hiking trails. If you go hiking, it's a good idea to buy a hiking certificate for about $5 (or less?) per person. It covers search and rescue if anyone gets lost or injured.