Search

Aussie's Road Trip to SWUSA

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aussie's Road Trip to SWUSA

G'day!
We have about a month from mid-September, after landing in Los Angeles, to travel around your fabulous South West in a hire car. We have been several times before, and love how easy it is, to see amazing scenery and meet new people/and have new experiences. There is so much choice !! I've seen Yosemite Spring and Winter, but have never struck the Tioga Pass open, so wish to include that and Mono Lake, and to end up in Las Vegas, which is great fun, and the centre for so many great day trips. ( How many of you have travelled to Las Vegas from LA via the lonely Mojave Desert road north of Joshua Tree NP?) Anyway, I thought of a big circuit, from LA to Phoenix, Tuscon, Tombstone ,up to Albuquerque , Santa Fe to Colorado, where I want to see Mesa Verde and the Scenic Highways around Durango. Then west again to revisit Arizona, Monument Valley and southern Utah parks, before back again to Vegas, then home mid-October via LA.

My worry is, that perhaps the Phoenix and Tuscon areas are too hot at this time of year, as I hate humidity, but perhaps heat without the humidity is OK here. Would it be a better idea to go north to Mono Lake and Tioga first, then east and round clockwise?

We may not get all the way around, and will be happy to stay a few days or a week, should we find something suits us. (retired couple) Would appreciate your thoughts. This column is really helpful!

Thanks, Carrabella
Old May 10th, 2003, 10:21 PM

September can be blazingly hot in Los Angeles and Las Vegas, often the hottest month of the year. You will be smart to start up in Yosemite.
Old May 10th, 2003, 10:44 PM

The later in your trip you can go to Phoenix and Tucson the cooler it will be.

Another thing to consider is Colorado can get snow in October so you might want to work that towards the beginning of your trip.

Utahtea

Old May 11th, 2003, 06:40 AM

And don't forget Sedona! Not sure if you've already been there, but it's amazing!! It's only about an hour from Phoenix.
Old May 11th, 2003, 10:14 PM

Those of us who live in the desert repeat the mantra "but it's a dry heat" and that is generally true, however, I should mention that Arizona can have severe thunderstorms during monsoon season, which generally runs from July thru mid-September -- so, as others have mentioned, you may want to put Arizona at the end of the trip rather than the beginning.
As to "the lonely Mojave Desert road north of Joshua Tree NP" -- I live in one of the towns along that lonely road, at the gateway to JTNP and would be happy to answer any questions about it.
Regarding the southern Utah parks -- there are so many of them -- be sure to stop at Dead Horse Point. It's a state park near Canyonlands and Arches NPs and therefore doesn't get as many visitors, but the view from the point is not to be missed. If you're going to overnight in that area (Moab,UT) I highly recommend a B&B called The Mayor's House.
Old May 13th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Dear Joesorce,Utahtea, Jenson and Sart29,
Thank you all for your interest and replies and for confirming my suspicions about the heat.
I think we will drive to Mono Lake and see from there. Have just had a look at my photos from Yosemite in 1996, and feel the attraction there again!! As I said, too many choices!
I actually love snow - we don't get much here in New South Wales, and would usually seek it out.(We are going to Alaska first, this trip) And yes, we drove through Sedona from Flagstaff once, and would like to see it again. We only did a day trip from Flagstaff from Tuscon that time, which is why I wanted to go back. That time, we got caught in a snow storm all the way back from Phoenix to Flagstaff, and woke up to a foot or more the next morning. It was wonderful!

I like going to Las Vegas at the end of a trip because it is just so over-the-top.
Not to gamble, just people watch and daytrips into the desert. This time, I want to go up Mt Charleston.

Best wishes from Oz,
Carrabella
Old May 14th, 2003, 06:30 AM

I second the suggestion to see Colorado first. In the Durango area, the color change of the aspen is at its peak around September 30. If you drive the Million Dollar Highway, the peak may be as early as mid-September. SW Colorado is lovely in September, but if you get here in mid-October, you'll be disappointed by the fact that everything is brown. I would guess that the same situation would apply all the way down to Santa Fe.
Old May 14th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Travellyn!
Which is the "Million Dollar Highway?".
I would like to see some Autumn colours.
Old May 14th, 2003, 08:54 PM

Some advice from a fellow Aussie - if you are going to Santa Fe, it's a well-worth diversion to visit Canyon de Chelley. Also in that area is the Hubbell Trading Post which was quite interesting. I guess by parks in southern Utah, you will be visiting Canyonlands and Arches, plus Zion (our favourite) and Bryce.
I envy you your trip - sounds great.
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:49 AM

Carrabella, the Million Dollar Highway is US 550, which goes north from Durango, through Silverton and on to Ouray. It takes about 2 hours if you don't stop. From there you could head west to Telluride, or northwest to Grand Junction, Colorado. Moab is around 1.5-2 hours southwest from Grand Junction.

The Million Dollar Highway is a spectacular drive, with a good quality paved road, but only 2 lanes. It crosses 3 mountain passes, going up as high as around 11,000 feet. The section just north of Red Mountain Pass can be hair-raising to people afraid of heights, because the road runs next to 300 foot sheer cliffs, with no guardrails in many places. If you drive north on this road, you're at least in the inside lane.
Old May 16th, 2003, 07:27 PM

I would arrange the trip so the Tucson/Phoenix area is last. They can be hot in MId Sept, but by the first of Oct., they are almost always very comfortable. 95 degrees in Phoenix is often more comfortable than 75 degrees in a humid climate
Old May 17th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Syv

Sounds like many good replies so far. Try to include Sequoia or Redwoods national parks if touring the California area. In southern Utah be sure to go to Bryce and Zion national parks. They are two of the most spectacular I've seen yet.

Agree about US550 Million Dollar highway between Ouray / Durango, Colorado area.

Enjoy your trip!
Old May 17th, 2003, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone,

I've just realised Yellowstone is too far, so my plan at the moment is
LA 2nights (to recover from Alaska, and stock up)

Mammoth 2 or 3 - to see east Yosemite and Mono

Cedar City Environs 2 nights- for Bryce and Zion - have been to both twice and can't get enough

Kayenta 3 nights - for Monument Valley etc

Cortez or Durango 4 nights-for Durango area

Santa Fe - Taos 3 nights -
Show low - overnight stop
Tuscon 3 nights

This gives us 3 days to get back to LA

Last time, we took a tiny tent and froze!! This time, we are hoping to get reasonably priced motels, and do day trips from these. Accommodation inside National Parks seemed really expensive.
Can't wait to see Dead Horse Gap - it's Sunday afternoon here, and I've just been listening to an hour of original songs about the Navajo, deserts American and Middle Eastern, and the meaning of life. It got me in the mood.Thanks again for all your advice.
Old May 24th, 2003, 08:11 PM

If I were choosing between Cortez and Durango, I'd stay in Durango because of the fun downtown area. The downtown is an historic district, with good restaurants, clubs, shops, etc. Cortez doesn't have much to do outside of visiting Mesa Verde. One night is plenty there.