Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Would smoking laws ever effect your vacation destination choice?

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine- who is a 2 pack a day smoker- refuses to travel to New York City or California, because of their strict rules against smoking in public places.

When these tough no smoking laws were debated- many retail lobby groups fought hard to water down the bills because of potential negative effects in restaurants and bars.

SMOKERS- Now that no smoking is allowed in most public places in New York City, would you be less likely to travel there?

NON SMOKERS-- Would you be more likely to travel to a City or State that has tough anti smoking laws?
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 10:48 AM

I do prefer places which prohibit smoking indoors and that influences both destination selection and hotel/restaurant choices.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 10:51 AM

While not the deciding factor - yes - a place with a strong (hopefully absolute) smoking ban is much more likely to get my business. (I won't stay in a hotel that doesn;t guarantee non-smoking rooms.)

We have moved Italy to the top of our list this summer due to their new smoking ban.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 10:52 AM

And by the way - its' not New York City that's non-smoking - its the entire state.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Wherever I travel, I try to avoid drinking & dining in any establishment that willingly allows air-borne carcinogens to poison its customers and employees.

So, Yes, I "vote with my wallet," supporting non-smoking bars & restaurants and avoiding others.

Would I not travel somewhere because of the lack of intelligent smoking prohibitions? No.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 11:37 AM

I only stay in hotels where I can be guaranteed a no-smoking room and won't go into a restaurant that allows smoking. I hate the smell, to say nothing of my concern for the health consequences.
That said, I hardly research City, State or national law on smoking before chosing a destination.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 11:49 AM

I don't smoke. I have never asked if a restaruant or bar bans smoking.

You people do realize that as soon as smoking is banned in our bars and restaruants alcohlic beverages are next, don't you?
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 11:50 AM

That would be "alcoholic"
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 01:39 PM
SAB

Smoking is banned in bars and restaurants in SF and people are still drinking, eating and going to bars and restaurants keep opening. I guess the sky didn't fall, Sam
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:03 PM

I live in NY, and am a non-smoker, but do enjoy an occasional cigarette with a cocktail now and then.

I love, love, love being able to dine in a smoke free environment. I have always found it to be very rude and disgusting to smell someone's cigar or cigarette smoke while trying to enjoy a meal.

When we travel, it seems so funny to us to see an ashtray on the table or to be asked if we want smoking or non smoking.

I am not a bar fly, but I do miss being able to have a martini and a cigarette while sitting at a bar.

I would not change my vacation plans, but I have changed my table. Every now and then, you run into a chain smoker who cannot live 2 minutes with out a cigarette....YUCK!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:14 PM

I once saw a sign that said, "Having a no-smoking section in a restaurant is like having a no-peeing section in a pool."

I definitely include smoke-avoidance in my plans, including choosing to stay at the Comfort Inn Midtown, the only hotel in Manhattan that is entirely nonsmoking. I also have checked out of a hotel in DC that had a bar that permitted smoking that was virtually a part of the lobby and stunk up the whole place. I spent 3 weeks in England and Wales and never ate at a pub, preferring places where I could avoid cigarette smoke. I was amazed at the places in Virginia (surprise) that permitted smoking, and have avoided making further travel plans there despite frequent visits to the DC area.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Eva

We live in Mass. where there is no smoking in bars and restaurants and visit CA, NJ, and NY which also ban smoking. My husband is now "living" (coming home on weekends) in VA because of his job and the whole cigarette thing annoys the hell out of him. Last summer my daughter and I spent time there and it was very difficult to get used to. I was a smoker for many years (quit 15 years ago) and it drives me crazy when I have to breathe in someone elses tar, nicotine etc.

SamH-- surely you jest about the alcohol ban?
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Smoking bans are about health and comfort, not morality. I appreciate that many bars in Portland, OR are smoke-free. I just don't go to the others. One club [Holocene]has a smoking room with an effective ventilation system, while the rest of the club [including the dance floor] is smoke-free. It's about common courtesy, and just makes sense. Smokers: chew Nicorets or slap on a patch, and join the rest of us for free-breathing entertainment.
Does this mean I won't travel to France? Non-- but I hope they join the Italians!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 03:51 PM

NYC restaurant owners were very worried they'd lose business due to the smoking ban. Recently read an article in the NYT in which restaurant owners report their business has gone UP, not down, after the ban. Interesting!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Interesting to see that the smokers are NOT chiming in here. We probably all realize how fanatical the "anti" faction has become, so simply ignore a discussion like this.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:18 PM

I am a never-been smoker, but I wish we could go back to the days when bars were smoke-filled. Something about women at the bar with a cocktail and a cigarette, and a blues band playing in the smoke filled room. Those were the days.

Non-Smoking is best for most people, I just wish that there was one good smoking allowed bar left in each major city.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:45 PM

I am not implying that enforcing a smoking ban in bars or restaurants has any negative effect on popularity or viability as a business. I'm also not saying it's good or bad, right or wrong. All I'm saying is that once tobacco has been eradicated from public places, alcohol could logically be next in line. Again, not saying it's good or bad, right or wrong.

I do not take smoking rules into consideration when making any plans. I know some do and that's fine. Anyone in the hospitality business would be well advised to take serious consideration of the comfort of non smokers.

I guess i kinda agree with DonnieD, but even as a non smoker, I realize I'm outnumbered here.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:57 PM

We don't plan trips to places based on their smoking laws. We are non-smokers, runners and hate smoke...period. I remember the days years ago, however, traveling to vacation spots with my parents, with car windows up, dad and grandpap smoking away up front, and mom, grandma and I stuck in the back seat sucking up the stuff....aaaah the good ole days.

We do frequent restaurants only if there are non-smoking sections, but actually, the non-smoking section is kind of a joke. Especially when "somewhere" in the restaurant, they usually almost always butt (no pun intended, tee hee) up against one another. But I realize that here in PA, non-smoking sections leave a lot to be desired. I still leave restaurants, even though seated in non-smoking, with cigarette smoke in my hair and clothes, requiring another shower when I get home. But even more aggravating to me is knowing I have breathed this garbage INVOLUNTARILY! Ok, you might say, I have a choice in whether I go to the restaurants, but you can't be a total recluse in places where a smoking ban isn't in effect.

Now after writing this, the more I think about it, NY and SF, here I come!!!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:16 PM

No - drinking won;t be next. they tried that - remember - and it didn't work. The difference is that light/moderate drinking not only doesn't hurt ayone - its often healthful. and heavy drinkers are damaging only their own livers/stomachs - no one else's.

Aas for places with dispensations - most cities/states have a few of them. they're called cigar bars - and are somewhat popular with the trendy/well to do - which you have to be - they have a very limited clientele and so prices are very high - drinks $15 and up to the sky.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:56 PM

so heavy drinkers only hurt themselves? Ask MADD how many people they hurt or someone that has been so unfortunate to become involved with an alcoholic. I guess people all defend our own poisons.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -