Would like Portland OR folks thoughts on these hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to be the designated personal travel planner(and no, I am not actually a travel agent. I just like researching my trips and they know it) for some friends. They'll be spending a few days in Portland, OR. I stay with my sister when I'm there, so don't really know the hotels. But, I have a few short listed and I'd like input.

The couple is in their 30s, from NY (via India) certainly happy to save money but don't mind spending it, are somewhat adventurous. On their last trip I had them stay in a yurt so they aren't afraid of unusual experiences.

From this board, talking to my sis, and some online research, I have a short list, and I would love to hear Fodorites' thoughts on them.

1. Hotel 50
2. Ace Hotel
3. The Heathman
4. The Benson
5. Avalon Hotel and Spa
6. Hotel Lucia
7. Vintage Plaza

What do you think?
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 01:49 PM

I know Hotel 50 is in a great area - will be staying there in 3 weeks. They have $120 special, and so very close to MAX! Also good reviews on TripAdvisor.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip about the $120 special, I'll be sure to tell them. They will actually be there September 6 and 7, but they are driving up the gorge and on into WA on the 7th or I'd suggest they went to the GTG! (I saw the GTG post while researching)
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:03 PM

Even though I live here, we have stayed in hotels in downtown several times for events.

Last fall we stayed at the Heathman because the Monaco was full. It was not horrible, but I would not opt to stay there again if given a choice. We had a Symphony Suite, which was teeny tiny. No room to entertain, which was part of our intention. The room itself was fine, bed comfortable, etc but the bathroom showed a lot of wear and tear. Way more than I felt was fair for a hotel of that caliber and price range. Broken tiles, doors that looked like someone had rolled their suitcases over time and time again, scrapes all over the walls, that sort of stuff. Service was an issue as well.

That said, we first tried to book at the Monaco where we have had several great stays but they were already full. The Monaco has true suites, very spacious, and just recently underwent a rennovation so the rooms are even better. I know this is not on your list, but if you are looking for great places in downtown, it should be on the list. The valet is underground, which is great for when it is raining. The hotel has a nice wine tasting each evening as well. It is a very nice hotel, but not with a ridiculous price, and the rooms are great and the staff has always been very nice and friendly.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

I thought the Hotel Fifty used to be the Monaco? Did I get that mixed up?

Thanks very much for the tips on the Heathman.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:11 PM

Here's my take.....

Benson and Heathman; stodgiest places in town. Portland's version of NYC's Waldorf Astoria.

Hotel Lucia and Vintage Plaza; safe. Boutiquey-type places with broad appeal. Lucia more contemporary; Vintage Plaza more uhhhh.... vintage. ;-)

Avalon Hotel; never hear of anyone staying there. Built for a market that never materialized. And worst location of any on your list. That all said, it might actually be a nice place!!

ACE Hotel; new, trendy, hip. Lots of buzz when it first opened. Same is true of Clyde Common, the restaurant off the lobby. If I were "designated personal travel planner" I'd choose this one.

But that's with the admission that I don't know anything about Hotel 50 except that Faina's staying there, and she's right; it's in a good location. Not as good as ACE though, IMO.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:20 PM

To answer your question, Hotel Monaco used to be Fifth Avenue Suites. Hotel 50 used to be a Days Inn, or some such.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:21 PM

To answer your question, Hotel Monaco used to be Fifth Avenue Suites. Hotel 50 used to be a Days Inn, or some such. I think....

Ooops! Sorry for the double post.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:31 PM

DAYS INN??? Hey, it was A SHERATON!! ***I*** would not go any lower then a Sheraton!!

Seriously, if you Google Sheraton in Portland, OR it bring up Hotel 50.

You, Beach Bummer!!

Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Great! Thanks or the extra input. I'll steer them to Hotel Fifty, Monaco, or Ace.

Clyde Common menu does look good!

Now, how about a few brewpubs and restaurants for them

Can anyone recommend a good brewpub tour? I hear they have them? And where can I find a calendar of events for Portland. I thought there might be some festivals on the waterfront around September 6 and again September 14.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:36 PM

Sheraton?? That's worse yet! I didn't remember that we ever had a Sheraton in town. ;-)

Guess it was something else that recently opened that used to be a Days Inn, or some such. I think..... :-"
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:46 PM

Toucan, yes, there is a festival that I'm missing Chocolate festival, I think on 14th.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:47 PM

Open with great care if you are a chocoholic

http://www.nwchocolatefestival.com/
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Omigosh, that is just mean! Hmm. I wonder if there is any chocolate in the house?
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 03:04 PM

Brewpubs..... Bridgeport, Lucky Labrador, Rogue Ales, Widmer, or any of the bazillion McMenamin's places. But you can kill a lot of birds (or beers) by just going to Henry's 12th St. Tavern, where there are over 100 brews on tap. Cool ice trough built into the bar to keep them cold, too.

Restaurants...... My current faves: Le Pigeon, Toro Bravo, Sel Gris, Alberta Street Oyster Bar & Grill; all on the casual side, but great food. Reasonably casual, but more refined: Higgin's, Ten 01, Fenouil, Wildwood, Carlyle, Andina (Peruvian).... All noted for fresh, local. Want more? I can keep going! ;-)

Check http://www.travelportland.com/ for a calendar of events. Things usually quiet down here after Labor Day, but there might be something. If they're here over a weekend, I'd recommend Portland Farmer's Market; one of the best in the country and a good place to get a feel for the city.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

I definitely have the Saturday Market on the itinerary already. My niece actually sells there occasionally.

I told my friends I'm about ready to get on a plane and come with, it's been a couple of years since I've been to Portland!

Thanks for those brewpub and restaurant recos.

I used to watch a cooking show awhile back, I think it was called Cooking with Caprile (SP?) Didn't/Don't they have a bistro in Portland?
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 03:29 PM

Yes, Saturday Market too, but I'm talking Portland Farmer's Market, in the Park Blocks up by Portland State University.

Caprial's place is still open: http://www.caprialandjohnskitchen.com/bistro/index.html Haven't been in a long time, but I expect it's still good. More of a neighborhood place now though. Portland's dining scene has exploded in the last five years so Caprial's got a lot of new competition. Guys like Gabe Rucker, the chef/owner of Le Pigeon are making people forget her. Too bad in a way.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Okay, didn't realize about the Farmer's Market, so will share that as well. Thanks for the restaurant info on C.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 03:42 PM

I'm taking Mr Again to Chinese Gardens. If no rain Do they have lunch there now, not just tea?
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM

Have onlt stayd at the Benson and was very disappointed.

First, it's way too men's clubby, with dreary beign and brown everything - and none of the amenities women expect (decent make-up mirror etc.)

Plus, their staff was quite uncooperative - seemed to think who they were, rather than being helpful and co-operative. (I was running a meeting there and had booked over 125 room nights as well as meeting room and catering. When I asked to stay in my room a few hours longer to work before a red eye back they were quite impolite - first refused, then when I insisted said they had to ask the manager. Eventually they did it - but grudgingly. And there were none of the usual perqs any decent hotel give to someone running a meeting like that ( flowers, fruit or bottle of wine in your room - and a deluxe room versus the most basic).

Definitely not worth the money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -