Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Would It Be Ridiculous to Stay in El Segundo? First Time LA Trip Help, Please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 04:20 AM
JM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive 9pm on Wed.. Need to be at UCLA next morning for tour at 9:45. Fri am want to do Warner Tour. Need to be at airport Sat 8am. Dinner reservations Koi (?) Thursday, AOC Friday.

We have hotel reservations at Ambrose in Santa Monica, but since we're arriving so late on Wed, and need to be back at the airport so early on Sat, does it make sense to stay in El Segundo, or will the driving into LA for signtseeing, shopping, restaurants be really difficult as opposed to Santa Monica. I could save a fair amount of money staying in El Segundo, but I don't want to mess up the two days in LA unreasonably.

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 06:28 AM
lvk

I think El Segundo would be fine for the short trip and the activities that you are planning. Now if you had asked about Inglewood.....

El Segundo is right off of the 405 freeway which will make getting around relatively easy. (I can't believe I just used "405" and "easy" in the same sentence!)

From El Segundo, you are also close to Manhattan Beach, if your trip allows some beach time.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Go with El Segundo. Traffic will be just as bad from Santa Monica to anywhere you want to go. El Segundo-ites and South Bay residents use the backdoor route to get around LAX-take Imperial west toward the coast, then Pershing will hook you up with Lincoln or Culver.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 09:43 AM

You will have Thrusday and Friday in town. I misght consider staying in Santa Monica. Or, in Westwood if you are considering UCLA for school so you can get a feel for the area.

If you come to UCLA you will never find yourself in El Segundo. Maybe try a cheaper hotel in West LA.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Stay in El Segundo. If you stay at Embassy Suites, for example, you would get right on the 105 freeway at Imperial, to take you toward LA, or the day you are going to UCLA, get on the 405 from the 105.
8-)
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 05:05 PM

Santa Monica to LAX is an easy drive, especially at 730am on a Saturday morning. Should take you 20 min tops.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:22 PM

SM is a nice area to visit. I was recently there (the end of June) and stayed at the Ambrose for 3 nights. Although the hotel is relatively nice, we had major problems. We waited over 2 hours for our room to be ready (even after their 3:00 check in time) and once we were told our room was FINALLY ready, we hauled our luggage to the 4th floor (no bellhops) and found the room with the door wide open, and the room torn apart by housekeeping...(after the manager assured us it was completely done except for one pillowcase) We hauled everything back downstairs, and had to wait ANOTHER HOUR. (I am disabled with terrible back pain, and needed to get to my room as soon as possible) The manager gave us a "red bull" to make up for the problems. ??? Finally in our room, the place was dirty! Found stuff (dirt, pretzels, twist ties, etc) under the bed, the bathroom sink and floor were not cleaned, and the armoire had stickers stuck to it, as well as human stains. Even when I complained to the manager, and staying there three days, they never sent anyone to clean the bathroom! They also claim on their website and on their brochures that they have music piped into the bathroom to listen to tv or the radio, however, when I tried to get it to work, I was informed that when they built the hotel, they wired it incorrectly, so the feature has NEVER worked in any of the rooms. (then why do they still advertise it as a feature???) I would have moved hotels ASAP, but could not find anything available that late in the area. The beds were comfortable, I'll say one nice thing. But, I will never stay there again.

Just a heads up.

Andiamo
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 05:28 AM

I can't comment on the Ambrose but I agree that for a feel of what going to UCLA will be like, I'd stay closer to UCLA - in Westwood, Santa Monica, West LA. I also agree on a Saturday morning it will not take long to get to the airport.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 04:57 PM

Please don't stay in El Segundo. Santa Monica is much more fun. It will not take you more than 20 min to get to the airport on a Sat morning, but most other times there is heavy traffic and it will take you up to 45 minutes to get back and forth to El Segundo if you're staying there. There's nothing to do re: sightseeing or fun restaurants, etc in El Segundo..
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:31 PM

Can I suggest you take a look at the Radisson in Culver City? We stayed there last week for a night. We liked it. It's near the 405 freeway on and off ramps, it's in between Santa Monica and LAX, it's clean and redecorated. You can get a room for less than $130/night. Valet is $14/day and self-park is $10/day with in and out privileges. Have you been to tripadvisor.com yet? The reviews may help you decide which hotel is right for you.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 12:42 PM
fredman

I would suggest just pick a place and stay there, but visit (drive by) some of the other places mentioned for future reference when you are out and about.
You can rely on folks here for opinions, the problem is everyone has one and a different take on what's best for you.
Oh - it took us 1 hr 10 min. to get from Marina Del Rey to Warner Brothers Studios on a Tuesday morning, all of like 23 miles.