Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Would appreciate suggestions for a ***/**** hotel in Savannah's Historic District.

Search

Would appreciate suggestions for a ***/**** hotel in Savannah's Historic District.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Savannah and St. Augustine in September for the first time. We're staying at the Casa Monica in St. Augustine and would like a nice hotel in Savannah in the historic district, so we can walk to some of the sights. We'll have a car to travel between the two cities, but would prefer walking and using public transportation in Savannah.

Thanks for your good suggestions and experiences.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:41 AM

I understand the Marriott is very nice. There is a water taxi that takes you to the Historic District. You may want to check out the trolleys in Savannah. It's a great way to learn interesting facts about the city, and most come with on-and-off privilages, meaning you can get off at a stop that seems interesting to you and can catch another trolley when your finished.
Since you will have a car available, I would highly recommend going out to Fort Pulaski and Tybee Island.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:14 AM

I would also do a search here on Savannah lodging - many inns and B&B recommendations. We like Hampton Inn Historic District (there is another not so nice Hampton in Savannah - not that one) for location and quality - it is not your typical Hampton Inn - much nicer (also mentioned by others in posts here).

Husband has stayed at Hyatt which is one block closer to Savannah River - they were undergoing major renovations over past year or so, and do not know if they are done. He said it was fine, but preferred Hampton Inn to Hyatt - which we do not usually find is the case.

Westin is a step up, but not as easily accessible by foot to sights.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:21 AM

It's the Westin that is accessible to the Historic District. The Hyatt renovation is finished and is very nice as well. The Marriott is around the curve on the river (not my favorite location) and is well-worn. My favorite is the Hampton Inn - not your typical Hampton Inn. The Doubletree is nice as well. Many like the Mulberry, which is a Holiday Inn property.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:25 AM

Another thought - don't know when in September, but we have had availability problems with beginning of September since that is when SCAD (Savannah college of Art and Design) students return and there is a multi-day freshman parent orientation. You should not have problems making reservation this far in advance, but do not wait until last minute - I think it is second weekend in Sept, but am not positive. (SCAD.edu has academic calendar)
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:27 AM

I deleted a line by mistake - it's the Westin that is accessible via water taxi (it is out in a little island in the middle of the river).
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 04:23 AM

One more thought. There is a new Hampton Inn Historic District opening soon. That one will be on MLK Drive. The one we are referring to is the one presently open at the corner of Bay Street and Abercorn.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Ani

We stayed at the Mulberry for a family reunion last April and LOVED it. Perfect location, lovely property and reasonably priced.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for all your suggestions.

Any comments about Marshall House? It looks good online, but sometimes that can be deceiving.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Neopolitan

I would be very unhappy staying at the Westin and not being able to walk out of the front door and be in the Historic District, relying on a boat or shuttle to go back and forth would, frankly, drive me nuts.
The Marriott is a huge convention hotel, and nothing special -- including its location.
The Hyatt is very nice, but short on "authentic atmosphere".
Frankly it would be hard to top the very upscale and wonderful historic Ballastone Inn, if you aren't looking for full amenties of a major hotel (although the brandy and praline on your bedside and full breakfast served in your room is pretty hard to top).

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Neopolitan

Sorry. www.ballastone.com

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:07 AM

I was very happy at the Hilton De Soto. All the services of a hotel (room service,etc.) and in a great location.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 08:18 AM
GoTravel

I've stayed at The Westin and The Hyatt and love them both.

The Westin is gorgeous but the only drawback is that you have to wait a couple of minutes for the water taxi. It really isn't a big deal.

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to all of you who posted with your suggestions and thoughts. I checked the Ballastone (thanks for the website Neopolitan) and it looks fabulous. Don't know if we can manage a splurge that big, but we sure will think about it.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Ike

The Mansion at Forsythe Park and The Gastonian are two of the finest hotels in the city............

http://www.mansiononforsythpark.com/

http://www.gastonian.com/

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:57 AM

I've stayed at the Mulberry Inn, too, and it's lovely.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:32 PM

READ the reviews on TripAdvisor before making any final decisions.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Hands down...Mansion on Forsythe. WOW- we loved it here! Squeeze in a culinary class with Chef Darin at the cooking school on premise at 700 Drayton (hotel restaurant) and you will have a terific time.
***Pretty far from the Riverfront- but my husband and I have walked back and forth from the hotel it is quite a hike- HOWEVER, the hotel has an air-conditioned LondonTaxi that will take you back and forth for no cost (at least they were doing this last summer- 05). TAKE THE TAXI...it will be VERY HOT in September....
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Had forgotten about this thread I started it so long ago. We are booked at the Ballastone and looking forward to it.

clkbjk: I hope you're wrong about it being VERY HOT in September! We planned to go in September because we thought the usual summer heat would have subsided to a great extent.

Thanks for the suggestion of hotel and cooking class. Actually I love good food, but hate to cook; cook because I have to, so a class wouldn't really be of interest to me.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 04:52 PM
GoTravel

Giovania, the heat and humidity does not fall off in September. It is still one of our summer months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -