Reload this Page >

Worth seeing in California

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Diane

Two couples will be traveling in California in June. Are the following sights worth the time and money. Truckee, Ponderosa Ranch, Paddle Wheel boat ride on the Tahoe Lake, Hearst Castle, Monterey Bay Aq., 17 Mile drive, Mystery Spot. Has anyone eaten at the Shadowbrook in Capitola? Thanks for your help!!

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 10:50 AM
xxx

There are responses under your other posting.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Patrick

Am I losing it? I know that I responded to this yesterday, but now my answer isn't here unless this is a duplicate question, but I can't seem to find it.
Anyway:
Truckee is a small, cute Western looking town filled with nice cafes and decent little shops. Haven't done Ponderosa Ranch as I have been told that except for special events there it is really kind of a nothing. The museum near Donner Lake was very interesting about the famous Donner wagon train that got stranded there one winter. Lake Tahoe is one of the most beautiful places on earth, and although I have boated on it with friends, I'd say it is best viewed from the shore. Go to Garwoods, sit on the big deck and have a wet woody. Or take a full day to drive all around the lake stopping at the various view points just to drink in its splendor. Emerald Bay at the SouthWest corner is particularly scenic. On the other hand, the paddle boat ride might be fun. Hearst Castle is interesting and views from up there are spectacular. Monteray Bay Aquarium was probably the best in the world when it was built, and if you haven't done many others, it is still quite interesting. The 17 mile drive is OK, but you can end up just parading in a line of traffic. Acutally it doesn't hold a candle to driving Big Sur in my opinion. Mystery Spot is a mystery to me, never heard of it -- just sounds like some tourist trap, but who knows? Yes we had dinner at Shadowbrook. It is a beautiful place and fun because you take a funicular up to it, but our food was only so-so and the service was pretty dismal. In all fairness, however, we happened there on a big prom night and the whole staff was not happy about the mobs of high school kids who can't drink, order cheap, and generally run around between tables visiting each other and being obnoxious. Under usual circumstances it might be better.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 09:15 PM
xxx

Look into river-rafting down the Truckee River while you're there. It's a fairly tame river and the ride doesn't take that long, but is a lot of fun.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 09:43 AM
pat

the mystery spot is in santa cruz and my wife and i found it to be cool, in an off-beat sort of way. it costs like $5 and lasted no longer than 1.5 hours

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 10:13 AM
kam

The only negative I would have would be Ponerosa Ranch. The mystery spot is supposed to defy gravity and I wouldn't make a detour to see it but if you're there you might stop. Hearst Castle is interesting if you want to see what California money could buy in the 20s and bring back from Europe! The town of Cambria just south is nice and there are elephant seals on the beach at most times. I love the Monterey Aquarium mostly for the sea otters and you can later go kayaking in Monterey Bay with those furry creatures.If anyone's a golfer, the 17 mile drive is required driving, if you only want to see beautiful scenery, go instead to Pt. Lobos park just south of Carmal or down Hwy 1 through Big Sur. Capitola is a sweet little town and a nice place to stop, but I can't personally recommend the Shadowbrook. I think it's considered the best in the area, though. There are some excellent restaurants farther south in Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 10:14 AM
PS Local

Hi, grew up between south and west shores of Lake Tahoe. Lake Tahoe...definitely worth your time. Agree with Patrick on Donner Lake. Very poignant and sobering story.

Ponderosa...enngghhh, sort of a tourist trap waste of time. If the show was in its original run and you had kids, i might say, sure, waste a little time and money there just for fun.

Truckee--cutesy, funky, some good shops and restaurants, especially a toy soldiers shop if you are into that.

Truckee River rafting--very fun if the runoff is good. Should be okay this year early in the season. You can start near Fanny Bridge in Tahoe City by renting tubes and get out at River Ranch BEFORE the rapids (unless this is your cup of tea). Water will be chilly.

MS Dixie or other paddlewheelers--not a bad way to get a fresh perspective on the whole Tahoe basin from a unique point of view.

I might also suggest Emerald Bay and Vikingsholm.

Big Sur, Hearst Castle etc all very doable, unique places.

Have fun.

psl

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Caitlin

I agree that Shadowbrook is not worth it, unless you do not care about food quality and are happy paying a lot for mediocre food. However, Kam is WRONG that it is considered "the best in the area." (This is about the third post where I've seen Kam say this or something similar, implying that there's no decent upscale-type eating in the Santa Cruz vicinity; Kam, please stop--you clearly don't know the local [Santa Cruz] options and are doing a disservice to people who want to stay in that area and eat well, vs. driving down to Monterey/Carmel for a meal.) I also don't think the Mystery Spot is worth a big detour, but if you are in the Santa Cruz vicinity and looking for a good meal along the same price/atmosphere lines as Shadowbrook (vs. the Shadowbrook "experience" for its own sake), head down Hwy 1 around 20 mins. to Aptos. There, Chez Renee, the Veranda, and Bittersweet Bistro all offer very nice atmospheres along with excellent food. THESE are essentially the best in the Santa Cruz area, NOT Shadowbrook or Chaminade (Chaminade is certainly better than Shadowbrook, but worth a special visit, IMO).

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 02:48 PM
Rosemary

Personal opinion - Hearst Castle is a must-do. Monterey Aquarium was excellent. 17-mile drive good (especially if you're golfers). You must drive down Route 1 Big Sur between Monterey and Hearst. No experience of the rest.