Reload this Page >

Wort, Rusty Parrot, or Snow King?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 11:27 AM
Lisa

My family of 4 is planning our first trip to Yellowston/Tetons area. Definitely planning on staying 2 nights in Jackson and want to feel like we're on vacation. Our 2 children will be with us (age 12 & 15) and rearing to GO!!! Where should we stay in Jackson? ALSO, Keep reading about Signal Mt. Lodge on this site, but my neighbor speaks so highly of Jackson Lake Lodge. Which do you suggest? FINALLY, One of the highlights of our trip will be whitewater rafting. Can anyone suggest a GREAT outfitter in the Jackson area? We can't wait until Next June!!!

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 12:47 PM
J T Kirk

Okay, since I haven't stayed at ANY of the 3 places you mentioned you can ignore this if you want, but here are my observations:
Wort: a landmark hotel right smack in the middle of downtown Jackson. But it's really, really old and loud. It's an ok place to get breakfast, but that's about it.
Rusty Parrot: is a funky place (with their own day-spa) kinda in downtown, but off the beaten path. Eclectic. I'd probably stay there if I were to stay in town. (I normally stay at the Spring Creek Resort.)
Snow King: I think this place is in Teton Village, which is the ski area about 10 miles outside of Jackson. I think this area is OK to stay if you ski and it's winter, BUT in the summer I find Teton Village depressing. Something about seeing a bunch of ski chalet style buildings in summer just doesn't cut it for me.
I like Jenny Lake Lodge over Jackson Lake Lodge or Signal Mountain.
Do a search - someone a few months ago wrote about a great white-water outfitter in Jackson.
Have fun!!!

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 06:47 PM
Sal

When we were in Jackson Hole two years ago, we stayed at Cowboy Village. It was brand new at the time. They are really cute, two-room log cabins with kitchenettes. You can walk to the rodeo and it's a short drive to the square. It was a nice place for children. I definitely recommend Signal Mountain Lodge. It is right on Jackson Lake. The kids have lots of room to explore. We had a two room log cabin with a beautiful porch overlooking the lake. The wildlife wandered in and out of the property every morning and evening. Be sure to take the launch across Jenny Lake for the beautiful (and easy) hike up the mountain. We loved it so much we did it twice!

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 04:01 AM
elaine

Lisa,

My husband and I traveled (w/out children) to Yellowstone/Tetons last summer. Many of our friends w/children your age have stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge and Spring Creek Resort and most prefer Spring Creek. We saw Rusty Parrot and it seemed to attract couples vs. families. I saw the Wort Hotel...think this not a true 'Jackson experience'. I agree with the poster who commented re: Snow King. If this property is in Teton Village, I would steer clear as it is dismal in the summer. There is a significant difference in rates at JLL and Signal Mt. Lodge. We had lunch at Jenny Lake Lodge and it was lovely. I would recommend a stay here...but it may be pricey. It depends on your budget. I suggest you double book reservations, as long as there are good cancellation policies. Anything in the park gets booked sev'l months in advance. You could always cancel one, after doing add'l research.
I can highly recommend Barker Ewing for a fantastic (and safe) rafting excursion. There are 2 different 'Barker Ewing' companies. One is the original company and I recall had better guides. You could do a websearch to check this out. We used Barker Ewing, and bought our tickets (same day) at Dornan's which is a stone's throw from park entrance.
You'll have a great vacation!

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 06:13 AM
Debbie

Lisa-I would highly recommend the Signal Mountain Lodge for your stay in the Tetons. Our kids(15 and 17) loved it! We had a family suite(separate bedroom,pullout sofa in livingroom,unfurnished kitchenette and big bathroom) right on the water-rented boats,flyfished by the damn near by,kids actually cooled off everynight in lake while we were on our porch having a beer,etc.Signal Mountain is centrally located so you can drive a few miles north and hike around the Jackson Lodge(which we thought was real touristy,full of convention types,etc.)OR drive a few miles to the southern part of the park and take park service ferry across Jenny Lake and hike up the trail along the mountain(great!)It probably(as I have said before) one of the most beautiful areas in the world I have ever been as the mountains are right on the lake and you can see them from everywhere in your suite.There is a lodge with gift shop,cute bar,restaurant with GREAT blueberry pancakes next door.Signal Mountain was once originally a fishing camp(only one opened during the winter 50 years ago.)Be sure and go up on Signal Mountain for one unbelievable view of the whole area! It is a true find and one that is not operated by the Park Service even though it is in the park so it is nice.We were able to get three nights there(somebody cancelled from a reservation made 7 months earlier)and only wished that it could have been longer. We drove over one night to Teton Village(around 9 miles away-saw alot of moose). Had dinner at the Mangy Moose restaurant but were glad that we didn't stay there because it is dismal during the summer.Jackson is really not far away from Signal Mountain. We stayed there for several nights and chose the Trapper Inn only because we could walk to everything and leave the car in the lot. They have a new section in the back of the hotel where we stayed that had big rooms,frig,etc. Price was right for high season and we liked letting Dad go back to room at night when he got tired of looking at "cutesy shops"?
Recommendations for raftingarker-Ewing and Jackson Lake outfitters are considered the best and most experienced.Stay away from MAD RIVER as they are known both in guidebooks and in town as a training ground for raft guides and have had some interesting experiences?(The day we rafted with Jackson Lake Outfitters-the Mad River guide took a full raft on the rocks and tore a huge slit/hole in the bottom and people had to be rescued!)The raft trips were one of our more favorite things to do. We mini-golfed over at Snow King(expensive and out of the way for summer activities). Shootout in town square at 615pm is a riot for kids.We loved the BBQ at Bubbas(local place for BBQ in Jckson),breakfast at Jermiah's,etc. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip and the kids actually liked the Grand Tetons better than Yellowstone.We went this past June and it was nice because it is not high season yet so you can still get around without the horrible crowds.Have a super trip!