Reload this Page >

Won a trip to Maui..now what!?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 07:47 PM
friend

we have won a trip to Hawaii...not kidding! Problem is, never been, and don't have a CLUE as to the best places/island to see. Want to go to Maui, I think, and hear 4 Seasons is nice. We will be travelling from east coast(yuk), and can go anytime, up until next June.
Any help, suppestions on times to go, where to stay et al and comments are much appreciated!!!

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 08:44 PM
Joe Friday

Remember this is a taxable event

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Friend2

continental has a direct flight only 10 hours. I would go in Feb and check out the whales. But here is the big thing, do not rely exclusively on the web site for your info. I find that people very rarely offer "off the beaten track" travel info here. I would look up hiking info, road to hana offers breif hikes if you do the drive (if you rent a tape from a dive shop). Rent a four wheel drive and definately extend your drive from hana to the back side of Haleakela.On Maui I would look into the observatory on Mauna Kea (Sp) and try to see if they let tourist up there. In any event, I would want to star gaze up on the summit if possible. I would check out Andrew Dougherty's Maui Guide book, I love his Kauai book. Time to start a cross reference of reading, friend. Each book has a different take on what is important. You will get advice here but people who you can not see also have all different ideas about what is a quality experience, reading will help you find your definition IMHO. Check out the "selected Hawaii websites"listed here on one post. Good luck and congratulations. 4 Seasons I am so JEALOUS!!!!

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 05:40 PM
friend

thanks so much for all of the info! I will be picking up the book this week to start researching! A travel agent will do the actual booking for us, and is one of the few I have met that uses the internet extensively to find comparable fares and info. I will bring up the direct flight info to him, its really the only part I am not looking forward to!
Thanks again

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Ron

We've been to Maui many times and have read many guide books for information on Maui. The best one we came across is called 'Maui Revealed' the ultimate guidebood. They have a website www.wizardpub.com.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 04:32 PM
xxx

"maui revealed" is by Andrew Dougherty the guide book spoken about in Friend 2 post.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Kathie

We've been to the big island, Maui and Oahu. The big island is very rural and you'll spend time in a car getting from place to place. It's a great place to hike. There are no sandy beaches and we couldn't find a good place to snorkle. The volcano park was great. Oahu has lots of shops, reaturants, good beaches, etc. Can get around without a car. Lots of tourist stuff to do. Maui is paradise. It's our favorite. Lovely beaches, a little shopping, hiking, gardens, a truly beautiful place. I'd go in January or February to see the whales. Be sure to drive to Hana. Be sure to remember how wonderful it smells. Have a great time!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Vicki

My husband & I recently returned from spending our 25th anniversary in Hawaii- Spent one week on Maui and believe it is heaven on earth. Whichever guide books you get, and do get one or more, there are "must do's", however you do them. A day's excursion for the drive to Hana, and fully agree that the continuing road- the back side of Haleakala, is a don't miss. A drive up to the Haleakala crater will make you feel that you are on top of the world. The Iao valley is beautiful, and the road past Lahaina and continuing around the north shore is dynamic. This road, though, is for the adventuresome- not for the timid- often one lane hairpin on edge of very high sea cliffs. Eat fresh coconuts, mangoes & pineapple and experiment with all the fish preparations- yummy food everywhere. Don't forget the chocolate macadamia's-mmmm. Enjoy! We can't wait to go back.