Reload this Page >

Woman traveling alone

Search

Woman traveling alone

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Joyce

Woman traveling alone

I'll be driving from Florida to Savannah to Charleston alone during October. Any suggestions or dire warnings. I've traveled all over the world by myself and am quite a confident traveler. Thanks.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 09:08 AM
al

Aside from getting run off the road by a pickup truck full of banjo picking hillbillies, there's realistically almost nothing that could possibly happen to you.

Just make sure your car's in good running order (tires and tire pressure ok, radiator ok, oil ok) and it'll be smooth sailing.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Jill

Avoid stopping at rest areas. If you need to stretch your legs or go to the ladies room pull over at a fast food place or somewhere where there is a lot of people. Take a cell phone for emergencies and you should be fine.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 03:51 PM
xxx

Since you're a world traveler, I would think the hop, skip, and jump from fl to ga to sc should be a breeze for you. Armed with a cell phone, map, a once-over of the car and common sense, you'll do ok

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Al

Joyce-I'll loan you my 135lb. German Shepherd. The only catch is you gotta feed him and clean up after him!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 02:23 PM
rob

As you travel north from Savannah to Charleston, you will eventually leave the interstate and get on Highway 17 North at a place called Point South. This is about the last place to stop for 60 miles (small gas stations at Jacksonborough about halfway) and there is no digital phone service between Point South and the south side of Charleston. Just a heads up.
Also, you might want to travel through Beaufort on your way to Charleston from Savannah. Neat little town with some good restaurants and antique shops. Not an overnight stay though.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 08:38 PM
Gary

Joyce: If you want to stay in places that are safe, homelike & secure, look into bed & breakfasts. We prefer them much more than hotels & they don't attract the "undesirables", plus they are normally priced reasonably. Never had a bad experience yet. And you can have a great breakfast in the morning without having to look for a place.