Reload this Page >

nightlife in NYC for 4 "forty-something" women

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 07:45 PM
lmartin

We will be in NYC during the Marathon (first weekend in November). We would like some info on nightlife and what to do while in town at night. We will be staying in Central Park South area but that will not affect us on where we need to go for some fun! Also, any good restaurants that you have experienced lately would be appreciated. We have been to NYC before and did the usual sightseeing things so really just interested in what to do at night. Thanks!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Philip

You may want to pick up the magazine "Time Out" when you get here. They usually do a fairly good job of listing the current events.

I've quit recommending nightlife spots because they seem to go out of business or get overcrowded. (One rule of thumb, if they've been named on Sex & the City or Seinfeld, run in the opposite direction).

Any suggestions from others?

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Nadine

Try www.citysearch.com,www.sheckys.com and www.timeoutny.com for resturant/bar listings.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 06:01 PM
deena

I'm 40 something and don't do the bar scene, but my single friends do. They mostly pick places where they can have a few drinks, and then move on to dinner, or vice versa. A few places come to mind that attract people older than 25. Try Atlantic Grill, Gaustavino's, Tao, Man Ray, Asia de Cuba, The Monkey Bar, 151, Angelo & Maxie's on Park Ave So., Balthazar, or Rue 57. Hope that helps a bit. It is also Marathon weekend so most of the nice hotel bars will be busy as well.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 10:39 AM
shannon

You could also look into Aubar for dancing ($25 cover charge), but they will let you three ladies in in a second. There is a wide range of ages here. Eugene (depending on they day $10 or 20) is nice and they have a dance floor also, however I was not there late enough to determine how happening the dance floor gets. Nice atmosphere though. The above poster suggested Tao which is good, but it does get very very crowded. Chez Esaada (SP?) on 1st and 1st also has a downstairs bar and dining area. They serve interesting drinks too.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 10:23 PM
Eileen

Monkey Bar is expensive! Don't know if you are looking for dancing, or bars, etc. = for dancing to 70s and 80s music try PolyEsthers! It is on W 4th St in the village - crowded, but 70 and 80s music abound! Really fun!