Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

No flying inter-island travel in Hawaii?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 03:22 PM
KJP

Okay, I posted this question before, but I have done a search with every possible word I can think of and can't find it to see if there are any responses. So I apologize for the repeat post in advance. Is there an inexpensive way to travel between the islands other than flying? We'll be staying in Maui and would like to see some of the other islands as well.
Thanks for your help.
KJP

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 04:33 PM
anthony

KLP:
No, flying @ $60 per flight is the cheapest and most efficentway to get around the islands.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 05:27 PM
Jay

I recall your post from before.
The reason you may not have been able to locate it is that it may well have been deleted since all of the responses were snide and unhelpful.
The reason is that I don't think there are any alternatives to air travel. No ferries, for example.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 05:33 PM
Tim

you can get to lanai by ferry from maui

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 05:41 PM
ihawaiianpunch

i'm a local living in the mainland and i visit my home from time to time. the best way to travel from island to island is try to get a package deal beforehand. most every airlines or travel agents offer multi-island deals which is lot cheaper than trying to fly by yourself and you get the accomodations and car included...trust me you want a car if you like touring the island...and depends on what you like i could suggest which islands is the best

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 07:29 PM
Paul

About 7 years ago I bought an unlimited Inter-island pass on Hawaiian Airlines for a week for about 200 bucks. Went from O'ahu to Maui, Kauai and Hawaii. Usually took the first flight out and last one back. Made for some fun day trips. Check their website at: http://www.hawaiianair.com/. I just looked and it looks like there are some deals.
pg

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 09:00 PM
RAS

Best Deal is to buy the package coupons, Aloha and Hawaiian offer then. I bought one last year (they last for one year also) for $375(Total-including all taxes, $344 plus taxes) from Aloha Airlines. You can ask for the Six Pack, its a coupon book with Six Coupons in it for travel anytime, anyday, and are good for one year from Date of purchase, so if you don't use then you can save them for your next trip, or sell them to people going in the future. Each coupon is good for one way fare, so example, from Maui you and your spouse will have 3 coupons each. I recommend to make the most of the trip plan on staying a night at each island so you don't have to "hop" back to Maui and waste a coupon. Example: 3 coupons each(2 people) will get you from Maui to Kauai(1); Kauai to Big Island(1); Big Island back to Maui.
They also have a seven day multi-island package. call them at: 800-367-5250.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 01:10 AM
Leilani

Aloha KJP, you must fly. I agree with RAS...the coupon books are a good deal. I recently saw an ad for Aloha Airlines celebrating an anniversary special. May want to consider calling them soon. Also, without coupons, sometimes rates are better for the first and last flights...ALoha!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 01:29 AM
mari

kjp--

repeating my answer to ur earlier post, ferries go from maui to lanai and molokai. my sister took the maui (lahaina)-lanai ferry last week--trip was 45 minutes and cost $20 or $40.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 06:11 AM
KJP

Thanks for the input on travel between the islands. The ferry from Maui sounds good. My wife hates to fly so just getting to Maui is going to require sedation. If we had to fly between the islands, how big are the planes? She would never get on a prop. Thanks!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 06:50 AM
pat

Aloha;

1) There are ferries from Maui to Lanai and Molokai everyday. We took the ferry from Molokai to Maui this past June, cost $40 one way or $80 round trip. Be aware that it can be a rough crossing. Everyone go wet and many, many people got sea-sick. Also it takes 90 minutes to go from Maui to Molokai not 45. It was fun to do once but I prefer to fly.

2) Inter-island flights are relatively inexpensive, Hawaiian was running a special when we were there of $49 one way to most of the Islands. The flights are very short (except to Kaui) running only about 20-30 minutes.

3) Hawaiian airlines flys only jets between islands. They are replacing all of their older DC9s with 717's. We flew on the new planes and they are very nice. If your wife can make it to Maui it should not be a problem to fly inter-island. By the time you drink your little cup of fruit juice your already landing ;^)

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 08:52 AM
jack

Just flew between Oahu and Maui on Hawaiian and it was a pretty big plane (2 seats on one side and 3 seats on the other--went back about 30 seats).

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Lorraine

To KJP- I'm as nervous of a flyer as your wife is .... The flights between the islands are all on planes with Jet engines. They are not going to be big-but you are on them for such a short amount of time- that even I while nervous-we were up and down so quickly

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 10:56 PM
mari

maui to lanai is 45 minutes; of course molokai wd be further. morning crossings appear to be calmer than afternoon ones. and the word 'ferry' is a misnomer--unlike ferries that most people are used to, which are large enough to carry vehicles, the boats my sister referred to aren't much bigger than some of the fishing boats in the harbor, and my sister got pretty seasick.

aloha and hawaiian both fly jets btwn the major islands, w/ aloha using airbus 320 planes seating upwards of 150 passengers. i'd have to agree w/ everybody else who suggests flying, unless ur wife is a pretty good sailor. have u looked into flying directly to maui from the mainland?