Reload this Page >

winter travel in N.C.

Search

winter travel in N.C.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 02:35 AM
sue

winter travel in N.C.

In mid Dec. what would we expect weatherwise if we traveled from Iowa via Nashville to Ashville N.C. From there we would head to Myrtle Beach area. What would the moutain driving be like that time of year?

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 04:36 AM
Austin

Winter weather here is next to impossibly to predict. It can be sunny and in the 70's December 1st, with snow by Christmas. Warm spells end with arctic blasts... and sometimes it warms up again, and sometimes it only gets colder.

If by the time you get here there has been significant snow or ice, try to schedule your mountain driving for daylight hours. The state will have salted the major roads (and I assume you don't intend to take the back way) and barring a blizzard, during the day they should be passable. Come night, they may freeze over again, no matter what the DOT does.

So, my advice is to hit the mountains during the day, and take it nice and easy if there has been snow. If its warm though, just go easy on the curves. Before you leave, check forecasts for the Asheville area on weather.com or another similar site.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 04:50 AM
ramjet

Will you be traveling on interstate 40? You can expect just about anything really. I have traveled in mid Dec. in that area and its been 65 degrees and sunny. I've traveled when its been 25 and heavy snow. 40 is a major interstate and the dot is prepared at all times for snow. I have never heard of it being impassable in the mountains; although it was once closed because of a ROCK slide! So in answer to your question Sue, that area in Dec. is unpredictable, yet you shouldn't have any problems.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 05:51 AM
SueB

Make that trip just about every December and it is no problem. The state keeps interstate 40 clear. Take 40 to 20 in Columbia, 95 in Florence, then 76 to 501 to MB.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:22 AM
chuck

Sue,

just a correction to Sue B's directions. She left out I-26. Take 40 to Asheville, then take 26 East to Columbia. From there, take 20 to I-95 North (in Florence). And just a little tip for the rest of the way:

Don't get off onto 76 directly from I-95, instead go about 10 miles further North to 327. Exit and go right on 327, which connects you to 76, onto which you'll take a right (and avoid quite a bit of Florence traffic).

Also, instead of coming into MB on 501, you may want to consider taking Highway 22 (called the Conway Bypass) East of Aynor. This is a must if you are staying in North Myrtle Beach and a decent option for anywhere North of about 10th avenue in Myrtle Beach--at least until they get finished with roadwork on 501 between Conway and MB.

Have a great time!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 10:54 AM
danna

Note that the Blue Ridge Parkway is often closed (with a gate) in the winter if it gets icy. I agree that on the interstates and major roads it would be EXTREMELY unusual to have trouble driving.