N.C. "natural" snow?

Old Dec 15th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

N.C. "natural" snow?

I'm from Florida, and wondered if anyone can tell me the best place (if any place!) in N.C. to see "natural" snow. We'd like to take a drive after X-mas. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 03:51 PM

Go for the highest mountains you can find and then check the weather forecasts as the time approaches--but please, be sure to drive very s-l-o-w-l-y in the snow!
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 08:52 PM

If you are looking for the "quickest" chance a possibility would be take 75N to Atlanta, 85N from Atlanta to 985, 985 will change over to 441N. 441N will take you into NC. The first town will be Franklin. You are now in Blue Ridge/Smoky Mountain area. Within 30 mile radius you have many mountains above 4000' elevation. Most measurable snowfalls in winter occur above this elevation. There are several peaks with road acccess that are above 4000. This is probably the quickest route from Florida (2 hr from Atlanta) that will afford you the best possibility to see snow. Check 7 day forecasts for towns in western NC (Franklin, Sylva, Bryson City, Maggie Valley, etc.) Good luck kkraczek. So far this season we have had 2 pretty good snowfalls where I am.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 04:02 AM

Whether you see snowfall really depends on the weather systems going through, however, depending upon when you go (January-February would probably be your best chance), you may see some existing snow on the higher peaks if you don't get any actual snowfall. We have been at our place in Murphy NC at not too high of an elevation (2,500 ft) and have gotten snow while it just rained in town. Murphy has also gotten several snowfalls already this season. If you have any other questions on things to do or places to stay, please feel free to email me at [email protected], I have lots of info I could give to you.

Linda, from Florida too
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied... Smokyboy, I think I'll do that. From what I've read, it appears that there are plenty of places to see along the way, starting in Franklin, so even if we keep driving north along that route we'll have plenty to do. I'm excited to see the beautiful mountains- and hopefully snow! Thanks again!
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 01:25 PM

I rode my mtn bike in snow the last weekend of Nov and the next as well. This was in Pisgah National Forest around Asheville. Mt Pisgah is (I think) the highest elevation in NC at somewhere around 6000.

I understand that the college town of Boone gets even more snow than Asheville.

Old Dec 17th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

I was doing a little more reading... if I decided to start at the Dillard House in Georgia, would that be too far south to drive up to snow during the day? Thanks!
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 07:03 PM

Dillard, GA would probably be too far south under most circumstances to see a good chance of snow, but you could certainly start your day there and drive north which might result in seeing some snow, even as close as Highlands, NC (which is only maybe 20 minutes north but several thousand feet in elevation different). Franklin is only about a 20 minute drive from Dillard, too, and you can get to the Great Smoky Mountains NP fairly easily from there (provided US 441 to Newfound Gap is open).
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 07:44 AM

Dillard is only a few miles from the NC/GA state line, while there make sure and visit Dillard House. Good southern "home cooked" meals! Its possible you may even get to see snow in north Ga. mountains. In any case you are a short drive to mountains of NC.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 08:48 AM

The NC mountains are getting a lot of snow already this year so you may get lucky. It is always just whatever is happening. 6 inches forecast for tonight.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 09:16 AM

If this was one week later we would be having a white Christmas! I like the snows we have, unpredictable and not too much.