Reload this Page >

Winter Storm Watching in Oregon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 04:24 PM
Barbara

Reading some of the posts here makes me think going to Oregon coast in winter for storm watching sounds great. I just made reservations for a few days in Jan at the Overleaf Lodge in Yachats, Oregon. Good choice of place to stay?

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 06:14 PM
Barbara

The Overleaf is new. The Adobe Resort is a more established resort. It has a lot of coastal charm. You might want to check out their web site. My father lives only 30 minutes north of the Adobe and he has stayed there many times. He enjoys the food, service and views. He is an artist, and it is a beautiful place to paint/draw. Enjoy!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 12:05 AM
Sally

New? The )Overleaf is over 5 years old now. As for the Adobe, it;s a pit. Concrete floors, very shabby and run down and 40+ years old (and looks it) and the most callous, jaded, uninterested office staff on the Oregon coast. We wrote to AAA to complain about The Adobe out experience was so awful there (and that's our first complaint in 14 years of extensive Oregon coast travel). The Overleaf is 100% better than that pit, the Adobe.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 10:57 AM
Barbara

Thanks, Sally. Can you tell me how long to drive from PDX to Yachats? We are thinking of maybe staying over for one night midway between PDX and Yachats; can you suggest anything?

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 12:00 PM
Kameha

Barbara, you wouldn't need to stay over anywhere between Portland and Yachats. It's very doable in a day. I think it took us about 4 hours? Maybe 5 because of construction this summer.
While in Yachats check out Earthworks Gallery - it's very nice.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:41 PM
Barbara

Our flight is going to get into Portland late so we will want to stay someplace between PDX and Yachats. Can you recommend a halfway point?

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:57 PM
beachbum

The most scenic way to Yachats is to take highway 18 to Lincoln City and go down the coast. PDX to Lincoln City is 2.5 - 3 hours, with nothing memorable along the way (unless you want to gamble at Spirit Mountain). If you choose this route, you may as well go all the way.

The other would be I-5 south, cutting over to the coast around Albany. Nothing memorable this route either.

My advice - spend the night and have a nice dinner in Portland, then drive the next day.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 04:15 PM
Andrew

I've driven from Portland to Newport (about 25 minutes south of Lincoln City) many times - Yachats is about 15 miles south of Newport. Driving 99W to OR18 to US101 is the fastest way (even if with more slowdowns through towns), especially if there's no traffic. Driving at reasonable speeds I can make it from downtown Portland to Newport in about 2:10 that way, so to Yachats from the airport in about 3 hours. An alternative is to take I-5 south to OR 34 through Corvallis and then OR 34 to Waldport - but it's not really any faster, and I-5 is a pretty boring run. 99W is a pretty ride and so are parts of OR18, so I'd probably go that way.

Give Newport a look too. There's a sort of cheesy bayfront (where there's a Mo's for claim chowder) but you can look down on the barking sea lions on the docks there. Davis Park provides a nice view down on Nye Beach. The majestic Yaquina Bay Bridge on US 101 is beautiful. Of course, Newport has the reknowned Oregon Coast Acquarium.

AAA has a nice Oregon Coast tour map you might pick up.

There's nowhere special to stop in between PDX and Yachats. I think I'd just stay at an airport at PDX to be honest and head out the next morning. That way you can relax and enjoy dinner after your flight and head out early the next morning. Use Priceline/BiddingForTravel to get a good deal on a room near the airport.

Andrew