Winter/Christmas Resort

Nov 4th, 2017, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Winter/Christmas Resort

I’m looking for recommendations on a winter resort for this Christmas. Something with activities included (e.g. sledding, crafts, etc). We aren’t skiers so we are looking for something more than just a ski resort. I found this place in Montana called Paws Up, but it’s a little out of our price range being a luxury resort ($8,000). Any suggestions?
Nov 4th, 2017, 07:33 AM

Four Seasons at Jackson Hole Wyoming is so wonderful for Christmas.

Telluride..Beaver Creek or Vail, CO have fantastic resorts but know that it will be $$$ for Christmas.
Taos in New Mexico too.

Google and see what price point works well for you and your family.

Book soon and have a wonderful time.
Nov 4th, 2017, 09:25 AM

What's your price range, and how long do you want to stay?

I'd pick a ski town that appeals to you and has lots to do, and then find a hotel in your budget. Forget about the resort with activities idea. Lots of ski resorts have other things to do. You can bring your own crafts, buy a tubing pass, go on a tour of some kind, try different restaurants- for holidays, I usually book a budget hotel but then go somewhere like a four seasons for a special meal.

Anyway what I mean is that anything like paws up is going to be super expensive. Don't look for a discount paws up. Look for an attractive ski town with enough stuff other than skiing.
Nov 4th, 2017, 12:46 PM

In the east, the Mount Washington Hotel in New Hampshire has rooms over Christmas for ~ $600/night. Plenty of activities, spa, etc.
Nov 5th, 2017, 02:48 AM

Almost any snowy area at Christmas is in a high season for rates and demand so decide and make a reservation. You might find a place in Summit County Colorado off the slopes and then go enjoy places for the day.
Look on VRBO, etc.
Nov 5th, 2017, 07:02 AM

It’s not a resort, but I love Williamsburg, VA for Christmas. Tons of historical sites, great restaurants, lots of people watching, and fun craft activities. My husband and I made wooden ornaments and I think of the fun we had every time I add them to the tree.
Nov 5th, 2017, 10:46 AM

Don't know where you are, but a cousin spent Christmas in Williamsburg, VA, and just loved it.
Nov 5th, 2017, 03:22 PM

And there will be SO much snow there. LOL
Nov 5th, 2017, 08:18 PM

"I'd pick a ski town that appeals to you and has lots to do, and then find a hotel in your budget"

I agree.

Breckenridge would be a good choice.

Durango isn't a ski town but we really enjoyed winter trips there and especially a sleigh ride / dinner trip.

Jackson WY would be fabulous and they offer sleigh rides at the national elk refuge in winter.
Nov 6th, 2017, 07:42 AM

I always recommend Devil's Thumb Ranch, near Winter Park ski area, Colorado.

http://www.devilsthumbranch.com

It is a gorgeous Ralph Lauren-esque ranch, with all the winter activities you would want, plus a spa and very good restaurants.