Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Wine Spectator's Grand Tour Chicago Trip Report!!

Old May 15th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was the third time my husband and I have attended this event. It is held 3 times a year, this year in Atlantic City and Las Vegas as well.

This was the first time WS has held the event at the Navy Pier Grand Ballroom and what a huge success! The space was lovely with views over Lake Michigan and the lights of the city in the background. There were two levels used and the upper level had a large area for food and seating. A delicious fresh pasta station with breads was available as were many types of paninis, fruits, crackers with delicious spreads, a wide array of cheeses and coffee/tea service. It was nice to have a place to rest and share tasting notes with others.

This year, there were 213 wineries participating. To be invited, the wines are featured in WS as having over 90 point ratings and above or are listed as "best value for the taste" categories. There were many, many wines served which were in the $100 per bottle category and some wineries poured very select vintages. A REAL treat for oenophiles, and there were many there. I met several people who owned restaurants and traveled the world enjoying wine festivals. I began listening to conversations and when I would hear "guess what...Stag's Leap has a 1999" or such I would check it out. It's pretty difficult to decide what to try with 213 available! We took 3 other couples and that was a good way to compare and try. What delighted me the most was the crowd. It was never crowded. You never had to wait in line for a tasting. You had ample time to talk to the winemakers and owners and share stories. Having two levels made all the difference and this event was the best one I've EVER been to. Tickets were $200 each and at that price, you don't get people looking for a cheap high. There were serious wine lovers there ! Wines are arranged by varietal and country, so it's possible to do vertical tastings of type, country of origin, etc. Fantastic idea!

Some highlights:
Artezin- winemaker Randle Johnson (also with Hess) poured his 90 point, $25 bottle tasty Zin. Very fruity.
Chateau-Canon- 2001 St Emilion $80 very tasty velvety plummy wine without too much earth. Well balanced.
Chalk Hill 2006 Cab 90 points $48 nice jammy California cab
Vina Concha y Toro 2005 Cab $45 Interesting bold Chilean wine. Earthy, but rich fruit with some tobacco flavors.

New Zealand Sauvignon (Marlborough)
Kim Crawford- fresh and peach 2008
Nobilo Icon 2008- better than above. Very fruity and rich.
Allan Scott 2008- apples, roses. Very nie.
Domaine Chandon- Etoile Rose a yummy sparkler
Etude 2005 Cab- yummy, blackberries
Gemstone- 2006 Cabernet - oh my, I don't have numbers but the 05 got 96 points. This is a monster of a Cab- fruit forward with an explosive nose.
Glen Carlou- 06 Cab....a light Cab. We're fond of their Chards, and it was the first winery we visited in South Africa.
Gloria Ferrer Royal Cuvee 2001 VReserve- yummy sparkler. Delicious and affordable about $20.
Hall- 2005 Bergfeld Cab $66 WS 93 ...splendid true balanced Cab with huge nose.
Champagne Henriot 1998- a luscious true French champagne that curled my pinkie.
Maison Louis Latour 2005 Corton Grancey- $80. I tried, I poured. Earthy!
Chateau Margaux 2002- tradition. Still can't appreciate it.
Merry Edwards 2006 Pinot Noir- tasty, but a little thin.
Schramsberg J Schram 2001- $100 WS 93 - incredible sparkler, full fruit. Sold out.
Two Hands Shiraz 2007 Bella's Garden- $55 WS 93- a great Shiraz- spicy and bold.
Willakenzie Estate 2006 pierre Leon Pinot- WS89 $35 - very nice Washington pinot. Crisp.
Chateau d'Esclans Rose Garrus 2007- $100 Ths was an unexpected joy. Others passed this by thinking it was a White Zin! I know now that this lovely Chateau in Provence stole Mouton-Rothchild's winemaker and this Garrus is the world's best and most expensive Rose. ( how do you type the accent over the e?) I had to have two tastings, it was so divine and subtle. They only produce THREE cases of this liquid heaven. I am spolied forever.
Stag's Leap 1999 Fay Cabernet- what a nice treat for them to open this delicious number. You can still find it online between $70-115. WS 93, but after 10 years, I give it a 99! YUM.

Well, I tasted, I poured. I tried even more than above mentioned, but if the first sip didn't grab me, it was poured. Nobody got offended if one tasted and spat. Genteel people all around. I am most familiar with CA Cabs, Zins and Pinots, though I appreciate other wines. I wish I knew more about some of the fabulous wines of the world, but there's always next year!
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:35 PM

I'm a big fan of the Artezin. We are on Hess' mailing list and get these wines as part of our allocation. DH and I have done the WS tasting in NY, it is great fun.
Old May 15th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Linda: I read all your posts and love your sophisticated opinions. And I think this one is exciting. But how, pray tell, do you educate your spouse on the nuances of wine tasting? He likes his white zin, and don't try to change it!

He enjoyed our trip to Sonoma, but didn't come home with any revelations!
Old May 15th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

cheryl, 12 years ago I drank white zin and a few others, mostly sweet. Then I was introduced to wine by a real collector. He was just a friend, but it really spoiled me. When I met my DH, we were both beginning a "wine journey". We have taken seminars, been to MANY regions, tasted, talked, etc. One neat place to go is EPCOT's Food and Wine Fest. Lots of free seminars, lots of opportunities to learn and try in a Disney setting! The palate is something you develop, and unfortunately I have a hard time drinking cheap wine! Some are reasonable, but still! Anyway, show him this thread and tell him he needs to expand his horizons. Tell him he is emotionally eroding or something, lol! There ARE ways to train men.
Old May 15th, 2009, 05:03 PM

Outstanding report Linda!
We love wine and we have become Merry Edwards fans along with Shafer Cab Hillside Select..
Thanks again for sharing!
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi again guys! I realized that I was missing many favorites from my list and I just found out why- my husband ripped out a couple pages from the tasting book! Anyway, I hope some of these notes maybe help someone choose a good dinner wine or enjoy a wine tasting party!

Mollydooker The Boxer Shiraz $25 WS 90 points. I am actively seeking Mollydooker, cause all their wines are above 90 and they've won a ton of awards. Delicious Aussie Shiraz.

Peju Provence Cab Rutherford 2006 $105 This is their "flagship wine" and one to be extremely proud of. We've visited peju, met the owners and this time enjoyed their staff yodeler, Alan. Their wines are on the high side, but very, very good. This one makes a tear come to your eye.

Cliff Lede Cab Stag's Leap Poetry 2005 WS 91 points- Stag's leap Cabs are arguably the best in CA, maybe the world? The movie "Bottle Shock" was about the Chard, burt a Stag's Leap 73 Cab beat the French as well in the famous competition. This one is liquid gold. It's a fun winery to visit as well- go on a weekday.

Kosta Browne Pinot Noir $99 WS 95 This is the only Pinot worthy of that price. It's like a soft eruption of cherries and roses in the mouth. Wow!

Ferrari Carrano Prevail Alexander Valley 2005- $72 WS 90 A delicious blend, very jammy and rich.

Caymus Cab Napa Valley Special Selection 2006 $150 WS 94 points- when you see Caymus, you know it's going to be good. Expensive, too. Would I buy it? Probably not. Did I love it- didn't pour this one. I took it upstairs with a slice of brie and sipped. Heaven.

Bennett Lane Cab Reserve Napa Valley 2005 $95 WS 89- We belong to their wine club, so I'm partial, but they make big bold reds which are delicious. Fun tasting room as well. This was a more subtle and elegant wine from them, absolutely delicious. We also love their "Maximus".

AND finally!!

Quinta do Noval Vintage Port 2003 $95 WS 95 . I've had one better Portugese port, but it was over 75 years old. This is one of those special drinks that escapes description. This would be a very special gift, and port can stay corked in the bottle for some time. Truly spectacular.