Wine Country Train Worth the Money?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Want to know if the Wine Country Train is worth it? Planning to take mother-in-law there for a day trip. Looking for ideas for short quick trips...in town 2 days and don't want to stay in bay area.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 06:49 AM

The Wine Train is a pleasant experience, but it doesn’t stop at wineries (it just travels through the wine country). The food is OK but not great, and wines aren’t included in the price. If you’re going for the scenery it’s fine, but if you’d like to taste different wines or see wineries in person then I’d recommend driving yourself or even better, renting a limo with driver. If you like wineries a lot, you could do one day in Napa Valley and the other in Sonoma.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 08:15 AM

I don't think it's worth it. Try any one of the great restaurants around for lunch. Make reservations..try Tra Vigne. I can't tell from your post if you are in SF for two days and don't want to stay in the bay area or if you will be in Napa/Sonoma for two days.
There are a multitude of things to do in both places. Before I let go with the suggestions..can you narrow down areas, age of MIL(impairments?), how quick you want these trips to be?
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Me and my husband live in SF Bay Area. Mother-in-law is visiting. We are sick of the bay area..need to get away.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 09:25 AM

Have you ever visited Filoli before? www.filoli.org

It's 30 miles south of San Francisco, an historical house and gardens (654 acres). Really lovely. There's a cafe there that serves small snacks and desserts and a box lunch (otherwise you can picnic elsewhere off the grounds).

It's a very nice day trip. Lots of art, antiques to see in the house. Very casual place, with docents around to tell you about various aspects if you're interested.
Marge
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Marge. I checked out the website and it looks cool. Not too far but far enough
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 10:27 AM

Be sure to make reservations for Filoli. It is an easy walk through the gardens, if your mother-in-law has no problems with walking. It's a very special place and you will enjoy the house and the gardens.

The Wine Train is an expensive waste of time. Boring .. the tracks run past the back of a lot of homes and along the highway next to the cars.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 10:28 AM

Filoli is a great idea! Make reservations for the tour. How about a trip to Healdsburg? It's a charming little town with a nice area to walk around in. Take in some wineries for tasting and have lunch at Chateau Souverain.