Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

hey R5, STU and the SF/wine country experts!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2005, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey folks, i've been reading up on all the old posts about San Fran and Wine Country. lots of great info here from you people.

i thought i'd share the basics of our itinerary and see if you can help me fine-tune it and maximize our limited time.

there's 4 of us: me, wifey (1 yr. anniversary during the trip) and another married couple. we're all about 32-35.

we fly from BWI to LAX (wed. aug 31), rent car and go to Newport Beach to stay with a good friend for a couple days. he'll show us Huntington Beach and the SoCal coast around his area. Fri.Sep.2: drive up the coast and stay in Monterey one night. check out monterey and then santa cruz on our way up to San Fran and check in sat.sep.3. we're booked at a place sorta between Marina District and N.Beach (at Van Ness/Union). spend the next three days checking out san fran and Napa and fly out of SF wed.morning sep.7. how awesome is that?
wait! dont answer yet!
we got non-stop flights from Baltimore for $260/pp round trip!

now for the questions:

we arrive sat.night in SF and will probably just have dinner and walk around (suggestions welcome). our three full days are Sun, Mon (labor day), and Tues.

We'd like to take a one day excursion to wine country and possibly see Sonoma AND hit a couple of Napa places too. i've read all the things about Sonoma being less touristy and more charming, and that's great, but there's still some stuff we wanna see at Napa (sterling, Coppola...).
can we enjoy the more scenic drive thru Sonoma and head up toward Calistoga and hit the wineries there and at St. Helena? we all like wine, but we're not wine freaks or experts. so we think that hitting 3 or so places and a lunch, and enjoying the scenery might be enough for us.

as for other things we want to inlcude while in the SF area: Muir Woods, definitely. would like to check out Berkeley and Sausolito. would like to cover most of the basics of the in-town attractions in SF: Coit, Chinatown, MOMA, Golden Gate Park... none of us are too gung ho about Alcatraz, and have heard that it can be overrated. we wanna check out Haight, heard of some hippie walking tour on tuesday mornings, but i know there's not much to see/do there.

SO: it comes down to how do we break up the days? after our drive up the cost fri/sat, i imagine Sunday should be an in-town day where we dont need to get back in the car. Monday is labor day, not sure if that or tuesday would be better for the wine country jaunt.

not sure i've asked a concise question here.... hope it makes sense. just looking for some tips on what stuff/locations could/should be combined.

thanks in advance. you peeps really know your SanFran and wine country stuff!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 09:33 AM

The San Francisco Gran Prix bicycle race is scheduled for that Sunday the 4th of Sept. That will close off many roads in North Beach, the Embarcadero, Filmore etc...

Something to keep in mind!

Your idea of a few wineries on the way seems easily done. I would look for a nice place to visit in Sonoma also, try even a quick stop at Sonoma Square for a nice slice of old California. There are a few wineries, cafe's and shops around the square of interest plus the cheese factory, the Mission etc...
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the tip on the race. that confirms that we should probably hang around town on sunday and leave the car in the lot.

Old Jul 1st, 2005, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

TTT so Razzledazzle, Stu Dudley, and any other SF/wine country folks see this in the next few days!

Old Jul 1st, 2005, 02:42 PM

We just came back from a week in Napa. Spent most time in Napa, but went one full day over to Sonoma.
We are wine freaks...

Sonoma does have some of the prettiest wineries.

Ferrari-Carano is probably one of the most beautifully landscaped wineries in all of wine country - just a gorgeous place to visit - but does not offer much in wine tasting or wine tours.

Chateau Souverain is another very pretty winery. They have a great restaurant for lunch where you can dine on the patio overlooking the vineyard.
A bit better on the wine tasting, but no tour.

If you are driving up through Sonoma and coming back down through Calistoga, you could easily hit both
Ferrari-Carano and Chateau Souverain.

You'll get the best tours and information on wine over in Napa.

If you want to learn a bit about wine, I would suggest a tour at Mondavi or Opus (if you reserve ahead of time).

Coppola and Hess are nice if you like art and Oscars, but neither has very good wine tasting.

Definitely forget Seghesio. It is a bit hard to find and it is nothing special for tasting and has no tour.

If you really want a unique tasting experience and can spend a few bucks, the following two wineries have a great tour and tasting that allows you to taste right from the barrel and tour the caves – very cool and very good tasting.
Del Dotto Vineyards and Jarvis winery.
Both of these are at the southern end of Napa, so maybe you could hit them on your way back.

One of the poshest resorts in Napa is Auberge Soleil. That would be a great place for lunch in Napa.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the info. very helpful!

anyone else?
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 08:00 AM

You have a very large list of todo's for San Francisco...I would skip Berkley and do Sausilito and Muir Woods on the same day. That would leave a full day to explore the SF neighborhoods.

If you only plan on doing one day in wine country, you could do 3 wineries and a nice lunch. I don't see a need to go to Sonoma if you have already picked out a few wineries in Napa, although I also prefer Sonoma to Napa. You could drive into Napa up Route 29 all the way up to Calistoga and have lunch (about two hours from your hotel)Head back down into the valley on Silverado Trail to see different scenery and wineries.
Enjoy!
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

hmm. good points.
we'll also consider someone elses suggestion of dinner in Sausolito on our way back from Napa...
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

bumping this to the top.

also open to any suggestions regarding where to stay on our drive from SoCal to NoCal. something in/around monterey.

thanks!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

sorry to keep bumping this.... but stuff falls off the first page pretty quickly around here!

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Muir Woods doesn't have 1/2 of the much needed parking on off-season weekends, so try to leave your trip till Tuesday and go as early as you can.

Sausalito is a picturesque village with photo views, not more. Definitely go, you can make it your breakfast or lunch stop on the way to/from Muir and continue on to the wine country.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

thanks Faina. i think i read about the parking/crowds at Muir woods, so we'll definitely leave early. at first i was thinking of doing our wine country day on Monday (the middle of our 3 days) but then thought maybe it'd be less crowded on tuesday.
we cant do everything on the tuesday, so some things we'll just have to do sunday and monday with the holiday weekend crowds!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 10:35 PM

If you get to Muir Woods between 8 and 9 AM you can enter for free. Probably you can enter at 6 AM but the park doesn't officially open until 8. You can always enter for free by hiking down from the surrounding Mount Tam(alpais) State Park, if you're willing to do a mile or two of steep downward hiking, about 1000 feet down, and of course, back up on the way out. Bootjack Picnic area is just the other side of Muir Woods' main entrance, 1000 feet further up the mountain on Panaromic Highway. About 2 miles down to the far end of Muir Woods' trail, and that's about a mile from the entrance to MW.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 10:42 PM

I should say, Bootjack has a five dollar parking charge, unless you get a space in the dirt parking area on the south side of the highway. Muir Woods is three dollars to enter last I was there, and it's flat all for a mile all the way to the end of the paved main trail.

There's free parking along Panoramic Highway in many places other than Bootjack, at Mountain Home Inn, specifically, and that's the best place to enter MW for free, *if* you know the trails to take!
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the helpful tips, Sequoia. that's good info.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:57 AM

Hi tlf18!
Sorry I'm not Stu or R5, but I'm from a wine family, and a SF resident of 16 years if that gives me any credentials?! First, it's very difficult and time consuming to do Napa and Sonoma in one day. So, it's best to pick one. Napa will offer more in the way of tours, the wineries are mostly off either rt 29 or the Silverado Trail to the west. Sonoma is more scenic, less touristy, but the wineries are a little more spread out. If you are looking for outstanding cabs, hit Napa. Great Zins and Pinot, go to Sonoma. You should expect to do about 3-4 wineries in one day, and also have lunch. I highly recommend bringing a bottle of water with you for several reasons. 1) it's hot up there and you will be thirsty. 2) you will want to "dilute" the amount of wine you are tasting. It will sneak up on you. Be careful drinking and driving. Depending on how this years crops are doing you may hit the actual "crush", so you will see the harvesting and wine process in action.

If you want to enjoy wine and scenery, definitely do Sonoma. You will feel like you are lost in the vineyards of Europe. Napa has great wines too, but is not as scenic. It just depends on what you are looking for.

If you go to Sonoma, go to downtown Healdsburg to the square. On the right hand corner is the "Oakville Grocery". They have outstanding cheeses, breads, prepared foods (pasta salads, etc) and you can grab the stuff for a fabulous lunch. Then, find a winery you like (many have picnic tables) get a bottle of wine and have a great picnic outside! I prefer that to any restaurant up there! (Oh, even if the weather is hot in the wine country, we have very low humidity...just an FYI)

About your SF plans....your places are a bit spread out. I do recommend the alcatraz tour. I didn't think I was interested, until I went the first time. I highly recommend it now! In fact, I don't know anyone who has gone who didn't love the tour! But...make reservations in advance!!!! They do sell out. And, if you go, get the audio tour. (and the views are amazing!)

Sausalito is nice, but really something you can drive through to see without stopping. On your way back from the wine country, take the Sausalito exit, drive through the town and it will wind you back onto 101S just at the base of the GG Bridge.

Coit tower is great for views, but if it's a foggy day, forget it. Also if it's a busy weekend, it could take you hours just to drive to the top because of limited parking. Just FYI so you don't waste your day.

Haight street is fun. It's mostly tatoo shops, vintage clothing, etc. and, unfortunately a lot of homeless. I was there today for 30 minutes and had at least 4 people ask me for money and a cigarette, and I wasn't even smoking! There are some fun shops to see though. Be careful there at night, and be careful of pickpockets.

On Broderick in the Marina district is the Palace of Fine Arts. It was built for the world expo in 1915, and is simply breathtakingly beautiful. There is a lake and grass area around if you want to have a picnic. It's fun just to walk around it. (In fact, I did that today!)

In the Marina District, on Chestnut one block from Pierce, check out "E'Angelos". It's a small Italian restaurant, cash only, but the most amazing Italian food. In fact, my ex (who is Italian) took all his family there when they came to visit. Another friend said it was the best Italian food he's had since he was in Italy. Prices are good too!

If you want to ride a cable car, skip the long lines for the Powell street car and catch the California Street line. Less lines and tourists. (remember, our cable cars are transportation not just a tourist activity!)

If you want to visit Berkeley, the best way is to catch BART (our subway) it will take you to the heart of Berkeley, you can walk around and then come back to SF. Easier than taking the car.

Golden Gate Park is gorgeous, but huge. Check out a map before you go, so you can decide what you want to check out. There are lakes you can rent boats, there are specific flower gardens, we have a Japanese Tea Garden, Museums, I think an Aquarium, and buffalo. yes, Buffalo!

Sorry for the long post, but hope this helps! Have a wonderful visit....and Happy Anniversary!

oH....We might have an "indian summer" during your visit, but usually, our weather is about 65 degrees, up or down depending on your location to the water. It's usually windy, so it's smart to bring a light jacket.

Have a great time, and post back if you have further questions.
Andiamo

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 02:00 AM

Oops, sorry, Silverado Trail is to the East not the West!
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

awesome response, andiamo. thanks for taking the time, it was very helpful. we'll be playing lots of the in-city stuff by ear i guess. still trying to gage what's best for which day. we have a sunday, a holiday monday, and a tuesday, so it's a wierd combo.

i am thinking we might do Napa since we're newbies and know that someday we can do Sonoma. the rest our trip includes plenty of scenic driving so we'll have our fill of that.

thanks again for the repsonse.
i guess Razzledazzle and Stu Dudley haven't been around much lately or they keep missing this.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 08:14 AM

For an even better lunch experience in Healdsburg, check out Bovolo just off the square. This is a very small, very casual and very delicious experience. They make pizza and sandwiches.
For wine tasting check out www.wineroad.com. I am a greater fan of the Sonoma side of things over Napa. You are coming (on the Sonoma side) the the country of great pinot noirs and zinfandels. If you wish to taste an exceptional chardonnay look into Miramar.

I would suggest you check out some of the SF posts that are about what to do "after the touristy bit". You will find a great deal of suggestions from us locals.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 03:59 PM

Happy to help, have a great trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -