Search

Wine Country

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wine Country

My boyfriend & I are planning a trip from MI to California's wine country this summer. We'll be flying to San Francisco & want to know what would be a good plan for a 5-6 day trip.
Old May 20th, 2003, 02:08 PM
uuhhhh

a good plan would be to do a little research before you ask the question.

Old May 20th, 2003, 03:13 PM

Gee uuhhh, this is Kelly's first post. You might be a little more helpful.

Kelly, there are always a lot of posts about the wine country; both Napa and Sonoma counties. If you enter some keywords into the search box you'll get lots of input. Then when you develop more specific questions (hotels, restaurants, etc.) post those individually.

5-6 days should give you lots of time to really do justice to the area. You will have a great time.

Happy planning!
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:42 PM
cd

Hi Kelly
If it were me, I would do 3days SF (to include Alcatrz tour) and 2days wine country. We loved Sonoma but have never been to Napa. They are close together so you could go both places if you have time. We chose Sonoma because people on this board said it was less crowded and all of Napa wineries charge for tastings.
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:59 PM

We did something like this last spring and spent three days in S.F. and two in Napa . . Sonoma and Napa are close enough together that you can see a little of each . . Consensus here seems to be that Sonoma is better, but we actually enjoyed Napa valley more. We stayed in St Helena and used it as a base camp to explore both valleys.

In addition to the Alcatraz tour, we enjoyed the other Greyline tours a lot. Took the half day wheeled trolley tour and really enjoyed it.

Enjoy . . we certainly did.

Rich
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:02 PM

I'd recommend you read some guidebooks to get a sense of what you want from the wine country which could(fromSF) mean Napa,Sonoma and/or Mendocino Counties. Napa is probably the most developed(and corporate)with all the amenities to match. Sonoma feels more rural to me and the tasting rooms are not such a scene(most tasating rooms in Napa charge) and some in Sonoma charge as well. Sonoma has a variety of regions(the valley) and the Russian RIver region. Mendocino is the most laid back of the three with some wonderful tasting rooms. This is where you can really get a feel for small wineries. I'd also recommend staying in two areas over trying to commute between or among them. Mendocino is the most distance from SF. I think you can have a great experience in a 6 day period. All this being said..check back with specific questions and regions and you'll get all sorts of advice. BTW..reserve ASAP lodging and any high spot dining venues you are inclined to want to try.
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:54 PM

If you can, avoid Napa on the weekend, particularly on Saturday. If you're up there on the weekend try Sonoma those two days- much less crowded, more time to chat with the people in the tasting rooms, easier reservations, etc.

In Sonoma be sure to try Barthalemew Park- they only sell the wines there, and are very good and the staff is very helpful.
Old May 21st, 2003, 05:28 AM

If you're including time in San Francisco, be sure to do your tastings during the week and do the city on the weekend. Less business traffic,etc. We scheduled 2 days in Napa, 2 Sonoma, 3 SF, but ended up staying 3 in Sonoma wishing we had skipped Napa. Also, a better drive from SF to Sonoma.
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:13 PM

I would (did) spend 2-3 days in wine country (not all Napa wineries charge, and those that do are still worth it!). Robert Mondavi's is $10 but the best winery we went it. It was near end of day and we were the last group. The tour guide gave us tastings of $200 bottles of wine that a lunch group eating there had left behind. It was really beautiful and informative. I can't remember if Viensa is in Sonomo or Napa but it is also lovely and has great oils, dips and other food.

In Napa, a great place to eat is the Napa Valley Grille, a tad pricey (though its name would suggest otherwise) but for $100 you two will have a lovely meal.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:28 AM

Viensa is in Sonoma, I went there on Friday. We also visited Roche and Cline in Sonoma - all lovely. These are some of the first wineries you encounter on your way from San Francisco into Wine Country.