Wilma's Impact on Miami hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling to the Trump Sonesta Sunny Isles Resort next week (business meeting) and are wondering if anyone knows of its status since Wilma went through. We know that the power is out and some places have lost water....am I right to assume that they will focus on restoring power and water to businesses first?

Frankly, I hope they first take care of all of the people who are in need--really don't care if we need to cancel this business portion of our trip. Just wondering if we need to change plans.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 03:21 AM

Have you tried reaching the hotel directly or through its reservation service which I suspect would be a better source of true "first-hand" information.

If that hotel is actually without power (how do you know this for certain?) any Fodorites in the general vicinity would probably be without power as well.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 03:58 AM

This morning, my father-in-law who lives in Miami wrote us this...

"I am OK, a lot of houses were damaged and the trees that were not uprooted by Katrina well..... Luckily it was a dry storm, and worst was the wind, there is no power in over 90% of Miami and the prognosis is weeks due to the extensive wind damage. No electricity, no gas stations, banks food stores etc.The first priority is to clean up the main roads, then to restore electricity etc. This morning I took my first cold shower since Andrew and now I am at work. There is a mandatory curfew in Miami 8:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. until further notice. FEMA and the national Guard have been activated. I am at work against my common sense, but we were mandated to come due to the damage and restoration effort, we lost a considerable amount of third rail which just fell to the ground, so you can image the power of the wind to push tons of rail to the ground."

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

I realize that many are without power so my question was definitely a shot in the dark. To be honest, I figure that the hotel has been inundated with calls and that their staff is overtaxed at this point. Figured I'd try to figure this out without bothering them yet. Maybe crazy.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the update, AnneMarie. Sounds like it's iffy for power in the next week. Hope my husband's firm decides to go elsewhere.

Glad that your father is o.k. although a cold shower sounds awful...best of luck to him through this!
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 04:35 AM

Thank you, ccrosner.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 04:48 AM
GoTravel

Because of Andrew, structures had to be built to hurricane code to withstand 150 mile an hour winds.

Little structural damage but lots of down trees, signs, etc.