Search

Williamsburg Virginia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2008, 07:47 PM
cbr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Williamsburg Virginia

We are planning a summer trip and thought this area would be great for the family, two adults and kids age 11 & 13. I haven't been since I was a kid. Is the area very touristy? We are Floridians and have had enough of that! Is the Kingsmill resort nice? Any recommendations on where to go would be appreciated.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 08:16 PM

If you're budget allows, stay at the Williamsburg Inn or Williamsburg Lodge, both within easy walking distance of the historic area (Duke of Gloucester Street).

Plan to spend at 2 days in the historic area. BE SURE to start at the visitors' center; watch the short film 'Story of a Patriot'. It'll set the mood for your visit to the historic area.

Your children will enjoy the many programs available for them.

www.history.org/kids/

Finally, don't miss Jamestown and Yorktown.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 03:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Kingsmill is very nice and a great place for kids that age. Many of the rooms are actually condos with full kitchens and dining areas. Some overlooking the river or pond. There are activities for any interest. Tennis clinics for kids or adults, par 3 golf, game room, indoor pool, raquetball and basketball courts. Nice outdoor pool, beach on the river, kayak and bike rentals, and a 4 mile bike/walking trail. Free shuttles will take you to Colonial Williamsburg or Busch Gardens.

There are touristy areas in Williamsburg mainly along the hotel row on Richmond Rd. and bypass but Colonial Williamsburg is unique and, IMHO, lovely especially in the early morning and evening.

For that age Busch Gardens, Water Country, and Colonial Williamsburg are high on the list. I would also recommend either Jamestown site, Yorktown, and the Virginia Living Museum to give you a different and historical experience that you won't find in Florida.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 03:36 AM

I agree with Birdie. We stayed at week at the Kingsmill Resort a few years ago and it is really lovely. We had a beautiful one bedroom condo with a full kitchen, washer/dryer, dining area, living room and balcony. Kingsmill is a great resort with lots to do. Restaurants, golf, indoor/outdoor pools, spa, racquet ball, bicycles, etc.

Kingsmill is close to Busch Gardens and Water Country USA which your children will enjoy. Colonial Williamsburg is less than 10 minutes away.

I just want to warn you - summer in Williamsburg can be brutally hot and humid. I know you are from Florida, but we thought it was worse than Florida in summer.

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:24 AM
cbr
Original Poster

Thank you all. So much for escaping the Florida heat!
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:42 AM

ABout that film "Story of a Patriot", my husband visited Williamsburg as a child, almost 50 years ago. He had vivid memories of the film they showed. Low and behold....it's the same film! They never changed it, never updated it. It's the longest running movie in the country!
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:10 AM

We really enjoyed the evening entertaiment. There are a variety of shows offered. (I think they were free, not sure if it was because of the pass or that we were staying in their hotel)

Also make reservations to eat in one of the taverns or restaraunts. We really enjoyed Cristina Cambell's.

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:18 AM

Here's another recommendation for Kingsmill. We've stayed twice and wouldn't hesitate to go back again. We were a part of a group of 3 families with kids ranging from 8-15 and all had a great time. We particularly enjoyed the golf on the par 3 course, the pools, racquet ball courts, shuttles to BG and WC, early entry in BG and the golf cart rides around the resort. My girls enjoyed the spa for kids activity too.

Coincidently one family was from Florida - they didn't mind the heat. The other two families were from Massachusetts - we survived but it was very hot and very humid.