Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Why does it take so long to check in at an airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 07:31 AM
bob

Maybe some one could answer this question. Are there any check-in employees out there?

Okay here is my beef. Why is it that you have to stand in line to check in. Why does it seem to take ages for the check-in person to check you and your luggage in. I have my ticket and ID in hand. All my details should already be in the computer system - I have already booked thru the travel agent/internet/phone etc. Surely all the check-in person needs to do is pull up my name on their computer screen, print off a boarding pass and bag tags. Should take 1 minute.
But instead it seems like they have to go and punch in everything all again, screen after screen. They have to punch in so much stuff on their computers. Isn't the details already there? Are the software programs they are using outdated? Would a mouse or pointer help.
I fly Horizon/Alaskan quite a bit and they now have check-in "do it yourself" computer stations. I haven't tried it yet but it looks easy, quick and no lines.
Interestingly on my last trip to Seattle I was booked on Alaskan, the line to check-in was huge, would have taken 40 mins or more. Instead I went to the Horizon desk, which had no line, asked them if I could check in there, "No Problems" they said. Certainly saved my butt as I was running late.

So not to bash check-in employees, but exactly what are you doing behind that computer screen??

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 08:52 AM
Brian in Atlanta

That's a good question, and I imagine that the delays will be blamed on customers. When I have an electronic ticket on Delta and have no special requests, I get my boarding pass in about 15 seconds. I think the reason the line moves so slow is that people are requesting different seats, trying to get upgrades, having their seats assigned for numerous legs, presenting tickets from another flight to be used for that flight, etc.

I will love to see the day when Delta starts using those check-in kiosks.

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 10:41 AM
Howard

Sorry, Bob, but in this complex world of ours, a longer-than-desired wait in a checkin line is not one of my major concerns in life!

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 12:05 PM
jjones123

Gee Howard.
Your wonderfully written and helpful advice will really come in handy next time in am stuck in a long ckeckin line.

I hope I long lines infest your future travel plans!

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 12:53 PM
D.B.

The electronic tickets/check-in is a breeze, provided there are enough kiosks. If this takes over, the 30 minute lines will simply move to the kiosks. Some airlines are beginning electronic check-in for international flights as well. The other option is to already have your tickets with seat assignments and use only carry-on luggage, then go straight to the gate and wait for them to call your seating row. It's that check-in luggage that really bogs you down and can screw you up. Or, be responsible, just don't run late. gt;

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 01:18 PM
david

The computer that Bob is talking about for self checkin is called an ITM. Check it out at www.alaskaair.com/IT/html/IT.stm#locations

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 01:25 PM
howard

To: jjones123
Sorry that my response offended you so much. No, I don't enjoy waiting in long checkin lines either...and I've encountered long lines many times. But, I just don't think it's one of the greatest travel problems I've ever encountered. (Actually, I'm actually more bothered by rude and/or sarcastic responses!)

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 06:09 PM
Jimmy

Howard, Go back and read the original question. Then read your response. You didn't answer the question. You were rude and sarcastic.

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 08:54 PM
god

Because...there are folks (ever so pathetic) ahead of you in the line serviced by clerks who aren't the least bit concerned with the length of the line -they move at the same pace regardless....!

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 06:58 AM
Howard

Jimmmy: Mea culpa!

Old Sep 3rd, 1999, 05:26 PM
Jimmy

Howard, You a culpa?

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 05:52 AM
Howard

Yes, Jimmy, in other words, I plead guilty!

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 07:18 AM
bob

Just got back into town, after an out of town trip. I did have to check luggage but surprisingly the check in process was effecient and timely. Maybe some of those that work behind the desk read this forum and have sped things up a bit. I still think the computer systems need an overhaul and I am glad to see the Instant Travel Machines becoming more prominent and popular. I wonder one day if they could check luggage too. Planes could be flown by robots and flight attendents replaced with vending machines. It could happen!