Reload this Page >

Family Destinations in Hawaii?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 06:04 AM
Rachel Kolokoff

We are considering a return to trip to Hawaii (June, 2000) and I am looking for a good family place. Children, ages 1 to 16. I would prefer (semi) all-inclusive (rooms and food) but do not care if drinks and activities are extra. We have stayed at Kona Village which we loved, but would like to try somewhere else.

We are low-key, do not need a lot of action, just a great beach and pool, nice rooms and good food! We do not have a particular island in mind so any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 05:07 PM
annemarie

The first place that comes to mind with family is the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island. This is my children's favuorite place above the Kea Lani, the Princeville, the Ritz, the Hyatt on Kauai. We got a bounce back rate which included a lovely buffet breakfast. Our room had a king size bed, a double couch pullout and there was no charge for the rollaway so everyone was pretty comfortable. Here, your older children will have the freedom of taking the monorail or the boat taxi to different places to buy an icecream. There is no beach proper but they have built a man made beach/lagoon complete with rafts, paddleboats. Here one can snorkel quite safely and not worry about undercurrents, waves etc. I find in general the beaches in Hawaii a bit stressful with kids.(not like the Caribbean) There is Dolphinquest for the kids to swim with the dolphins, hammocks everywhere, fitness centre, restaurants, coffee shops, arcade about 4 pools, I think. It was a really nice atmosphere, not hectic at all. Don't tell your kids about it if you decide to go. I never did this time and they almost flipped. You drive up to valet parking, to wooden doors closed not knowing on the other side is not a hotel but a whole village. Quite stunning! Please look into it. Now, that having been said, the Hyatt on Kauai is also a nice family property. Kids program is 5.00 extra a day(popcorn,videos, pop, pingpong, small room) but the beach in July was not at all swimmable and is not during the summer which is when you are going. The Kea Lani on Maui at Wailea is a superb suite style property you can look into as well but I still think this first one would be the best. Feel free to email me for further info or questions. Annemarie

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 05:08 PM
annemarie

The first place that comes to mind with family is the Hilton Waikoloa Village on the Big Island. This is my children's favuorite place above the Kea Lani, the Princeville, the Ritz, the Hyatt on Kauai. We got a bounce back rate which included a lovely buffet breakfast. Our room had a king size bed, a double couch pullout and there was no charge for the rollaway so everyone was pretty comfortable. Here, your older children will have the freedom of taking the monorail or the boat taxi to different places to buy an icecream. There is no beach proper but they have built a man made beach/lagoon complete with rafts, paddleboats. Here one can snorkel quite safely and not worry about undercurrents, waves etc. I find in general the beaches in Hawaii a bit stressful with kids.(not like the Caribbean) There is Dolphinquest for the kids to swim with the dolphins, hammocks everywhere, fitness centre, restaurants, coffee shops, arcade about 4 pools, I think. It was a really nice atmosphere, not hectic at all. Don't tell your kids about it if you decide to go. I never did this time and they almost flipped. You drive up to valet parking, to wooden doors closed not knowing on the other side is not a hotel but a whole village. Quite stunning! Please look into it. Now, that having been said, the Hyatt on Kauai is also a nice family property. Kids program is 5.00 extra a day(popcorn,videos, pop, pingpong, small room) but the beach in July was not at all swimmable and is not during the summer which is when you are going. The Kea Lani on Maui at Wailea is a superb suite style property you can look into as well but I still think this first one would be the best. Feel free to email me for further info or questions. Annemarie

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 05:27 AM
Rachel

I will look into these properties. Thanks very much for the info!

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 08:48 AM
Lori

Rachel,
Why not consider a condo? I would think with kids it would be a lot more convenient, since all the ones we stayed in had washer/dryers, sometimes 2 bathrooms, full kitchens, etc. The extra room would be a godsend in traveling with children. I would recommend Maui as the ideal spot in Hawaii to vacation as there is simply more to do there than on the other islands even for "low key" folks! We have no vested interest in any condos on Maui but I can recommend The Mahana (between Kaanapoli and Kapalua) as a great place, all units face the ocean too. While the beach right in front of it is not fantastic, just a tiny bit to the left is a marvelous stretch of beach. The Mahana has 2 bedroom units with 2 baths, the units we have stayed in there have all been very nice and newly decorated. There are so many condos on Maui you can get overwhelmed just looking at the websites! Perhaps with children the Napili area would be nice too, I've had friends who stayed there with their family and loved it. I don't know what the Embassy Suites are like (just north of the Mahana) but we've always noticed a lot of small children there and they have 2-room suites like all other Embassy Suites. As I said there are so many condos out there it is really hard to choose after awhile.