Reload this Page >

Why Christmas in Hawaii?

Search

Why Christmas in Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2003, 11:56 PM
gyppielou

Why Christmas in Hawaii?

Spent the day searching for12/15 - 12/29. Found a great place in Princeville for 15th - 22nd, cannot find anything in Maui over Christmas, never mind paying over the top...why do the crowds pay crazy money to be on an overcrowded island over the holidays???? We just thought Hawaii at Christmas would be fun....seems like it's a madhouse with overloaded streets, hotels, condos,restaurants.......just doesn't seem inviting ground? Still want to getaway....anyone..????? Is it so wonderful over Christmas that people can't help but be overcharged and herded....just really want to go!!!

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who said Maui is "a madhouse with overloaded streets, hotels, condos, restaurants"? True, the 2 weeks of Christmas and New Years are the most busiest weeks of the year for us and yes, the roads are somewhat more crowded than usual but don't let anyone give you the impression the crowds are just spilling out onto the streets and every restaurant has a 5 hour wait time for a table. If you have to wait 90 minutes for a table, I'd sure rather do it watching a gorgeous sunset while walking the beach instead of sitting in a smoke-filled bar watching Kobe Bryant proclaim his innocence from a TV monitor on each of the drab 4 walls. As far as "why do crowds pay crazy money to be on an overcrowded island over the holidays????" Have you ever been able to celebrate Christmas at Kamaole Beachpark in 84 degree whether swimming, boogie-boarding, playing in the sand and just kicking back? Where else does Santa Claus come to town riding a surfboard??? And.....have you ever seen a New Years Eve celebration on Hawaii???? UNREAL! That's why.
There are places that offer fairly decent rates for these 2 weeks.....however, looking for them on October 11th is WAY too late.
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 04:57 AM

Can't tell if you have been to Maui before or not. The beginning of your post seems like you are seeking info on places to stay but you end your post talking about being overcharged and herded.

First, let me say that I question why anyone would want to come to Maui the last week of the year myself but come they do. Some families come every year so they must love it. I'm sure a lot has to do with the fact that, with such a long plane flight, you need a minimum of five days to really enjoy the islands and summer aside, Christmas break is the only lengthy period kids are out of school.

Many dream of having a "White Christmas" but many more also dream about spending Christmas on the beach with a tan. Ya know Blue Hawaii was Elvis' number one selling album for a reason. But make no mistake it will be busy. Christmas thru New Years is absolutely the busiest ten days of the year on Maui. October is a little late to start looking unless it is for the Christmas after the next. Many families reserve rooms for the next Christmas upon checkout.

As far as herding,I've seen guys at the airport holding signs alerting you your limousine is waiting but I have never seen anyone holding a sign reading remember it's busy, please try to stay in line and follow the herd. If you choose to follow the herd you are part of the herd.

The best kept secret is that the busiest week of the year on Maui is preceded by the absolutely slowest week of the year. So, do the smart thing and come just before the Christmas holidays and enjoy deserted beaches and no crowds at all. Plus with empty flights I'm sure there are plane deals to be had.

Much of what you see as overcharging has to do with the price of land and the fact that mainland oil companies gouge Hawaii at the rate of at least a dollar more per gallon of gasoline which forces all other prices up. Also unlike the mainland every employer in Hawaii provides health care for all its employees to the tune of, from $100 to over $500 a month per each employee. A hotel can have 1000 employees. With hotels at 100 percent occupancy, the laws of supply and demand speak to the fact that there must be a lot of people who do not feel overcharged.

Maui is the most exotic island in America if not the world. It has been voted by travelers as the best island in the world for over ten years now. Considering the madness that has engulfed last few years Maui has something else to offer these days, peace of mind. Surrounded by at least 2500 miles of beautiful blue Pacific Ocean in any given direction and the most powerful naval fleet in the history of mankind whose motto is Remember Pearl Harbor, the islands of Hawaii are the most secure real estate on earth. It tends to make for a nicer vacation knowing your family is not walking around with targets on their back.

Aloha
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 01:30 PM

We booked our Christmas vacation to Maui in February. I was hesitant to book that early but now I am glad I did. We got fairly reasonable plane tickets and we opted not to stay at the Sheraton or Hyatt. We had stayed at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel several years ago and are giving it another try. We are in an oceanfront room for half the price of the others plus it includes the car. I know when we were initially looking many of the condos were already booked or had a week minimum. We're excited to go, crowds and all!
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 03:28 PM
kip

We spent last Christmas and New Year's in Hawaii and here is our 'why': a bay full of humpback whales on Christmas morning; a opportunity to see Santa arrive in his full regalia in an outrigger canoe on Waikiki Beach while the Farrington High School band played Christmas carols on the beach; wonderfully decorated local homes down at Napo'opo'o complete with music that would come on as you watched by; attending a Christmas eve church service sung in Hawaiian in a candlelit church; lots of aloha and not hugely busy, stockings filled with chocolates from the Kailua Chocolate Factory; and I hate to admit it- no family obligations on the mainland! And 78f in late December can't be beat!
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 11:58 PM
gyppielou

Lighten up everyone, and thanks for the positive suggestions. I have been to Maui a few times. If I came across with a seeming negative attitude, I apologize. We love this island, and want to see what the whole Christmas thing is about. I am just coming up blank on any kind of lodging other than the airport, or 1500 a night. I would love to make this happen, although I spoke with a condo owner who said their building was completely booked...Aston said all their resorts, and there are many are booked. There just does not seem to be a decent room to be had on the island, which, I find remarkable and dissappointing for me. Still trying to make Christmas a joyous occasion....would love to spend some time on services and dining, however I really need to find a room..........anyone???? Thanks everyone. Sorry if you took my post the wrong way.

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 03:03 AM

"There just does not seem to be a decent room to be had on the island, which, I find remarkable....."
----------------------------------------
Not remarkable at all. You don't know Maui very well, do you? As several posters already told you, the period of time over Christmas and New Years is THE busiest and the most crowded. Many resorts and condos are booked a year in advance. You'll probably either have to end up paying the big bucks or looking at some other destination. And if you're wondering why the resorts charge such an outrageous price for this time period, it's because........they can! And they'll get the outrageous price, too. If not from you then from somebody else.....but they'll get it!
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 12:22 PM

gyppielou, I just checked the Marriott site and it is showing rooms available at both the Marriott Ocean Club and and the Renaissance in Wailea. They are in that 300-600 range. The Kaanapli Beach Hotel is still showing availablility. If you could tell us what your definition of decent is maybe someone can come up with a suggestion. I hope it works out for you.

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 01:45 PM
gyppielou

mahalo anita, I'll recheck them. I did find 1 rm at Palms, Vista and a new boutique hotel in Kihie. I'm finally making headway! I've found a few properties available with a 26th checkout - that is when things get jamming.

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 04:21 PM
gyppielou

I'm booked!!!! Merry Christmas to all and to all a gnight....will report back after the new year!

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 04:37 PM
dar

Thanks to my job, I have to travel over the holidays and hate having to pay the rip off prices. Although, Santa looks GREAT in shorts!!!!
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 02:25 AM

TTT
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 11:40 AM

for the past two years i've spent the week BETWEEN Christmas and New Year's on Oahu and Maui. it's busy, yes, but it's also beautiful, tropical, and well, it's Hawaii for pete's sake!!!
i haven't felt overcharged, herded, overwhelmed, ripped off, cold, bored, disappointed, or anything else during my visits except.... quite fortunate.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 05:40 AM

We made our reservations for the week of Christmas last January.
Using FF miles for the airfare and staying in a condo so we can make most of our meals.

The kids really just want to swim and play at the beach...we'll do some shopping and hit the Ocean Center.

I made reservations for the Old Lahina Luau at the same time...and we're excited about that (except for the fact that we have to pay FULL FARE for a two year old who won't eat or drink a thing). Ouch.

But...we bought no presents..the kids know that the trip is their present.

So...we'll just go with the flow..and if it's crowded we'll just have another drink and relax even more!