Christmas & NYs in Hawaii(10days)

Oct 3rd, 2005, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Christmas & NYs in Hawaii(10days)

My husband & I( & possibly my parents) are planning to go to Hawaii this Christmas. My husband & I love the ocean, doing outdoor activities and learning/seeing the cultural side of Hawaii. Only I have been there once back in May '97(BI & Oahu) but never during the holidays. Is it still warm at this time? Any suggestions as to which islands we should visit & for how long? Are 3 islands in 11 days/10 nights too much? We are tossing around Maui & Kaui, probably even Oahu but would like to hear other people's feedback, esp locals. Are there special events going on that we shouldn't miss? We are also looking into airfares from Chicago. Any ideas what price would be right, considering it is high season? The lowest one I've found is $813 but takes 13-15 hours of travel. Is that my best bet? Thanks so much in advance.
Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:45 AM

yes, it is warm in Hawaii at Christmas. Yes, I personally think 3 islands in 10 days is too much, but others will disagree. If you are just now starting to plan a trip for this Christmas, I suggest you get busy and book as soon as possible. Flights and hotels fill up during this very busy season.
Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:57 AM

I've never been right at Christmas but as late in the year as mid-November. It was beautiful. Yes, personally I think 3 islands is 2 too many, but that's just me. If you mean Christmas 2005 I would start researching asap, your island choice might be influenced by what hotels you find available.
Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:15 PM

All the islands will be warm (mid 80s) except of course if you go to the top of the mountains (Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa, even Haleakala). They are cold! I'm talking mid-30s. And windy. So prepare accordingly.

3 islands is do-able but I think you might be disappointed by Oahu. I lived on Maui for 20 years (I still have family there) and most people I speak to are. Except for the USS Arizona, there is little that makes Honolulu attractive. Waikiki Beach is a tourist trap. The beaches on other islands are much better and you can learn to surf many other places. With only 10 days and the fact that you've been to Oahu before, I suggest bagging it and dividing your time between Maui and Kauai.

If you found a fare of 831, grab it immediately. Fares usually for that time are $1200-1500. 12-13 hours with layovers is to be expected. The flights from Chicago is about 9 hours directly.

I can't think of any "not to miss" events during that time but First Night is fun for New Years. It is a non-alcoholic event every New Years on Maui. Held in Lahaina, it's very festive with hundreds of people going out and having a good time.
Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:01 PM

We went to Maui Xmas of 2003 for 10 nights. I think we went from Dec. 19th - 29th. We had great weather during our stay but the day we left it started to rain and continued for about a week.

We flew from Fargo and with stops it also took us about 12 hours. We paid about $820 for our tickets.

I also agree that if you are going you had better decide soon as it was very busy during that time. We booked out 10 months in advance.
Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:55 PM

Also, book your rental car. No deals during high season. Book and see if they go down, and rebook.