Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Why can't I get the Venetian in a package?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 11:34 PM
Roxanne

Hi. I have a question for those in the know. My fiance and I finally decided on a Vegas honeymoon. We're excited! We want to stay at the Venetian in June but whenever we try to check packages and hotel rates on-line they say the Venetian is not available. We called the hotel, and they said they had plenty of rooms-but of course none as cheap as with a package. Does anyone understand this? Some of the packages had the Bellagio which is just as nice as the Venetian, so I don't understand. Thanks. Roxanne

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 03:50 AM
Sam

Sounds like yield management software at work to me! Certain rates and packages are usually not offered every day so perhaps discounted packages are sold out? One other option is that perhaps the Venetian isn't looking that far ahead and hasn't "opened" the packages yet!

Call the reservations manager directly.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 03:56 AM
Patrick

I am surprised by your comment about Bellagio which is "just as nice as the Venetian." There is no comparison between those two hotels. We were highly disappointed in The Venetian. We felt the public areas were extemely tacky -- the hokey boat trip, and the poor quality "Walt Disney -like" attempt at trying to look like Venice. We did not stay there and I understand their rooms are nice, but it is certainly my opinion that The Bellagio and The Venetian are in two entirely different classes. I agree that it is probably too early to get a lot of the "packages".

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 08:18 AM
Roxanne

Patrick,
I was going on what I'd found on the web. I've never been to Vegas! However, after doing a little more research I think that we're going to go with the Bellagio after all. We saw The Venetian on the Discovery Channel's show about the ten top hotels in the world-and heard the rooms were very big and nice. But most people on www.lvol.com and here seemed to prefer the Bellagio. So, thanks for warning me! Bellagio it is!

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 08:55 AM
d

Don't want to be a pessimist, but I think someone should pre-warn you that Las Vegas is very hot in June and can be miserable for wandering around the Strip. So make sure that you find an all inclusive resort, so that you don't need to leave the a/c! Bellagio sounds like a good choice. Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 03:43 PM
Lilly

Roxanne

Excellent Choice!! Bellagio is BEAUTIFUL!! You won't be sorry. Be sure to ask for a room with a view of the fountains. Venetian is beautiful too, but I'd go with Bellagio, especially for your honeymoon...

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 08:29 PM
roni

Hi Roxanne,
Great Choice the Bellagio. my husband I got married there 1 1/2 years ago in June. It was absolutely wonderful. The venetian was under contruction at the time, but we did get to venture in, and it did look beautiful, with all the classical themes. But in my opinion, I was more than very very pleased with the Bellagio.. We were married June 10th, and it wasn't as hot as I thought it was. The hotel is beautiful, and they even have their own art museum. The rooms were lovely, but definitely definitely request a view of the fountains. At night time, the fountains put on a show, and if you tune in to their tv station, the fountains play in cordination with the music. It was great. We absolutely did NOT do the all inclusive, as there are too many wonderful places to eat. But the bottom line was, My own personal opinion was the bellagio Buffet was the best food and largest i've ever seen. A little more money, I'm only talking about $18.00 for a meal, but watch out, they have everything from everytype of seafood, to everytype of desert imaginable. We ate there almost every night. We strolled all around the strip and it was great to return to the magnificant Bellagio in the evening, also makes wonderful indoor pictures. We actually had our pictures taken by the museum where they have these steps leading to the museum, which are surrounded by classical statues. We were not married at the Bellagio, we opted for a more casual thing, so we decided to get married at the Little White Chapel, which was very nice and quaint, They had a limo pick us up, take us for the license, while he waited outside, when the ceremony was over, he took us back to our hotel to drop off our stuff, and then to the stratosphere or our wedding dinner on the top revolving floor. They have a web site, not sure what it is now, but they offer packages, with flowers, pictures, video, limo, etc, and not too expensive at all compared to some of the hotel weddings. Afterwards, my husband even did that roller coaster thing on the top of the stratosphere. I myself was a little too tipsy to get on anything like that,especially in a wedding gown at 2am, so I chose to just wait for him. What a night. After that, we hired a limo to drive us around the strip for an hour or two, it was great. But whatever you choose, book everything ahead and it will all run smoothly., we got wonderful rates on the Bellagio online, and booked everything in advance. Congrats, Roni

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 10:08 PM
John

Actually, the Venetian is quite clearly the SUPERIOR hotel in every way imaginable! And Patrick, if you prefer the REAL Venice, which in reality is quite a SEWER in itself (I really don't understand people's fascination with that filthy place!), then by all means, please continue vacationing there and leave the very beautiful, artificial one for others to appreciate!!

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 08:46 AM
Patrick

John: interesting comment. So you say the real Venice is a sewer and you don't understand anyone's fascination with the place, but you love a place that spent millions of dollars trying to represent it and you love staying there? We each have our own opinion, but I'd like to meet with anyone who would walk through the public areas of both the Venetian and the Bellagio, then look me straight in the face and say that the Venetian is "classier". I fail to believe, incidentally, that I am in a minority who would place the Bellagio at a higher level than the Venetian.

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 10:24 AM
LVresident

Message to Patrick: I would suggest you ignore John who is so far off base it is unbelievable. Either he owns stock in the place or else he has some personal vendetta against The Bellagio. If the Venetian is better, then someone ought to tell the hundreds of polls and reviewers who all say the opposite. I also think it is funny that a person who hates the real Venice loves a place that is obsessed with imitating it, very poorly, I might add.

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 10:44 PM
Roxanne

Wow! I've started a war. I guess that everybody has his or her personal opinion. We went ahead and booked our package to the Bellagio. We did it through Mirage, and I think we got a good deal. 7 days in Vegas comes June! Whoooo! I want to go now. Hopefully we'll get a chance to go to the Hoover Dam and maybe the Grand Canyon, although I think that's pretty far. Anyway, no need to fight. It's probably possible to go the same hotel at different times and have totally different experiences. Thanks everyone!

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 08:22 AM
brooke

Both the Bellagio and Venetian are nice, I agree the Bellagio is probably better overall. I was just there in September and my husband and I had a great time. We saw Cirque du Soleil at the Bellagio, it was pricey, but worth every dime and my husband is not one to usually enjoy that type of thing. You can book up to three months in advance if you want to go, it is a very popular show. Or you can wait until the last minute and see if there are any cancellations.

The Grand Canyon is pretty far and expensive. If you are looking for an alternative that is closer and cheaper.... Red Rock Canyon is a good choice, although not as spectatular as the Grand Canyon of course. You can do Red Rock in a 4X4 or by horseback. My husband and I did horseback at sunset.....very beautiful, but we were a little saddle sore after 2 hours. I would try to spend one day away from the strip if you can, the surrounding areas really are breathtaking. You can find out all you need to know about these side trips on the net.

Have a wonderful time, sorry I got side tracked from your orginal question, but looks like you have made up your mind to stay at the Bellagio!

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 12:57 PM
Amy

I would like to answer your original question regarding why packages are not avaliable at the Venetian. They Actually are, but only through a few select vendors: National Vacations, Future Vacation and I believe that Continental Vacations offers them also. The reason you don't see many packages at this property is simply because the owner wants to market it towards the convention bussiness and not towards the vacation traveler. I have to agree with the comments regarding the Bellagio, I do prefer that property to the Venetian. Have a nice vacation.

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 01:12 AM
John

Patrick, the reason I really like the "new" Venice is exactly as I stated: Precisely because it is NEW, CLEAN and SANITIZED! What should the builder have done -- carved out the entire Las Vegas Valley in order to replicate your beloved Venice exactly to your specifications and scale?!? I think not! As a matter of fact, I can walk into the lobby/public areas of any Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons (or other independent hotels) and be far more impressed than I was with the Bellagio. And yes, the Venetian IS classier -- but certainly more ostentatious and "over the top" without looking cheap and cheesy, which is what you're suggesting! If you're truly looking for cheap and cheesy, try the Excalibur! THAT is the epitome of it!!You sort of remind me of the same group of people who favor the Four Seasons over the Grand Wailea in Maui, when the Grand Wailea is also quite clearly the superior resort in every way imaginable! Once again, it, too, is quite ostentatious and "over the top," and I do think that MANY people have a problem with that type of hotel, hence their disdain for the Venetian as well ("they" throw around terms like "understated elegance," "classy," etc., which are simply synonyms for boring and uninteresting!).

And to LVresident: NO, I don't own stock in the Venetian or have a vendetta against the Bellagio. It IS a beautiful hotel, although the rooms ARE small and unimpressive for what you have to pay, so it's NOT worth returning to. I also know that many "lv residents" such as yourself are anti-Venetian simply because of the past union problems and for no other justifiable reason! Perhaps you, too, fall into that category, I don't know. And I have also noticed how all of you LV "natives" seem to be such staunch supporters of Steve Wynn which might also have something to do with your position. But again, I am NOT a fan of Steve Wynn or his properties. I was NOT overly impressed with the Mirage years ago, and I am NOT overly impressed with the Bellagio either!!