Reload this Page >

WHwere to get Train to Philly from NYC on a Sunday

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I am a stranger to the U.S. Board. I recogonise a few names from the European board where I tend to post.

I have a query on how/where to get a train to Philidelphia on a Sunday from NYC. My other half is flying to NYC on business from Dublin and I think I successfully scared him out of driving from Manhatten down to Philly. He would kill himself driving in NY trying to find the turnpike! Any sites for trains in NY to Philadelphia and prices.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:19 AM

Here it is:

http://www.amtrak.com

~Liz
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Floorit

Amtrak.com

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:24 AM

This would take you much longer, but if you need to save money, Greyhound is offering a special of each-way tickets to/from Philly for $12 (a price that?s valid seven days a week). Obviously the train is faster, but this is just another option. http://www.greyhound.com
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:39 AM

If you find Amtrak too expensive, you could always take New Jersey Transit and connect in Trenton to a Septa train. It will take a bit longer.

www.njtransit.com
www.septa.org

You'll pick up the train at Penn Station in NYC and connect in Trenton, NJ. You'll want the NE Corridor Line in NYC and connect to the R7 Septa train in Trenton.

Andrew
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:42 AM

PS. NJ Transit is a TRAIN and so is SEPTA. You'd take two trains from NYC to Philly. I think the total cost would be about $25 each way per person.

Andrew
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Which NYC airport is he flying into? If JFK or LaGuardia, he will have to get into Manhattan to get an Amtrak or NJ Transit train or a Greyhound Bus. If he is flying into Newark, he can take a cab, bus or the AirTrain to Newark Penn Station and get Amtrak and NJ Transit trains from there. He should also be able to get a Greyhound Bus from Newark but check the greyhound website just to be sure.

Website for Newark airport is http://www.newarkairport.com/aviation/ewrhomemain.htm

Website for JFK is http://www.kennedyairport.com/aviation/jfkhomemain.html

Website for LaGuardia is http://www.laguardiaairport.com/avia...gahomemain.htm

Each gives a ton of information on transportation options into Newark, NYC and to points further failed like Philadelphia.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 08:17 AM

If flying into Newark airport, AirTrain takes you to the new airport train station - no need to go to Newark Penn Station anymore. You catch Amtrak and NJT trains at that station.

Andrew

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 01:16 PM

Yes, Airtrain takes you to the new EWR rail station .... for $5 extra above any rail fare. A local NJT city bus will get you to Newark Penn a lot cheaper, altho you do pay in added time. Being on business, Siobhan's other half will probably pay for the easiest way there, but others should know all the options.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 01:59 PM

The $5 fee to get from the Airport train station to EWR is actually a one-way fare. It is charged only going TO the airport. If you are going from the airport to the train station, and you have an Amtrak or NJT ticket, you don't pay the $5 going that way. (You can buy train tickets from machines at the airport before you even get on the AirTrain.) I did this just in August. All I had to do was slip my NJT ticket into the machine at the train station to get through - no extra cost. It is $5 to go the other direction. Think of it as $2.50 each direction - probably not worth the extra time of taking a bus from the airport to NJ Penn Station.

Andrew
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 02:19 PM

Thank you for the clarification, Andrew - I thought it was $5 each way. It would be a cold day in h*ll before I'd take the city bus, but that would matter to some. Personally, I like the Olympia Bus, as it's usually not during peak travel that I've had to make the trip.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 02:51 PM

Hi Siobhan. Penn Station in Manhattan is where you get the train. It's located at 33 st & 7th ave. The fastest is the Amtrak train. Tell us which airport he's coming into and whether he's on a budget.

There's a train from either Newark or JFK to get to Penn Station. There are also coaches (supershuttle.com) or taxis. The trains from the airports do require some changing. Tell us where he arrives and what time.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 04:23 PM
yk

Just to clarify the cost to take NJTransit + Septa one-way from NYC to Philadelphia:

NJTransit = $10.40
Septa = $7

Total $17.40
If you get on at NY Penn Station, you can buy both tickets (NJT & SEPTA) at the same time, instead of having to line up in Trenton to buy the SEPTA part.

However, if you go from Newark Airport station to Philadelphia:
NJTransit (from Newark) = $12.65
SEPTA = $7 (same)

Total = $19.65

Even though Newark Airport station is closer to Trenton compared to NYC, the fare is higher due to the extra (hidden) charge for the AirTrain.

Still, a lot cheaper than Amtrak ($49 1-way), but takes an extra hour (2.5hrs vs 1.5 hrs on Amtrak).
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 04:39 PM

yk is right. You don't need to take a train from Newark Airport into NYC to Penn Station - you can catch either the Amtrak train (direct to Trenton) or the NJ Transit Train (change at Trenton to SEPTA) at the Newark Airport Station. From JFK you must take a train into Manhattan and connect at NY Penn Station to Philly.

Amtrak offers discounts like AAA for example, and it is a nicer, faster train than the NJ Transit/Septa trains. Up to you to decide whether it's worth the extra expense.

Andrew
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:23 PM

I believe this is why you only need to pay on the Airtrain from the EWR Train station to EWR, but not the return. Since basically everybody who rides the Airtrain from EWR to the train station will then take a train (either Amtrak or NJTransit), they simply put the $5 into your Amtrak/NJT fare. So, you don't need to pay twice.

But this won't work the other way because anybody can ride a train without the extra fare, and no one can stop you from getting off at the EWR Train station. Therefore, the Airtrain fare has to be charged seperately before you get on the Airtrain towards the airport terminals.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:51 PM
yk

Regarding the Newark AirTrain - the $5 fee is ONLY for people who do not have a NJT or Amtrak ticket for EWR airport station.

Let's say I'm traveling from Trenton to EWR on NJT. The price is still $12.65 one-way (same as my post above for the reverse direction.) The price from Trenton to NYC (Penn Statio) is only $10.40. If I buy a ticket from Trenton to NYC for $10.40 but get off at EWR station to get to the airport, I'll have to pay that $5 charge for the AirTrain. However, if I buy a ticket from Trenton to EWR for $12.65, my NJT ticket will work at the turnstiles for the AirTrain, and hence, I don't have to pay the $5 charge. I guess this is a way to make sure people cannot cheat.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:51 PM

Well, the fare between Trenton to and from the EWR Airport station is $12.65 each way, plus the $5 you pay to get back on AirTrain to the EWR terminal. The NJ Transit fare between Trenton and NJ Penn Station is only $7.65 each way. In effect you are paying a $15 surcharge to use the airport station ($5 each way on NJT, $5 to get back to the airport). Amtrak seems to charge the same $5 surcharge ($45 between Trenton and EWR, $40 between Trenton and NJ Penn Station).

I can understand why they collect the $5 only one-way, because AirTrain is free between airport terminals, shuttles, and parking lots. It would be impossible (without fare inspectors) to charge the fare going to the train station and still make AirTrain free for everyone else. One might ask why they don't just collect $7.50 on each train instead of only $5 and skip the $5 charge at the end? I would think most riders would prefer to have the fee buried completely in their train ticket and not grumble at paying the $5 at the end.

Andrew
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:55 PM

Oh, yk, I didn't see your post before I finished mine. I had to pay $5 the last time I used AirTrain from Amtrak to EWR because the bozos at Continental didn't get my connecting info to Amtrak in time for them to write me real ticket, so I got something hand-written to get on the train. Of course this didn't work in any turnstile. I forget whether I asked or not whether my written ticket was valid or whether I was late and just paid the $5 to get through.

Andrew
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 07:55 PM
yk

This following website will explain the $5 surcharge:
http://www.portnynj.com/airtrainnewark/

=======================================
How to buy a ticket to or from the airport.
Buy a NJ TRANSIT® or Amtrak® ticket to or from Newark Liberty International Airport Train Station, and that ticket covers both the NJ TRANSIT or Amtrak portion of your ride as well as the AirTrain portion. You must use the ticket twice ? regardless of which direction you?re traveling. You?ll need to show the ticket to the conductor on the NJ TRANSIT or Amtrak train, and you?ll need the ticket to pass through the fareline at Newark Liberty International Airport Train Station. So don?t forget to take the ticket with you.

If you already have a NJ TRANSIT or Amtrak ticket, including a commuter weekly or monthly ticket, to a destination past the Newark Liberty International Airport Train Station, you may use it to get to or from the Newark Liberty International Airport Train Station. However, you will also need to purchase a separate $5 NJ TRANSIT ticket at the Newark Liberty International Airport Train Station from ticket machines located within the station.
======================================
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 11:40 AM

Cicerone--??? <Each gives a ton of information on transportation options into Newark, NYC and to points further failed like Philadelphia.> I know we have our difficulties here in Philly, but I didn't think we'd fallen below Newark!

Siobhan-If your spouse was planning on renting a car, he should be more scared about driving (and paying for parking)in Manhattan than about driving to Phila., which is very easy. The Lincoln Tunnel basically deposits you right on the NJ Turnpike, which leads right to the PA Turnpike, which leads to numerous easy routes into downtown Philly. Parking and driving in Phila. are simple compared to NYC! The Amtrak train into Phila. goes to 30th St. Station, which is not in the heart of downtown. You will need to walk, take a taxi, bus, local train, or subway from 30th street to reach the main downtown area. The NJ transit train to the Trenton Septa R7 train WILL take you to a station right in the heart of downtown: either Suburban station at 16th St. and JFK Blvd. or Market East Station at 11th and Market Sts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -