Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > whitewater rafting - Buena Vista, Leadville, or elsewhere

whitewater rafting - Buena Vista, Leadville, or elsewhere

Jun 26th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

whitewater rafting - Buena Vista, Leadville, or elsewhere

Where is a really good place to white water raft near (or in) Buena Vista or Leadville, and any companies to go with over another? Thanks.
Jun 27th, 2006, 04:09 AM

There are lots of rafting companies along the Arkansas River just south of Buena Vista along highway 24. Have gone with River Runners in the past--http://www.riverrunnersltd.com/ Always had a wet and wild good time. After rafting, you might consider going to Mt Princeton Hot Springs (very close) and soak in one of their pools--http://www.mtprinceton.com/
Jun 27th, 2006, 04:44 AM

We've rafted several rivers all around the west and my favorite is the Arkansas (access near Buena Vista) - very scenic and fun!
Jun 27th, 2006, 06:26 AM

i would stongly recommened www.buffalojoe.com they have been in business 30 years and run a great outfit. fun, knowledgeable, experienced guides.
a good general source is: www.aroa.org/rafting-members.asp - be sure you are looking at the buena vista companies.
while in leadville consider the grill on elm street. best mexican food in colo.
Jun 27th, 2006, 09:10 AM
MaureenB

Aspen Whitewater runs trips on the Arkansas, too. We just used them last week on the Roaring Fork, and liked their very personal style. Smaller rafts, smaller groups, more fun.

Jun 27th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. How long, approximately, is a full-day trip?
Jun 27th, 2006, 09:10 PM
MaureenB

It depends on the company, where you have to meet them, how long you ride in their van to the river. Our half-day trip in Aspen was just a 15-minute van ride to the Roaring Fork. We left at l:30p, returned by 4:00p, and were on the river for two full hours. With a full day, you will stop for lunch. Rafting is a riot.
Ask what class rapids you will encounter. Class IIIs are great for intermediate thrills. Not sure I'd be up for Class IVs-- they will probably specify those runs for experts.

Jun 28th, 2006, 06:08 AM

If you go with the outfitters along the Arkansas south of Buena Vista--most (all) put in right there and you ride the bus back to there after you come off the river. I seem to remember earliest trips started around 9 am. My personal feeling after having done both half-day and full-day trips is that half-day is best. You still get plenty of excitement through the rapids and you're done by early afternoon. If it's like it was a few years ago, smile pretty as you go into the first rapids, they'll be taking your picture for purchase later. Oh, and having done both oar (the guide does all the rowing and you just have to hold on through the rapids) and paddle boats (guide in the back steering and all passengers paddle)-- I prefer an oar boat. Guess it depends on what you want.
Jun 28th, 2006, 02:01 PM
MaureenB

Martym makes a good point that you ask about the type of raft they use, and the number of people in them. We had our family of four in a smaller raft, not an oar boat, but with one guide. We were on just Class III rapids on the Roaring Fork, and it was a blast. We are all able-bodied, and we liked the thrill of using the oars ourselves. We had some 'technical' moves on a couple of the rapids, so it's a bit frightening. It is not for the faint-hearted, nor for Rapids above III for me. But we had a great time.
We were worn out after our half-day, which was plenty since it's a relatively strenuous ride.
So, it all depends on the type of trip you choose. For a gentle float trip through a beautiful countryside or canyon, I'd definitely try a full day.
Have fun. Whatever you choose, it will be a great experience.

Jun 28th, 2006, 05:47 PM

I just went yesterday while visiting in CO and used AVA Adventures. We had a blast. My family of 5 did a half day (4hrs) in a raft w/ a guide and had a wonderful time. There were class III rapids. We paid $59/adults & $49 kids. It was worth the $$.
Jul 28th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Just got back - did the 3/4 Browns Canyon Express with AVA...they were great, thanks! Will definately go back.

Search this Thread