White Plains wedding-airport advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Multiple family members flying to NYC area for wedding in White Plains/Purchase area late May. Hoping for a few suggestions:
1. We heard to fly into Newark is better than Laguardia, But it is double the distance. Then there's a Westchester County airport that seems really close, but of course less choices. Any tips? We will be renting a car. Any prediction on how long it will take us to get the rental, drive to White Plains? This is Memorial Day weekend but flights arriving Wed, Th, and Friday day time.
2. For family that's not renting a car, is there a good public transportation option, from Laguardia? If not any idea of limo/cab/uber ideas from Laguardia to that area? Should we pick them up there, or if not familiar with the airport is it better to avoid it?
3. For those that want to go to Manhattan for a day, what is best public transportation option? Does it run frequently?

Thanks so much, looking forward to returning to the Hudson Valley and getting to see some sights too.
First time using this forum, hope I've done this correctly!
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 01:45 PM

The best would be LGA, even though it is under masssive renovation. The rental cars are off the premises of the airporrt, but you can take the Whitestone Bridge to the Bronx and then to White Plians.

It could not be easier to get into Manhattan from WH. You take Metro North to Grand Central Station. There is also North White Plains, but try to go from WH, where are there are more trains.

it is impossible to predict driving time. It could be 45 to 11/2 depending on traffic.

​​​For those not renting a car, take either a taxi or the bus to Grand Central and then take a Metro North train to WH. There are schedules on-line

I have never flown into White Plains airport, even when lived north of the city.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 01:48 PM

I have not flown from Stewart Aiport in many years, but see what the flights cost and availability of car rentals. You will going to WH from the north, not south and avoiding NYC congestion.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 01:57 PM

I have flown into White Plains several times and it's very convenient. I would not want to be driving to White Plains on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend, period.

Car service from LaGuardia to White Plains - about $100.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 03:22 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We frequently used Westchester Airport on border with Greenwich, CT when we lived in the area. See what the flight times and prices are. Much more convenient and you would rent a car there.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the quick responses, we will fly to Westchester, less flights but there is one that works for us! Luckily the others that are going thru LGA are flying in on Th not Friday!