Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

White Mountains in New Hampshire or Stowe, Vermont w/ young Kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're making some changes to our upcoming New England trip. We have 4 days, 3 nights to plan and will be coming/going from Boston.

We're considering staying 2 nights in possible Lincoln, New Hampshire and then heading to Stowe for one night. I know it's alot of traveling but I'm afraid there won't be enough for us to do in the White Mountains for 3 nights/4 days. Unfortunately, some of the attractions we wanted to see will still be closed untl end of June. (i.,e. Robert Frost House, Santa Land, Whale water park thing...)

I would like to see the Plume and the zip line and maybe take the train up to Mount Washington. We'll have early elementary school age kids with us who are quite seasoned travelers.

I'm having a hard time finding a hotel in the White Mountains that appeal to us. They mostly seem to be old and rather dated. The newer more chain-type places like the Hampton Inn in Littleton seem to be in towns and not in the beautiful mountain scenery like I envision. I showed my spouse the top-rated tripadvisor reviews for the Profile Motel in Lincoln and he rejected it due to the photos.

We need help. Our trip is coming up soon and I need to make some decisions. Again, I think that 3 nights in the White Mountains will be too much, but only 1 night in Stowe seems not enough. Any suggestions for places to stay in Stowe will also be appreciated. Or, if someone can suggest another itinerary for us for a place in New Hampshire/Vermont we haven't thought of, that would be welcome as well.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 08:31 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
We have twice stayed at the Green Mountain Inn in Stowe, but it's been several years since. We did not have children with us, but I saw other families with kids. I like it because it's right in the center of town, within walking distance of everything, and has a lot of charm (and a good dining room also.) I love Stowe, and if I didn't live on the other side of the country, I'd go there more often!
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 02:34 AM

Rather than Stowe, perhaps consider a stop in Portsmouth NH before heading on to the White Mountains. There's Water Country just outside of Portsmouth. The children's museum in Dover (moved from Portsmouth), boat rides. We have not been to the museums in Manchester NH but that's another option - i.e. SEE science center/Lego Millyard project (it's new since DS was young). Other options might be the Mt Kearsarge Indian Museum in Warner NH (convenient to rt 89, not far off from Rt 93) or Canterbury Shaker Village or the Christa McAuliffe Planetarium in Concord.
It's been a little cool for water park fun but you shouldn't have any problem finding a place to rent kayaks.
Stowe is lovely but there is plenty to do in NH if you don't want to do a lot of driving. Have you checked ski area condos? Another thought would be staying in Meredith or Wolfeboro NH in a place with views of the lake i.e. the Inn at Mill Falls. Lake Winnipesaukee is right below the White Mountains. Sorry, this is an area we visit as day trips.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 05:31 AM

It was several years ago, but when my kids were younger we would go to Waterville Valley for a week or so - there were a range of accomodations, but we usually rented a condo. There are plenty of things to do right there (gorgeous vistas too) and lots within an easy drive if you want to go exploring:visitwatervillevalley.com
We have some great memories of those days...plus its a bit closer to Boston.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 05:42 AM

Will StoryLand be open when you visit? That place is the best! We used to take the kids there when they were young and stay at the Nordic Village. Awesome fun.

We love Stowe too - check out the Golden Eagle