Search

White Mountains

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2021, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Mountains

We are planning a family trip (kids age 3-16) to the White Mountains of NH this summer.
We plan to rent an Airbnb and go out from there for hikes and exploring. Where would be the best area to stay?
We passed through New Hampshire once years ago but otherwise are not too familiar with the area.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 07:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Crawford Notch area- Attitash Mountain Resort for lodging
Franconia Notch area- Lincoln-Loon Mountain for lodging.

With children, I would pick Attitash.

Old Feb 15th, 2021, 02:20 AM

You have a lot of choices. One time we were camping in Campton and took the Kancamagus Hwy from west to east with some time spent looking around North Conway and then back west via a more southerly route that goes thru Tamworth and Sandwich in time to have lunch at the Red Hill Dairy take-out in Moultonborough. Here are some of my favorite things to do:
Squam Lakes Science Center - you can easily spend the day if you attend some of their educational talks with live animals such as the Eastern Coyote
also via the Science Center - pontoon boat cruise of Squam Lake with a naturalist. We did a late afternoon cruise in early September and saw lots of loons
The Flume is a pricey hike through a gorge but worth it - take time to look at the photos and memorabilia in the visitors center
Get a guide such as Hiking in the White Mountains with Children - we liked the hike to Arethusa Falls but if you get a DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer for NH you will find less known short hikes via the listing of waterfalls

Lodging somewhere along the I93 corridor will give you easy access north and south. It's on the west side of the mountains so you can also do an easy day trip to Vermont. Depending on when you visit, the Great Corn Maze in Danville Vt would be a fun visit. Recent newspaper article raved about Littleton NH and as great place to live and visit. If you are interested in wildflowers, there's a beautiful stand of yellow lady slippers at the Rocks Estate in Bethlehem but depends on your timing. You can also easily get to Lake Winnipesaukee (exit 23, Meredith) and perhaps the family would enjoy a visit to Weirs Beach and Fun Spot.

We're not crazy about the east side since North Conway can have too much traffic but in that area it doesn't take long to reach Portland ME should you crave seafood that might be slightly fresher than what you can find in NH. A friend used to live in Wolfboro and liked the easy drive to York ME to visit family.
If you like swimming, I would look into renting something on the water on the northern side of Lake Winnipesaukee but also look at some of the smaller lakes near Wolfboro. You would be very close to the mountains.
Fat tire mountain biking is very popular right now. Lodging at a ski area might include bike rentals. But, keep in mind everybody goes to the well known hiking areas which got so bad last year it was a big problem. Find the lesser known trails.
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! This is great info. I will check it out.
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 07:07 AM

I grew up in Lincoln/North Woodstock and its a short drive to a lot of nice areas, including the flume and gorge and other great outdoor activities. Plus you can visit Clarks Trading post, which is really fun for kids as it includes a short train ride and bears. It's an interesting, small NH mountain town that will have options for AirBnB and restaurants.