Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

HELP--Looking for escape from Tx. heat in beautiful Co. mountains. mountains!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2000, 02:30 PM
Becca

We are planning a trip to Colorado in mid-
August. "We" means my husband and I, plus
our 21 yr old daughter. It will be the first
trip to Colorado for my daughter and I; we
are familiar with mountains in Switzerland and Montana and are really looking forward to
the fresh mountain air in Colorado. We plan to do some hiking in the mountains, as well as other possible outdoor activities such as fly-fishing or white water rafting or horse-back riding.

We are looking for the best location to spend
five or six nights and take day trips without
spending "mucho" car time, since we are driving up from Texas so that we can use our
4 WD Navigator on mountain roads.

Hence my dilemna: have always heard the most
spectacular scenery is in Rocky Mountain Natl. Park area, so I was considering a condo
in Breckenridge area. It seemed a good choice because it is a little larger than some other Summit County places and more casual and "low-key" than Vail or Aspen, but
not as far north (for driving time) as Estes Park or Grand Lake.

HOWEVER---I keep hearing (and have read on
the message boards) great things about the
Durango and Telluride areas. My husband was
in Telluride briefly and found it beautiful.
Therefore, my options have narrowed down to
Telluride/Durango/Purgatory or the Breckenridge area. Which would you recommend
as a home base for a lovely mountain spot
with a comfortable feel, some restaurants,
and short drive to various scenic spots and
outdoor activities? Any particular condo or
lodge with suites anyone can recommend?

I'm late in getting reservations so I am in
desperate need of help!! Thanks in advance...

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 02:39 PM
Karen

I've lived in Colorado since 1977, and would select SW corner close to Telluride/Purg/Durango (although Rocky Mtn Natl Park is hard to beat).

In the SW corner is Mesa Verde National Park, ancient Pueblo dwelling.

Also, there's a great train ride, the Silverton-Durango line. Make reservations VERY early...now would be good. You can train up, and bus back. You'd stay in Durango to catch the train.

Durango area has some great hiking, both short and easier, or long and strenous. The visitor's center has maps that show distance & difficulty.

The drive to Telluride is spectacular. Telluride is quaint.

I don't know where you're coming from, but you might pack a sweatshirt or sweater for the evenings.

Have fun...

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 06:39 AM
gb

Rocky Mountain Park is quite a drive from Breckenridge. I agree with the above poster that the soutwest corner of the state will have a lot to offer. Pagosa Springs has some hot springs, and so do Ouray. Vallacito Reservoir is beautiful. However, I caution you about 4 WD roads. Check with the National Forest Service in Durango before attempting any. Conditions change season to season, and you don't want to get stuck in the back country. Cliff exposures can be extreme an dangerous. Back road driving is challenging, so be selective about which roads you explore. Durango has quite a few rafting companies. Water is very low this year. Have a great time

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 08:05 AM
JR

THE WHITE RIVER NATIONAL FOREST EAST OF MEEKER IS A UNIQUE AREA OF THE ROCKIES THAT HAS EXCELLENT FLY FISHING, HIKING AND HORSEBACK RIDING. IT IS LESS KNOWN AND THERFORE LESS CROWDED. LODGING SHOULD BE EASILY AVAILABLE. CHECK MEEKER WEB SITE.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 11:03 AM
billybob

Navigator. Texas. Is there a never ending supply of Texas yuppies visiting Colorado?

Go to Breckenridge, stay at Beaver Run condos, shop at the outlet stores in Dillon, take the chairlift up the mountain for dinner one night, raft the Arkansas, etc..... Can't you just ask your neighboors.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 04:50 PM
gb

Where you born in Colorado Biily Bob?

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 05:18 PM
Paul

A favorite vacation spot for many Texans is Crested Butte. August is a beautiful month to visit this charming town. It appears to have everything you are looking for in a relaxed low key vacation spot.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 06:45 AM
howard

Both areas are great, and you should visit both at some time. But, after reading what activities you're looking for, I'd recommend the Durango Telluride area. It has just about everything you're looking for, and then some. And, as someone has previously mentioned, make sure you include a visit (at least a day) to Mesa Verde. It's truly one of the great sites in this country.
But again, make sure you go to RMNP in the future!

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 09:15 AM
Leta

Check the post below yours entitled Durango with Family posted 4/19/00. They list a lot of activities they did.

I have never been to Durango, but several times to Breckenridge, they have a terrific alpine slide at the resort. Visit Vail and Vail village. Take the chair lift to the top with bikes and ride down (easiest way). Go rafting. Visit Georgetown and ride the railroad. Frisco and rent mopeds and ride up the mountain trails. All these towns are close together. And of course lots of hiking, picnics and fishing. The evenings are cool.

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 06:59 AM
mary

Boy, Billibob above is sure rude!

I am a native Coloradoan. While Breckenridge is nice - You would have to navigate the Awful interstate I70 to get there and again to travel (about 2.5 hours) over to Rocky Mountain National Park. If you do choose Breckenridge or anything along I70 - avoid Sunday afternoons - unless you enjoy seeing the scared highway mountains from a highway parking lot!

The Durango area would be my choice - I'm not sure what your route coming from the south would be but the Great Sand Dunes, Pagosa Springs, Durango, Mesa Verde, Silverton, Ouray, Gunnison, Crested Butte, Pikes Peak, Colorado Springs is a great circle trip. You can also travel farther north through Aspen, Glenwood Springs, Vail, Breckenridge, Georgetown, Denver - But then you have to deal with I70 in the Summer again.

Have a great Trip - We love a our Texan visitors - And all visitors who don't move here.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:24 AM
curious

Just wondering, I've seen on several posts that people recommend taking the train to and bus from on the Silverton-Durango route. Why? Why not the train round trip?

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Ellen

Hello,
I went to Colorado last August. We stayed in Colorado Springs and did day trips from there. Driving to the top of Pikes Peak was beautiful...we did that on the first day but I would recommend you wait a couple of days for that. I live in Boston and am not used to the altitude so was feeling a little funky for a few days. From Co. Springs, we drove to Denver and Boulder. You must see Garden of the Gods, huge red boulders. We just drove all over the place and found Co. Springs a great place to start from.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 11:28 AM
xxxx

Why would anyone drive such a silly ridiculous vehicle? I'm so embarrassed for you!

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Connie

I think you drive a great car.

We go to Colorado from Texas every year and seen pretty much all of the state. Now the ONLY place I want to go back to over and over is the SW corner. the area around Ouray is called Switzerland of Colorado. The mountains are so much prettier and more awesome than on the east side.

The area around Ouray is well known for old mining roads that people drive with their 4WD or they rent jeeps to do it. Just AWESOME scenery.

If you take the train both ways it makes for a really long day. It is about 3 hours one way.

The area of Ouray, Silverton, Durango, Mesa Verde, Telluride, and the Black Canyon make a loop. You could either stay at one place and take a couple of day trips or stay in more than one place. I think you could easily stay in one place.

If you like small and quaint, I would pick Ouray or Silverton. If you like larger, Durango is a very nice town.

I like Rocky Mountain N.P. but the scenery of the SW corner is prettier to me and has a LOT more to do.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 04:16 PM
accident

Texans come in the winter. They die hitting trees while skiing, or go over cliffs while snowmobiling. They come here in the summer. They die overturning their obnoxious 4WD's or they get hit by lightning sitting outside during a storm. Go figure. Maybe they should all just commit a crime and execute themselves.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 04:47 PM
debra

Colorado would be in a pretty sad state of affairs without all the tourism money from Texans and other outsiders.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 11:04 AM
undertaker

You mean Colorado would be a lot like Texas is now? Yeehaw!

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 12:23 PM
kima

as this original thread is 2 years old are we just talkin texans?

Anyway Debra, right on! As a Coloradan whenever we meet a Texan on the lifts we THANK them for coming and dpending there money. Behind thier backs we do wonder about the big hair & makeup though. How its stands up to wind and snow is beyond me.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 04:26 PM
debra

They say Texas has the prettiest women.

Never heard anyone say that Colorado has the prettiest women.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 12:27 PM
kima

Ummm must be that hair and makeup, yes? Hands down Texas women do take more care with appearences. Just that we in Colorado would rather Ski better , bike better, kayak better, hike further, snowshoe higher than LOOK good. Its all about what is important to YOU.

In any case keep spending your money here and thanks!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -