Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which week long trip with 3yr old in April...Disneyland & Palm Springs or Phoenix & Sedona?

Search

Which week long trip with 3yr old in April...Disneyland & Palm Springs or Phoenix & Sedona?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Susan

Planning on a trip in late March or early April with 3 yr old son. Would like a little activity mixed with swimming & relaxing by the pool. We live in San Diego, so would drive to DL & PS, but could fly to PHX and rent car to go to Sedona a few days. We've never been to PHX/Sedona. We have Annual passes to DL, because we really like it. We have been to PS a few times and like staying at Rancho Las Palmas. Just not sure if we should try out Phx/Sedona this year.

Any helpful experiences or suggestions welcome. Thank you!

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 12:05 PM
SD

We also live in SD and have done both trips quite often, however, our youngest is 5. The AZ trip would defintely be more relaxing, and the flight is only an hour. If you do go to Scottsdale for a change of pace, try to stay at the fairmont Princess. They have one of the best kids pools we've ever been to, and my kids love Rancho Las Palmas. They have the requisite waterslide, like RLP but don't let you go down with your kid so that probably wouldn't work for you. The pool though is kind of like a little lagoon that starts out at ground level and meanders around up to like 5 ft at the deepest. My kids stuck around the 2-3 feet area and had a blast..no worries about keeping heads above water or crowding around steps to stay up. Also have a pond stocked with fish that literally jump onto the kids poles...they eat bread! Great spa for mom too! Tons more features but don't want to get too long winded here. I'll repost if you're interested.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Susan

Thank you for the response. I have checked the Fairmont Princess and it is already booked, March & early April.

Any other suggestions? Thank you.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 07:50 AM
me

There are some lovely resorts in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. Also Tucson is a nice place to visit. If you plan on relaxing at a nice resort, AZ would be great. I don't really know what kind of activites, outside the resort, in Sedona and Pheonix a 3 yr old would enjoy. We were there recently with our kids but they were much older.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Dave

In Phoenix, try one of the Pointe resorts. The Pointe South Mountain (no longer a Hilton like the other two pointes I'll mention in a minute) just added a HUGE waterpark. I believe it has stuff for kids of all ages.
The Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak has a lazy river that's fun for kids. The Pointe Tapatio Cliffs had a lot of kids programs (free at the time) during spring break last year. Free hula hoop lessons, balloon tosses, etc. Not a kids camp (don't know the ages or cost on it), just kid activities. They have a water slide but would probably be too scary for your 3 year old.
A big plus on the Pointes: they are all suites and generally not as expensive as Princess, Hyatt, AZ Biltmore.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 06:42 PM
carolyn

I live in Phoenix, the Pointe South Mountain is really fun. There is a lazy river, a wave pool, 2 huge slides (that your son can't go on) and 4 other pools. Not to mention that every room is a suite (like all the Pointes) Squaw Peak Pointe has a great