Reload this Page >

Which Trip - Glacier NP or Sequoia/Kings Canyon/Yosemite

Old May 30th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Wife and I have been discussing places for next summer's vacation and have it boiled down to Glacier National Park or Sequoia/Kings Canyon/Yosemite.

We enjoy light to moderate day hikes and all the things the National Parks have to offer.

Besides the non-NPS spots, we've been to Grand Canyon, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Acadia so we are aware of the pros/cons that many good folks offer up as far as lodging and food accomodations.

We enjoy the incredible views and wildlife (might be tough to beat Yellowstone).

We don't necessarily need to do day trips but enjoy them if they are reasonable as far as money and distance.

Although each place offers unique and exciting experiences which can make it difficult to make a choice, any preferences based on experience?

Thank you.
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:00 AM
maj

What month do you plan to go and how long will you be there?

We spent 5 nights in Yosemite and 5 in the Sequoia/Kings Canyon area. We spent 4 nights in Glacier. Also, Glacier's season is much shorter so if you are going in June, weather might be iffy, and that time would be best in Yosemite to see the falls. (I know someone who couldn't go on the trails at Logan's Pass in July because of snow and we had gorgeous weather in mid September -- can't count on the weather).

IMO nothing beats Yellowstone for wildlife although next closest would be Glacier. Glacier also has unbelievable views, but Yosemite has fantastic views also.

If you are going to Glacier and plan on spending a couple of weeks (which I think is too long of a time for that park alone) I would try to combine it with a trip to the Canadian Rockies (Banff and Jasper -- although we spent almost two weeks in that area alone).

Tough decision -- just plan on seeing both sometime.

Old May 30th, 2007, 07:36 AM

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those choices as far as scenic wonders. You might have better luck with wild life in Glacier.

maj, mentioned the Canadian Rockies...to me that would be my first choice. Jasper, Banff and the Icefield Highway has some of the most beautiful scenery and wildlife like Yellowstone.

Utahtea
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I forgot some of the details...

Would go near the end of June (i.e. 27th) and stay up to 2 weeks.

If we did Glacier National Park we would indeed also do the Canadian Rockies as well.

Will hopefully get to do both sometime. Whichever doesn't come first, certainly will be next (God willing).

Thanks again!
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:35 AM
maj

Hard decision, but my first choice would also probably be the Glacier/Canadian Rockies. I would start in Glacier mainly for the "awe" factor. We did them in separate trips, but I have seen good advice here (and on the Canada forum) on how to do it in one trip. We'd like to go back to both places doing it that way at some point.

Whichever you decide, you can't go wrong.
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:23 AM

I've been to every NP west of the Rockies in the lower 48 states and while Yosemite is grand, I'd go for Glacier and the Canadian Rockies if Going To The Sun Road is open. There's nothing like that road, the views, the wildlife, etc. But, both would be great trips. Enjoy.
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:24 AM

I agree with the other posters---I love the Canadian Rockies. The scenery and hiking were fantastic. Hike the Lake Louise/Yoho area, spend a day driving and making stops along the Icefields Parkway, and spend at least 2 nights in Jasper to enjoy the sights and wildlife there. If you need suggestions--Judy in Calgary is the Rockies expert on the Fodors Canada forum--she also has a great website.
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:39 AM

If you have two weeks then I would pick Glacier and the Canadian Rockies.

Utahtea
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Check with Glacier NP and see if the Going to the Sun Road will be open then, and if so, go there with the Canadian Rockies too. I would try to save the California parks for when state schools are in session if you can. Fall is perfect there and way fewer crowds. Come to think of it, that goes for every park anywhere!
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:11 PM

Hi,

If you choose Glacier, you will have plenty of time to spend at Waterton Lakes just over the border in Canada. We loved it.
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:36 PM

We live four hours from Yosemite (was just there Memorial Day weekend) but go to Lake Louise/Jasper every year, so I would agree with the other posters that GNP and the Canadian Rockies would be the better choice.
Why--more to see and do, not as congested, numerous hiking trails for all ability levels, many more hotel options, many more restaurant options, cooler weather, and more wildlife. Unless you are into serious hiking, two weeks in Yosemite and the other parks would be too long, while two weeks for the Canadian Rockies would be just about perfect.
As LindainOhio mentioned in her post, Judy in Calgary has a wealth of valuable information on her website.
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your replies so far.

I will lean towards Glacier and the Rockies.