Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which town on Cape Cod for three 30ish couples?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a town on the Cape where three 30ish couples with no children could spend a week this summer? We would like a town that has some nightlife and is fun, has restaurants and bars, and nice beaches and bicycling. Ideally we would like a house within walking distance of the beach and town. I know there are plenty of ways to search for a place to rent online, but I was wondering what towns are better than others. We would love to pay between $1000-$1500 per week. Any recommendations would be great!

TIA!
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 04:48 PM

I would probably suggest Orleans or Chatham. I am more familiar with Orleans. Both towns are upscale with lots of great restaurants, galleries and shops. Nauset Beach in Orleans is on the Atlantic. That means really cold water. Skaket is on the bay side and is much warmer. Free concets on Monday in the Gazebo at Nauset. Easy to get to the great National Seashore beaches in Wellfleet and to the Beachcomber bar/restaurant right on the beach. A must do experience on Sunday afternoon. Provincetown is about 40 minutes from Orleans. Lots to do..whale watch, shop, Art's Dune Tours. I think you would be looking at $1500 and up for 6 in July or August. July is less crowded and the weather often is better. But it is Cape Cod and one never knows. Hyannis is about 40 minutes away and has the Cape Cod Rail Train and the ferries to Nantucket or the Vineyard for a day trip.

When you narrow it down to a town we can give you lots of ideas.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:54 AM
ltt

chatham was beautiful and centrally located for day trips.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 08:40 AM

I'd probably recommend Chatham but getting a place within walking distance both to town and beach may take some doing. I suggest you look at sites like vrbo.com, cyberrentals.com, etc. to get an idea of what's available and be prepared for sticker shock. Also, the most desireable properties go fast. Lots of folks make return res. for the next yr when they leave. Good luck.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:18 PM

The character of Provincetown and Chatham is very different and as such think about what you will enjoy and book accordingly. Chatham is one of the watering holes of the wealthy "subrban" american set. If you recall the Preppy Handbook from the late 1970's, this could be where it was written. The beaches are gorgeous and the shopping although pricy can be fun.Provincetown on the other hand is Woodstock, Paris, and a 1700's whaling village all rolled into one....artistic people, lots of great reseraunts, bars, craft shopping, high end shopping, galleries and parties all weekend long, great beaches, boating etc,
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:06 AM

Try Wood's hole. Great place. Ferry to Martha's vineyard.Great lighthouse.Paul
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:56 AM

Provincetown would be my choice. It can get a little "wacky" but it has everything you are looking for. Great bicycling in the National Seashore, entertainment, the beach, etc. I think Chatham is boring!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:03 AM

I hope that $1,000-$1500 per week is per couple, not for the entire group, because you won't find a 3 bedroom at that price. Personally I would vote for Chatham, you should be able to find a nice 3 bedroom place for between 3K-4.5K a week. Chatham is very charming, has nice restaurants and is very, very beautiful.

I see that no one has mentioned it so here it goes, just in case their are any homophopes in your group, but Provincetown has a high gay population, so if that's going to harm anyone's sensibilities, consider it. It's a much more funky town than Chatham, and IMO, not as pretty, but it definitely has better restaurants, more bars and a more "party" atmosphere.

If I were single, Provincetown would be more fun, but going with other couples, I'd choose Chatham and do P-town as a say (actually night) trip.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:04 AM

Excuse all the spelling errors, I'm not used to posting on message boards with no edit feature!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Nina, In this day and age do you really think, young couples would have problems with this:

Nina's words:
"Provincetown has a high gay population, so if that's going to harm anyone's sensibilities, consider it. "
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I work with a couple of people who have been to Provincetown on many occasions and like it. As for the gay community there, I am well aware of it, as I live in MA. It is not a problem for me nor anyone else in the group. It sounds like it might be a good fit for us . . . we are all teachers and although we all live in the suburbs we are certainly not considered the "wealthy suburban set."
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 04:36 PM

SusieQ, I don't pretend to have any idea what or who people might have a problem with, I have no idea what mindset people have.

I've been very surprised by the provincial viewpoints held by some, I spoke with someone recently who found it appalling that wine would be served at a party where children would be present, who knew people felt that way? They actually felt that it bordered on criminal behavior.

All I'm saying is, you can't be sure that every 30 year old is going to be comfortable around a lot of openly gay couples, even if it is 2006.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 05:19 PM

Nina, IMHO your information about P'town seemed out of place unless your own "sensibilities are harmed" by seeing openly gay people. By the way, what DOES that mean?
I guess if you are bothered by "a high gay population", then you must have to stay away from quite a few places....including my part of NJ.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Nina is being unfairly maligned.

She offered factual and relevant information, in no way indicating any bias on her part.

And, yes, in "this day and age," some people are still homophobic.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:01 PM

Although the nightlife is limited, it is not non-existent in Falmouth. There is also the wonderful (!!) Shining Sea Bikeway which goes between Falmouth and Woods Hole. We have been going to this area of the Cape since we were in our 30s and continue to enjoy it immensely. Another great advantage is being able to go on a day trip to Martha's Vineyard, as the Steamship Authority goes from Woods Hole to MV many times/day.

As a side note, the bikeway named for the song America the Beautiful ("sea to shining sea") was written by a Lesbian, Katharine Lee Bates whose hometown was Falmouth. Homosexuality has been an aspect of human nature for many moons!!

BTW, nina, there *is* an edit feature, if you click on "preview my reply" before you post it, "edit" will be one of your choices.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 04:44 AM

Thank you social worker, and you too tburke, as the aunt and good friend of 2 wonderful gay women, I know all too well that there are still many homophobic people in the world.

SusieQ, don't be so quick to judge people.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:26 AM

I am not going to keep this going any longer. But, it's hard to resist, considering your last cliche statement. No more will be heard from me in this thread!!!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Glad to hear it.