Which route? Chicago to Wisconsin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:42 AM
Router

Which is a better, more scenic route?

Chicago to Madison to Dells to Milwaukee to Green Bay...or...

Chicago to Milwaukee to Madison to Dells to Green Bay?

which place for a one-night stayover would you recommend and how much time to spend at each destination?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:09 PM
jpm

I live in Madison. Depending on where you leave from in Chicago will determine the quickest route. Believe it or not, from O'Hare, the milage to Madison going through Rockford or Milwaukee is almost identical - so that shouldn't be a deciding factor. Traffic probably isn't as bad going through Rockford.

I'm not sure what you itinerary is, but I would highly recommend visiting the State Capitol in Madison. Having visited many it is one of the most beautiful I've seen. Try to get to the outside observation post at the top of the dome. Many people recommend the farmer's market on Saturday mornings but I find it is just a bunch of overpriced veggies for the yuppie bunch trying to experience a little bit of the country life. ;-)

If going to the Dells, that is probably the best place to spend the night. It is a tourist trap - which means it is a lot of fun. If you decide to take a boat tour of the Dells, do the Upper Dells, much more scenic.

Oops, just read your original post and you asked for the most scenic route - sorry, - both routes are fairly boring. If you want scenic and have time, head to Madison using secondary roads (in other words, draw a straight line from Chicago to Madison and take roads that approximate this route), there is some lovely countryside that you will find.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:45 PM
Susan

I used to live in Madison; here's my 2¢ worth: the second of your proposed routes makes more sense in terms of not backtracking or going out of your way.

JPM is right about the mundane nature of the interstates. Take Highway 12 out of Madison up to the Dells -- it is a lovely drive and maybe even a hair shorter.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:22 PM
Router

Thanks to you both! I went to the Dells website and thought my kids would love it there. I also noticed they have a drive-in theater! Where we live, they have all been torn down, so although this isn't something you'd ordinarily experience on a trip, I think I'll do that, too!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 03:35 AM
xxx

Router: Are you returning to Chicago at the end of your trip? If so, Chicago-Madison-Dells-Green Bay-Milwaukee would seem to make the most sense.